• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need an opinion on automatic Tucker’s?

JAGEmpire

Looking at a Tucker but don’t know much about automatic Tucker’s! Are they reliable? Smooth driving? Advantages vs disadvantages?

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
Having had both standard trans and an automatic,I much prefer the automatic trans. With the standard,you end up having to come to a complete stop to change gears,which translates into what ever gear you start the hill in,you will stay in(unless you have to stop and down shift). With the automatic,I can upshift on hills as I climb. On the flats in deep snow I usually never got out of 1st or 2nd,and my clutch probably didn't appreciate starting in 2nd.or higher.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
For pulling a drag groomer the manual makes some sense. Better fuel economy at the low speeds we groom at..

Other wise the auto is very nice to have. My 2 cents... :Tech-Support-icon:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
No first hand, but one of my friends that does site access loves the auto. His opinion is something about "the last thing I want to be doing, when the road gets hairy, is shifting".

I'm interested as well - I have an age suitable 440 with auto, push button transmission in an old motor home - motor runs like new with 57,000 miles using propane as fuel - I'd switch to gas if I were to put it in my 1344 - I've watched videos of Tuckers similar to mine with AT and listening to the up shifting and down shifting on the fly makes me envious

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I think Northcoast accurately and succinctly summed it up in his post. But I would add more emphasis, as the difference is (in my opinion) dramatic.

I'm eating major crow to say this because it was my snowcat buddy that sold me on the advantages of an automatic over a manual (in a snowcat application). However I think the automatic really is a game-changer. In our Thundercat project we installed an automatic in place of the stock 5-speed transmission and I'm very glad we did.

If I were searching for a Tucker to buy, in addition to the machines overall condition, I would look first for the cab configuration I wanted (2, 3 or 4 door) and then maybe the automatic, and then the track length. The relative rarity what you want in terms of configuration will largely determine the difficulty of finding it, and I haven't even mentioned that little matter of cost! For example if you said "1643 with an automatic and a front blade", I'd say good luck. I think it's easier to swap carriers and tracks than convert a manual machine to an automatic.

That brings up another issue, one that stirs debate on the forum...

When Tucker started offering an automatic transmission option it was the Chrysler Loadflite, a version of the 727 Torqueflite. Both are three speed non-overdrive transmissions. Tucker also offered the Allison AT-545, which is a four speed non-overdrive transmission. I suspect the Allison option was substantially more expensive, but I don't know that with certainty.

Some on this forum, notably Snowtrac Nome and Teamster, are big fans of the Chrysler 727. I think the Allison is the better transmission for the Tucker application. In my Tucker experience I have talked with the factory on several occasions. Most of those conversations have been with Jeff Godard. Jeff now works in sales but he was the manager of the parts and service departments previously. Basically he is an encyclopedia of Tucker knowledge (and a heck of a nice guy!).

The Chrysler Loadflite was offered with either a long or a short tailshaft configuration. Tucker used the short version. Jeff told me of a customer machine brought in for service. They discovered the tailshaft casting was broken and sought a replacement. They could not find one anywhere, at any price.

Others are going to tell you that was a unique experience and the chances of that happening to you are remote. I don't know, maybe they're right, maybe not. But as one who has searched exhaustively for parts (and come up empty) I think that's something to keep in mind.

Sleddogracer, I would suggest you measure the overall length of your 440 and automatic transmission and then compare that to your current setup. I think you'll find it won't fit.

I'm guessing you've got a Chrysler 318 Industrial engine and a four or five speed manual. The engine likely attaches to the Tucker with a casting bolted to the front of the engine and a single stud that bolts to the Tucker. The transmission bellhousing likely has an "ear" on each side of the casting that bolts to welded on brackets on each side of the Tucker. The transmission itself bolts to the bellhousing, but there is no separate transmission mount. Also note the parking brake drum setup on your transmission. Now go look at the 440... I'm guessing everything is different.

