• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snow cat rescue

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
great day of helping out a fellow snow cat that had a small problem, well big problem, about seven miles from the nearest road, and a broken front axle,

all fixed and off the mountain, successful rescue.

Attachments

• DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 470
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 423
  • DSC_0043.jpg
    DSC_0043.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC_0049.jpg
    DSC_0049.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 430
  • DSC_0052.jpg
    DSC_0052.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC_0061.jpg
    DSC_0061.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 430
  • DSC_0063.jpg
    DSC_0063.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 436
  • DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 430
  • DSC_0073.jpg
    DSC_0073.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 505

mikemikelle

Good to know you are all available for when I brake mine......hint, hint, and that you're committed to 2 tracks also!!!

Great people!!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
:thumbup:

Every Snow cat owner should be aware that a machine can break down for no fault of the owner. We regularly go were not much other than another snow cat can get to.

Great to see the team work to help a stranded cat in the wild. For many owners it is not a question of if this may happen some day, but rather When it will happen. At this point, it is great to know there is some help out there!

I commend your efforts. As they say, what goes around comes around.. :wink:

Regards, Kirk

PJL

My cat is in excellent shape, but it is 30 years old. One needs to carry some basic tools, extra fluids and have some mechanical know how. I also have water, MRE's and self heating survival blankets when everything else fails.

Sno-Surfer

It was a fun day. It was great to see how this was fixed onsite and does make you feel better knowing that there are people willing to help. Thanks to SnoDrifter and the Princess for making the haul out and bringing the necessary tools and supplies to get the cat off the mountain.
This is the Crag Rats search and rescue cat. They are the oldest search and rescue group in the country and an extremely valuable resource here. These guys save a lot of lives every year. It was really nice to be able to help them.
After the repair I ran up to the Cloud Cap Inn with Walter, one of the rats that probably climbs around Hood more than anyone. Always a treat to check out the inn and it’s long history dating back to the late 1800’s.

29BC5484-5BE3-467F-9240-892F4F56B4DC.jpg

81A4DD3C-1C64-48C8-9590-97FEC8BC9BD6.jpg

DA13AAC5-EABF-4AD6-84BB-9CA99F64F620.jpg

DBF0EA81-4EEF-4C9C-AC41-D62AF34CD0BA.jpg

C2B0BB80-9325-4E9B-91FB-73BD795E6772.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
seems like...

all fixed

great adventure...

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ef.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ef.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 413
  • fullsizeoutput_f2.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_f2.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 366

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
My cat is in excellent shape, but it is 30 years old. One needs to carry some basic tools, extra fluids and have some mechanical know how. I also have water, MRE's and self heating survival blankets when everything else fails.

sounds like you will never need a tucker friend?:yum::yum::yum:

so your plan is to wait for summer to come?

Last edited:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When it comes to STUMP vs. DMC, stump wins. Sheared the inside of the solid square torsion bar off and tore the limiting collar off too. Moral be super careful when snow level is low and you are way out by yourself.

This group rescues folks on the mountains you see in the photos and they get to any place on the mountain. They were happy to have their cat back on the trailer.

Attachments

• Craig rat stump.jpg
    Craig rat stump.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 404
  • Craig rat cat.jpg
    Craig rat cat.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 372

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice group of snowcatters even if you partial to ORANGE!
So what was the fix? Just weld the arm for now?

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The torsion bar got located and welded to the axle. The torsion bar before welding is sitting on the back of the 544 CF Tucker to the left of the hood. They have located a new front axle. Could the broken square axle and rubber be removed and new installed? The rubber did not like me welding on the housing but it was my understanding that it would all be replaced. Can you rebuild it? Probably not to hard to scarf the repair off, I did not cut into the tube. Zero knowledge of RED here.

Last edited:

PJL

"Sounds like you will never need a tucker friend?"

I'm only a short drive north of you. I'll wait.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang, that would have been the perfect major trip for the rebuild. Helped someone else out, and had plenty of help if something went wrong. Oh well.

More snow now please.

CT

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

In the mountains a couple of rocket propelled flares might come in handy as well. I keep 2 in my tool box on the Snow Trac... just in case. Not to mention you have to rotate old stock now and then. I suggest New Years eve to take care of the old. Guess What I did on New Years eve, lol! :thumbup:

Damn things are bright, lite up my country side to the point I got calls from the neighbors! :smile:

Regards, Kirk

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
the adventure was good and far more importantly, we got to pay it back to the guys that save lives on the mountain,

they do not get paid, they are all volunteer organization, so, we got to help a little by saving their cat, so they could do the really important work of saving peoples lives

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
where are you all when I break mine I always have to fix it my self. Which means no time for pictures.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
been a long time since I broke anything beyond what I could fix with a multipliers

No problem Don, we will send up a barge full of stumps so you will be able to run into them and share the fun.

Attachments

• Craig rat stump.jpg
    Craig rat stump.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 184