Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Seriously Speaking Forum

Seriously Speaking Forum Heartbreaking Stories, Love Life or Family issues, Prayer requests, Serious Discussion only. No joking or smart-alecky remarks.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Banned

urednecku is on a distinguished road
Style: T66
Default I can get in your front door....

...easily, with a 'bump key.' This tells how to make a key that will fit almost ANY lock. This is scary.

There are several "how to" video's there.. It looks too easy.
web-search "bump key"....
Old 04-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Klaatu barada nikto

DaveNay is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I can get in your front door....

Quote:
Originally Posted by urednecku View Post
...easily, with a 'bump key.' This tells how to make a key that will fit almost ANY lock. This is scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTVBWCijEQ

There are several "how to" video's there.. It looks too easy.
web-search "bump key"....
Way too complicated. The best universal key is a auto body sliding hammer with a stainless steel screw on the end....thread it into the brass lock and just a few hits will pop out nearly any lock cylinder.

Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence.
Napoleon Bonaparte

If God were suddenly condemned to live the life which He has inflicted upon men, He would kill Himself.
Alexandre Dumas
Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Banned

urednecku is on a distinguished road
Style: T66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNay View Post
Way too complicated. The best universal key is a auto body sliding hammer with a stainless steel screw on the end....thread it into the brass lock and just a few hits will pop out nearly any lock cylinder.
Or my #11 boot on the door. Not usually much challenge to that either.(Yea, I've done that, but the house was on fire. )

Beauty of bump key, not much more noise than the correct key, residents might not even hear it, especially if your watching TV. Lock the door behind you and no signs of forced entry. I watched several of the videos, it looks real simple. Wouldn't take much practice, even on a master lock, to be real proficient with the method.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Master of Distraction

PBinWA will become famous soon enoughPBinWA will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by urednecku View Post
I can get in your front door....
Watch out for what is coming out (or through) my door!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

Old 04-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

ddrane2115 is on a distinguished road

wonder what they do about the body stopper on the other side of the door? In my house that is a .380 loaded to the rim with lead.........or if that is not sufficient, 3 20 gauge slugs..............

but hey neat to see it work

vote out congress and the senate in 2010, give obama a real problem, no 'yes' men
Old 04-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

American Woman is on a distinguished road
Style: ----T66A

Something to think about....if I was driving by a house where a guy had his key ring out and unlocking his front door I wouldn't think anything about it...but if he's banging on a screw driver in the key hole, or kicking it with what ever size or type of shoe he may be wearing I may think about that one and call the cops or something.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

ddrane2115 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Woman View Post
Something to think about....if I was driving by a house where a guy had his key ring out and unlocking his front door I wouldn't think anything about it...but if he's banging on a screw driver in the key hole, or kicking it with what ever size or type of shoe he may be wearing I may think about that one and call the cops or something.

I can see the kicking, but with the bump key, that would be hard to distinquish between a break in and someone having a time finding the keyhole. They could hide the bump pretty well.

vote out congress and the senate in 2010, give obama a real problem, no 'yes' men
Old 04-07-2008, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

California is on a distinguished road

Years ago I worked as a carpenter for a contractor who did insurance repairs. We fixed breakins all the time. What I learned:

You need 3 to 4 inch screws securing the latchplate to the door jamb, minimum. The screws need to cross a half inch air gap behind the jamb and get a secure hold in the stud surrounding the rough door opening. Door jambs are made of soft pine and are certain to split if they are the only thing absorbing the force of a kick.

After a breakin when you are upgrading security, get the latchplate that takes four 4 inch screws. Or get it before the breakin!

If you are building for security, get a steel door and jamb.

And one tip I learned as an experiment while fixing up a rental I bought: it is amazingly easy to twist off a complete doorknob assembly with the $10 large water pump pliers Name:  WaterPumpPliers-Tiny.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  1.1 KB sold at Kmart in your nearest rough neighborhood. The lock I demolished was a Schlage; Kwikset looks a lot flimsier and you might be able to do that one with your bare hands. The pliers would be easy to conceal, and use without a racket. I'm surprised it isn't the stupid burglar's tool of choice.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Bronze Member

ghautz is on a distinguished road

A few months ago I heard about this trick. There are some relatively expensive (over $100) locksets that are immune to the bump keys. I don't know how they would stand up to the slide hammer and screw, though.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Hangin in Tornado Alley

rback33 is on a distinguished road

I too have seen this before. I did some research and was happy to find out that the locks we put in when we remodeled are a brand that is said to be bump proof. Not that it matters....