• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How long do your clothes last?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do they last you a long time or do you go through them quickly?

No longer fit?

Wear them out?

Dispose of due to style change?

Other?

I got dressed this morning and found that most everything I was wearing is older than my kids. Nothing wrong with a Travis Tritt T-R-O-U-B-L-E shirt but I think it's 17 years old.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm wearing the bathrobe that I wore at the hospital when my son, now 14, was born. I think those who have clothes that last for years are people who dress in classic styles that never go out of vogue. Trendy is costly.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I kind of agree with CG here. Many of my shirts are older than my daughter. My jeans... I am hard on those... and the waist in them has been shrinking... I go through a few pairs of jeans a year. I DO still have my team track T-Shirt from my freshman year of high school. It has been washed so many times that the screen printed name on the back is about to come clear out... attached to the cloth.... Before long there will be holes in the back spelling my last name. I also have shirt that is about 25 years old that my uncle got in High school. It is still hole and in remarkable shape. One of the most comfortable I own...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think those who have clothes that last for years are people who dress in classic styles that never go out of vogue.
I actually got complimented once last year.

My "trendy" niece said what wonderful stuff I was wearing. I cluelessly (sp?) thanked her. Later, I asked her mom (my sister) what she was talking about. My sister explained that the stuff I was wearing was all the rage. Ummm, it's the same stuff I've been wearing for 20 years. (North Face parka, Lee jeans, Cabela's sweater...). I guess it does come back in style every couple decades.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm wearing the bathrobe that I wore at the hospital when my son, now 14, was born. I think those who have clothes that last for years are people who dress in classic styles that never go out of vogue. Trendy is costly.
Absolutely!
For winter I have some turtlenecks and lots of sweaters that I've taken care of and had them for years, same with jackets and slacks.
They are basic classic attire.
I buy more new scrubs than I do everyday wear:yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, as for the clothes that no longer fit... I give them to my kids.

My daughter is 11 and is tall for her age (as tall as Mrs. Zoom and about 4" shorter than me).

She wears my old "dress" T-shirts, BDU's, sweatshirts, winter gear... She's unfortunately for me found that my winter gloves, Carhartt's etc also fit her.

Here's a pic of her when she was 10. Yes, that's my BDU's from the Marine's (27 years ago). She also grew into my ATV :( But she does look just like me, don't you think?

Attachments

• CIMG4073s.jpg
    CIMG4073s.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 189

The Tourist

Banned
During my adult job I wore good suits, like Dior. They lasted and could be tailored. I wore out the collars on a few dress shirts. (I always wore black ones, never white.)

Now I wear Harley crap. The T-shirts wear like iron, the boots never wear out at all, and the jeans remind me of stuff I wore in the 1960s. In fact, except for an eight year old T-shirt, I cannot remember throwing away damaged Harley products.

Edit: Leather jackets develop "character."

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
WEeeell, She does have pretty eyes. Our daughter wore CBs marine stuff and my son played with it, too. I know teens who shop at thrift stores and the salvation army store for "really cool old clothes".

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Now I wear Harley crap. The T-shirts wear like iron, the boots never wear out at all, and the jeans remind me of stuff I wore in the 1960s. In fact, except for an eight year old T-shirt, I cannot remember throwing away damaged Harley products.

I can't afford HD clothes so my jeans come from Fleet Farm when they go on sale for $10-12 and last maybe a year - 6 months work duty then 6 months "work at home" duty and they are torn and thread-bare. I wear collar "polo" shirts for work and they last a year or a little more. My t-shirts vary greatly in their life, depending what I do while wearing them...

I wear out the inside of shoes before the outside usually, a year-ish for tennis shoes and 2-3 years for safety toe shoes for work.

Due to the horrible global warming, UV and weather exposure most of my leather riding gear is shrinking!! :glare:

(Yes it is.)

The Tourist

Banned
Due to the horrible global warming, UV and weather exposure most of my leather riding gear is shrinking!!(Yes it is.)

It actually sounds like 'global warming' is attacking the Krispy Creme donut shop in your area!

I know that Al Core has put the same hex on angel hair pasta!:yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My jeans usually last me about five years. T-shirts, well, I've still got a few from when I was in High school. I usually get around 10 yrs out of the undies and around 2-3 yrs out of the socks. Sweaters, again, I just went through them last year and the ones that had dates on them from the early nineties got tossed. I've never been into the fashion thing so its jeans and t-shirt for me.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
During my adult job I wore good suits, like Dior. They lasted and could be tailored. I wore out the collars on a few dress shirts. (I always wore black ones, never white.)

Bet the Dior stuff was cheaper :yum:

The HD shop is fun though(as well as some of the independant American V-twin shops).

And yes, my 16 year old HD leather jacket has aged well. They don't want to work on my bike('84 FXR), but they still wanna sell me tshirts etc. I don't buy much of that any more. They charge me $25+ for a tshirt that advertises thier shop? They should pay me to wear it and advertise for them:hammer:

Elsewise, per the thread, I used to wear Levi's 501 mostly. I found the last ten years or so they just do not last like they used to, like the cheapened the fabric. Wranglers last mush better.

Hutchman

Site Supporter
I'm so tough I wear my clothes wear out from the inside first!:brows:
I guess my Mom ruined me on dressing well. She always had me dressed up like it was Sunday-go-to-meetin' time when I was a kid, and I rebelled. Mostly wear jeans or shorts, Polo type or t-shirts, and sneakers. I go througha couple pairs of jeans a year. Once it gets warm enough, I'll have shorts on until fall, unless somebody dies or gets married. I have a closet full of shirts, but it seems like I get stuck on wearing the same few until I wear them out. I buy my New Balance, only shoe I can find here with the 4E width, sneakers at Shoe Carnival when they have the buy one get the second pair at half price, and those two pairs last about a year.
To this day, I'm 53, when I go down to see my folks, Mom spends a big part of the time trying to get me to go shopping so she can buy me some "decent" clothes.
Hutch

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
i wear them till im too fat to get in em. then i buy more. to hell with 'todays style' ive got black sabbath, queen, pink floyd, the who, and yes band shirts. screw the kids nowadays, they dont know STYLE! and down low, nothing but denim, baby!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Sushi has his stolen long before he wears them out. The rumor is that it's being done by secret agents.

:sad: Yeah well, I needed new ones anyhow. I buy a new pack every 4 or 5 months and toss out the oldest ones. LIFO method.

I get all my clothes (minus shoes and glasses) from discount/resale shops.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
My clothes last until the wife bins them and buys new....she knows what i like to wear and dont try changing that.

Jeans & T-shirt and the odd shirt and tie.....why complicate things.:biggrin: