Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Private Investing Forum

Private Investing Forum Discussion of Stocks and Strategies

Old 04-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 4,666 Times in 1,663 Posts
300 H and H will become famous soon enough
Default Glad I don't own any 3M stock

This company is likely to take a beating, if it has not already.

Selling PPE equipment to other countries ahead of our own is criminal to my way of thinking.

I like so many of their products, and understand China insists on keep their production in China in China. But the USA production being sold to other Countries ahead of our own is much harder to explain.

It is going to hard for me to not find alternatives to 3M products..

Regards, Kirk
Snow trac ST4 #267
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 300 H and H For This Useful Post:
beagle hunter (04-03-2020), Doc  (04-03-2020), FrancSevin (04-03-2020), Jim_S  (04-03-2020), m1west (04-03-2020), mla2ofus (04-03-2020), PBinWA  (04-03-2020), TiredRetired (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 10:35 AM
Mr Lovable

Thanked 16,445 Times in 5,695 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Glad I don't own any 3M stock

Those bastards, along with GM should be ashamed of themselves.

When Trump authorized the Defense Act, he said he hoped it was not needed, that companies would step up and do what was right without being forced to do so.

So, here we are, two shitbird companies having to have their balls tied into a knot just to force them to do the right thing for the American people.

To hell with both those companies. I already hated GM cars anyway, so I hate them even more now. As for 3M, I can stay away from those shitheads too. I will support companies that support America without being forced to.

Hillary for Prison. Trump 2020.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
300 H and H (04-03-2020), beagle hunter (04-03-2020), Doc  (04-03-2020), Jim_S  (04-03-2020), m1west (04-03-2020), mla2ofus (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 7,460 Times in 2,406 Posts
Bamby will become famous soon enough
Style: T66_BiggerFont

Well what about all the harp about capitalism often implied here. Capitalism is about the most profit and returns to the company and stockholders after all.
our products are simply to expensive to market.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bamby For This Useful Post:
Doc  (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 12:22 PM
Mr Lovable

TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamby View Post
Well what about all the harp about capitalism often implied here. Capitalism is about the most profit and returns to the company and stockholders after all.
Yes it is and I support that 110% under normal circumstances, however, these are not normal circumstances, what with the Defense Act being enacted by POTUS, so by that very definition, companies need to set aside the need for profits for the need for survival.

Would you be out trying to sell your food or wares supply for the biggest profit while your family sits at home doing without? I would hope not for their sake.

The least common denominator here is survival not profits. Common sense is the common theme here and 3M & GM are lacking in that department.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
300 H and H (04-03-2020), Doc  (04-03-2020), m1west (04-03-2020), mla2ofus (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
Yes it is and I support that 110% under normal circumstances, however, these are not normal circumstances, what with the Defense Act being enacted by POTUS, so by that very definition, companies need to set aside the need for profits for the need for survival.

Quote:
Well the companies need the profit(s) to ensure they are able to survive. They can't pay bills, rents, and wages on pro bono giveaways can they. In times of war or in peace they aren't asked or expected to provide bombs, bullets, or supplies at cost are they.
Would you be out trying to sell your food or wares supply for the biggest profit while your family sits at home doing without? I would hope not for their sake.

Quote:
Yea I might go for a good leveraged trade. My Dad grew up on a farm and all the very best of everything was sold into the market for cash money. Dad never got to enjoy the very pork he fed and attended to in the smokehouse because it brought in some of the most cash money. They did consume the cheep cuts such as shoulder steaks and some fine sausage.
The least common denominator here is survival not profits. Common sense is the common theme here and 3M & GM are lacking in that department.
A company can't survive without profits and unless you're implying they should be nationalized and everyone works for the best interest of the nation for free. They have every right to chase down profits.
Doc  (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

pixie is on a distinguished road

The other thing I thought of in relation to this is that other countries might have placed thier orders weeks ago. It wouldn't be right to redirect those orders.
Bamby (04-03-2020), Doc  (04-03-2020), Jim_S  (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 01:19 PM
Mr Lovable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamby View Post
A company can't survive without profits and unless you're implying they should be nationalized and everyone works for the best interest of the nation for free. They have every right to chase down profits.
THIS IS NOT ABOUT PROFITS, IT IS ABOUT THE GOOD OF THE FUCKING COUNTRY!! Judas Priest on a flippin' pogo stick, can't these fucking companies and their fucking shareholders put their profits on the back burner for just a few fucking months and just do what is fucking right? I'm a shareholder in more than one company right now. I do not need a dividend check right now. I will live.

