• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Obama Backers Tied to Lobbies Raise Millions

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What surprised me is that this is from the NY Times. :eek:

Obama Backers Tied to Lobbies Raise Millions

WASHINGTON — Despite a pledge not to take money from lobbyists, President Obama has relied on prominent supporters who are active in the lobbying industry to raise millions of dollars for his re-election bid.

At least 15 of Mr. Obama’s “bundlers” — supporters who contribute their own money to his campaign and solicit it from others — are involved in lobbying for Washington consulting shops or private companies. They have raised more than $5 million so far for the campaign.

Because the bundlers are not registered as lobbyists with the Senate, the Obama campaign has managed to avoid running afoul of its self-imposed ban on taking money from lobbyists.

But registered or not, the bundlers are in many ways indistinguishable from people who fit the technical definition of a lobbyist. They glide easily through the corridors of power in Washington, with a number of them hosting Mr. Obama at fund-raisers while also visiting the White House on policy matters and official business.

As both a candidate and as president, Mr. Obama has vowed to curb what he calls the corrupting influence of lobbyists, barring them not only from contributing to his campaign but also from holding jobs in his administration. While lobbyists grouse about the rules, ethics watchdogs credit the changes with raising ethical standards in Washington.

more: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/u...-have-ties-to-lobbying.html?_r=1&ref=politics

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
So let me see if I understand this. Obama made a pledge under the terms of his first time running for president and lived up to it. Now that the SCOTUS has said that corporations are people too and all of the Republican candidates are collecting under the new rules, he shouldn't? As far as I'm concerned it is catty bar the door as the fight is on for all the money one can get in todays money buys power political atmosphere.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe Obummer has lost his luster in the eyes of the media?:doh:

Hopefully the begining of a new trend.:whistling:

The gloves are off when it comes to campain contributions. Even if it means breaking promises. Each election cycle the money gets bigger and bigger. Some day this country needs to do something about this farse. We need of the people, by the people, and for the people of our nation, Not the biggest wallet wins.

Regards, Kirk

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
So let me see if I understand this. Obama made a pledge under the terms of his first time running for president and lived up to it. Now that the SCOTUS has said that corporations are people too and all of the Republican candidates are collecting under the new rules, he shouldn't? As far as I'm concerned it is catty bar the door as the fight is on for all the money one can get in todays money buys power political atmosphere.

Corporations have always been considered to be "persons." If you're referring to the Citizens United decision, that had nothing to do with corporate campaign contributions.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
It didn't and who are you kidding now Sam. :hammer:

It opened the flood gates of hell on campaign contributions. Reversed all previous rulings by the SCOTUS, and you guys speak of activist judges.

But then what do I know I'm a simple common citizen that is the typical work for a living American. I haven't got millions to throw at political campaigns to vote my way. All I have is one vote and an open mind, though too bad I live in a place where my vote doesn't count at all.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
It didn't and who are you kidding now Sam. :hammer:

It opened the flood gates of hell on campaign contributions. Reversed all previous rulings by the SCOTUS, and you guys speak of activist judges.

But then what do I know I'm a simple common citizen that is the typical work for a living American. I haven't got millions to throw at political campaigns to vote my way. All I have is one vote and an open mind, though too bad I live in a place where my vote doesn't count at all.

"It" did nothing of the sort. Read Citizens United.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
What does it have to do with reading I see the results of it. Look at the money spent in this election cycle alone and how much greater it is. No more transparency in who gave what. Oh and I did read it when it happened, it boils down to how it is used.

loboloco

Ummm, Joe. Citizens United referred to campaign advertising ran(and paid for) by the corporation and struck down large parts of McCain-Feingold. Contribution limits were not touched, though the court seems very wary of restricting 'free speech' in that form.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Well have you looked at the ads on TV lately? Do you see how it has even trickled down to local elections. If you don't then perhaps you aren't getting the whole picture in your area. I consider those ads just as political and pro candidate without mentioning them by name as those that do.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Lies, more lies and damm lies.

This from the NYT's of all sources.

“Politics as usual has replaced hope and change in politics, policy development, and clearly now fundraising,” Democratic pollster Doug Schoen told Newsmax in the light of the Times piece. “The change we were promised just has not happened.

The Times
says there are at least 15 Obama bundlers who could be considered as lobbyists. These include:

• Drug company executive Sally Susman, who the Times says “leads Pfizer’s powerful lobbying shop,” yet is not registered with the Senate as a lobbyist. She has raised more than $500,000 and has visited the White House four times;
  • David Cohen, who oversees lobbying for the Comcast Corporation and hosted Obama at a $10,000-a-head fundraiser at his home in Philadelphia. He has also raised at least half a million dollars;
  • Alex Heckler, who founded the Florida consulting company LSN Partners, which boasts of its contacts with “a strong network of lobbying firms.” Heckler’s bio says he “helps clients in all aspects of government affairs and sales; including legislation, procurement, solicitations, contracts, teaming and strategic planning. The Times says Heckler has raised $200,000;”
  • Andy Spahn, former lobbyist for the movie company DreamWorks and chief of staff to former California Gov. Gray Davis, who now runs a government relations company in Los Angeles and whose website talks about his “extensive relationships in Washington, D.C.” He has raised at least $500,000;
  • Michael Kempner, who runs the New Jersey firm MWW Group which advertises its “important relations with both the Democratic and Republican leadership.” Kempner employs seven registered lobbyists, although he is not registered himself. He too has raised at least $500,000.
“Registered or not, the bundlers are in many ways indistinguishable from people who fit the technical definition of a lobbiest.

Read more on Newsmax.com: Obama Skirts Own Fundraising Rules as Small Donors Flee
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

Is this not the croniyism and fat cat demogogery we once heard from a humble little orator from Illinois?

As for his message of HOPE AND CHANGE,,,,,,,God, I hope we can "change" it.

franc