On our Thundercat project I talked with a couple of shops that build custom driveshafts and IIRC the shortest they could build was 5 1/8". Even using that short a driveshaft we had to move the front axle assembly forward two inches so there was clearance between the fifth wheel plate and the oil pan. But it didn't stop there as we also had to move the six-way blade support arms forward, and we had to modify the transmission pan and the front driveshaft had to be lengthened. Finally, we had to lengthen the front steering tie rod.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at a Tucker but don’t know much about automatic Tucker’s! Are they reliable? Smooth driving? Advantages vs disadvantages?

What year?

If you are targeting a newer full rubber tracked machine you will be diesel and automatic.

If you are looking at the rubber belted steel groused machines there is a variety of options.

If you are targeting old chain drives closed pontoons is manual ville.

I have a 1542 that lives with a 28' tail on it for grooming snow. I can start out and shift between 1,2,3 the trans has a L which is super slow. and a 4 which can reach a pretty good clip (faster than I would like to throw a pc of angle iron at my head) I like the stick because I have multiple ways to control the machine.
I Have a 1642 ME that i am learning to like as well. it was a 440CI engine with an allison according to the seller, it currently has a new 360 and rebuilt 540 allison. the seller claims the allison trans is the same one just rebuilt it.
My first impression operating the machine was awkward for me as I had to rev the engine higher than I would have liked to get it to shift up regardless of shifter position. there is no linkage to adjust or vacuum lines to manipulate. Down shifts seem to be right on time and perfectly Rev matched.
Now that I have operated it a bit and put the drag on it the four speed auto matic is nice. I drop it in three and push the throttle down and sit back and watch the gas gauge do its thing. With out the drag, I can throw snow up and all around to the point that I wonder if the 4th in the 540 is an overdrive.

So are you road running, climbing, lake running, displaying it as lawn art, looking for a project to tinker on, or grooming snow.

in the funny department, you will most likely wind up owning two so get one of ea.:smline2:

JAGEmpire

I was going to use it for snowcat tours. Road, some climbing and narrow trails. It is a gas machine with rubber tracks. And you are right... I will probably still search for an old pontoon for nostalgia. Thanks for the info

Tye one on

I have had both and hands down auto is the way to go for your application. I have the Allison in a 1543 with the 318 rubber tracker and the auto makes it a joy to drive in all conditions.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I have had both and hands down auto is the way to go for your application. I have the Allison in a 1543 with the 318 rubber tracker and the auto makes it a joy to drive in all conditions.

what do you have in your golf, cart,

FYI, thinking a golf course is about the only place anyone will see Mr.Tye One On this winter

so, whats the handicap ?

without doubt, rubber tracked machine, Automatic is the right way to go

Last edited:

Tye one on

Haha, only autos in my golf carts! Did they put autos on steel trackers? If they did I would steer clear only from the prospective of speed, way to easy to stick your foot in it and cause excessive wear and damage. Handicap is getting right down there! Almost headed out with the cat today but ice storm made me shy away, may get it out sometime this week.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
they did have automatic transmission in 1953 and 54 tucker freighters, model 743, and that is the only one i know of, but you may want to ask Jeff Mc Neil at Tucker inc,

Aaron Tucker

Semi Automatic . Works really well and yes it will haul ass if you want it to .Took me almost all last year to learn how to drive it correctly .

Funny thing I remember a steel track tucker 442 at last years Colorado Jamboree that was going 14-16mph almost everywhere.He called that going slow! The indication I got from him was that was normal speed . He had alot of miles in the snow and was a very good mechanic with the pontoons. He also was able to run both size rollers with alittle ingenuity . I think keeping them in the deep snow helps alot. Not saying this is recommended but hey some people like to live alittle :horns:
he is here on this form somewhere . feel free to speak up

the new tuckers shift nice with auto-----had a tucker older me----with auto/shifted like shit---very hard shifts-----had and older tucker with a stick---you had to really get moving and shift quick----and pulling a drag----that sucked-----and a steel track 442----14/16-----had one on rubber---cant imagine that even being hammered

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
I’ve got a 1989 1443, 360, Allison AT-545 belted steel grouser and 1960 443 steel pontooned manual. Machines themselves are two different animals in my opinion. But the auto in the 1443 is mucho bueno for our area and use. No grooming, just transport and play but area has lots of hills then flat.