Is that too fucking much to ask? Maybe it is me. Maybe we just go back to the capitalism of JD Rockefeller, JP Morgan and Carnegie where all the big companies just spend all their time counting money and fucking over the country. Boy, those were the good old days, eh?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
Doc  (04-03-2020), m1west (04-04-2020), mla2ofus (04-04-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 01:39 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 4,666 Times in 1,663 Posts
300 H and H will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
The other thing I thought of in relation to this is that other countries might have placed thier orders weeks ago. It wouldn't be right to redirect those orders.
On Fox this morning they interviewed a Florida Disaster Services director who stated they admitted to placing his order to the bottom of the pile. They stated that other Countries were putting cash up front for their orders...

Got my attention...

Regards, Kirk
Snow trac ST4 #267
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 300 H and H For This Useful Post:
Doc  (04-03-2020), Jim_S  (04-03-2020), PBinWA  (04-06-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

Thanked 12,424 Times in 4,718 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

Quote:
Those bastards, along with GM should be ashamed of themselves.

When Trump authorized the Defense Act, he said he hoped it was not needed, that companies would step up and do what was right without being forced to do so.

So, here we are, two shitbird companies having to have their balls tied into a knot just to force them to do the right thing for the American people.

To hell with both those companies. I already hated GM cars anyway, so I hate them even more now. As for 3M, I can stay away from those shitheads too. I will support companies that support America without being forced to.
You might want to look at the big picture on this one. Yes, companies like 3M are shipping products outside of the United states. It works two ways on that. Where do they get the raw pulp needed to make these products? Canada is a big supplier of pulp to the states. If trump wants to flex his power in that overinflated head of his saying that 3m can't export, maybe it's time we stop the supply of the raw materials needed to make the stuff. This isn't the only mill in Canada supplying the states. We have one here. There's one 4 hours west of here. There's one 3 hours east. Shut em all down. Then we'll see what happens.

https://www.vancouverislandfreedaily...sks-and-gowns/

While we're at it, we should flip the switch off that supplies power to the north eastern states. It's a 2 way street and I'm sick and tired of trump playing "bully on the block". Generally speaking you want to play nice with your neighbors or it might come back to bite you in the ass.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
300 H and H (04-05-2020), TiredRetired (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 02:09 PM
Mr Lovable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRedneck View Post
You might want to look at the big picture on this one. Yes, companies like 3M are shipping products outside of the United states. It works two ways on that. Where do they get the raw pulp needed to make these products? Canada is a big supplier of pulp to the states. If trump wants to flex his power in that overinflated head of his saying that 3m can't export, maybe it's time we stop the supply of the raw materials needed to make the stuff. This isn't the only mill in Canada supplying the states. We have one here. There's one 4 hours west of here. There's one 3 hours east. Shut em all down. Then we'll see what happens.

While we're at it, we should flip the switch off that supplies power to the north eastern states. It's a 2 way street and I'm sick and tired of trump playing "bully on the block". Generally speaking you want to play nice with your neighbors or it might come back to bite you in the ass.
I don't think Canada is the problem here. I don't think Trump has an issue with Canada either. As a matter of fact, the only negative thing I can recall him ever saying about Canada, other than shitting on Trudeau, was the 170% tariff the Quebers imposed on Vermont dairy products. The Quebers would come down here trying to drum up business with us and then pull shit like that. But that is another story.

There are friends and then there are "friends". I do believe Trump considers Canada a friend. I do believe where he is directing his animosity toward, concerning exports, is our European "friends".

As for power from HydroQuebec, which is what I believe you are referring to, first of all, it is not cheap, it was just cheaper than nuclear. 70% of my electricity comes from HydroQuebec and 30% from Niagara Mohawk. I pay an effective rate of 22 cents per kilowatt hour. I do believe that Quebec is very well compensated for what they sell to us. I would suspect they know a very good thing when they see it would be very reluctant to ever pull the plug. I do not have the statistics in front of me but I would be willing to bet they sell their electricity at substantially higher rates to us than they do to Canadian citizens. Nothing wrong with that, but it sure makes for a nice cash cow for them, right?

IMHO we never should have shut down Vermont Yankee, Maine Yankee and Pilgrim stations. But that is what the liberals wanted and they won.

I'm just glad GM and 3M did not make M1 carbines during WW2 or they would have sold all of them to the Germans and Japanese for the higher profits.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
Jim_S  (04-04-2020), m1west (04-04-2020), mla2ofus (04-04-2020), NorthernRedneck (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 3,744 Times in 1,244 Posts
m1west is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't think Canada is the problem here. I don't think Trump has an issue with Canada either. As a matter of fact, the only negative thing I can recall him ever saying about Canada, other than shitting on Trudeau, was the 170% tariff the Quebers imposed on Vermont dairy products. The Quebers would come down here trying to drum up business with us and then pull shit like that. But that is another story.

There are friends and then there are "friends". I do believe Trump considers Canada a friend. I do believe where he is directing his animosity toward, concerning exports, is our European "friends".

As for power from HydroQuebec, which is what I believe you are referring to, first of all, it is not cheap, it was just cheaper than nuclear. 70% of my electricity comes from HydroQuebec and 30% from Niagara Mohawk. I pay an effective rate of 22 cents per kilowatt hour. I do believe that Quebec is very well compensated for what they sell to us. I would suspect they know a very good thing when they see it would be very reluctant to ever pull the plug. I do not have the statistics in front of me but I would be willing to bet they sell their electricity at substantially higher rates to us than they do to Canadian citizens. Nothing wrong with that, but it sure makes for a nice cash cow for them, right?

IMHO we never should have shut down Vermont Yankee, Maine Yankee and Pilgrim stations. But that is what the liberals wanted and they won.

I'm just glad GM and 3M did not make M1 carbines during WW2 or they would have sold all of them to the Germans and Japanese for the higher profits.
Actually GM did make M1 carbines ( Inland ) and the were the most produced. But the GM of 1942 is not he GM of today. The GM of today got bailed out by the taxpayer or they would be gone, then didn't want to make masks to help the same people that saved them WTF. Stop bailing these assholes out! AS for 3M I think when the war production act was triggered it effectively Nationalizes the company to produce whatever the US government wants and also who gets them. Mr Trump already stated that when we get what we need we will do our best to help the rest of the world. Right now is when it should be America first. I don't think anyone should expect that anyone else would help them before they have helped themselves.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
Bannedjoe (04-04-2020), Jim_S  (04-04-2020), TiredRetired (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 06:50 PM
Mr Lovable

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1west View Post
Actually GM did make M1 carbines ( Inland ) and the were the most produced. But the GM of 1942 is not he GM of today. The GM of today got bailed out by the taxpayer or they would be gone, then didn't want to make masks to help the same people that saved them WTF. Stop bailing these assholes out! AS for 3M I think when the war production act was triggered it effectively Nationalizes the company to produce whatever the US government wants and also who gets them. Mr Trump already stated that when we get what we need we will do our best to help the rest of the world. Right now is when it should be America first. I don't think anyone should expect that anyone else would help them before they have helped themselves.
You are 100% correct!! I used to own one before I lost them all in that boating accident. My memory failed me on that one. I meant to only refer to 3M.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
Jim_S  (04-04-2020), m1west (04-04-2020), NorthernRedneck (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 07:58 PM
Bronze Member

My Chinese wife was shooting one earlier today. Hows that for irony. And TR you got nuthin on her for the distain of the CCP. She knows what and who they are, voted for Mr Trump and absolutely fuckin hates them. Not to mention she is becoming a pretty good shot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
Jim_S  (04-04-2020), NorthernRedneck (04-04-2020), TiredRetired (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 09:33 AM
Mr Lovable

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1west View Post
My Chinese wife was shooting one earlier today. Hows that for irony. And TR you got nuthin on her for the distain of the CCP. She knows what and who they are, voted for Mr Trump and absolutely fuckin hates them. Not to mention she is becoming a pretty good shot.
You got a good woman there, hold onto her M1.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
Jim_S  (04-05-2020), m1west (04-05-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 09:57 AM
Master of Distraction

Thanked 1,694 Times in 632 Posts
PBinWA will become famous soon enoughPBinWA will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style

Quote:

Too imply that Canada has any "real" leverage against the US is kind of ... funny. Go ahead 98 pound weakling - flex that muscle and see how far it gets you - especially with a president like Trump.

With attitudes like that Canada better keep cozying up to China and see how far that gets them.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

The Following User Says Thank You to PBinWA For This Useful Post:
m1west (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 09:59 AM
Master of Distraction

Thanked 1,694 Times in 632 Posts
PBinWA will become famous soon enoughPBinWA will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style

If 3M wants to uproot its corporate base and move to another country it is welcome to. As long as a company is incorporated in the USA and benefits from the protections that come with that incorporation then they need to make USA customer's their priority during times like these.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

The Following User Says Thank You to PBinWA For This Useful Post:
m1west (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

This isn't a time for a chest pumping pissing match to prove whose got the bigger balls. It's a time for everyone to come together and work together for the survival of humanity. Here's a friendly reminder of how Canada has reacted in a time of crisis vs how the us is reacting.....

https://time.com/5816072/canada-n95-mask-ban-reaction/
Old 04-06-2020, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
You might want to look at the big picture on this one. Yes, companies like 3M are shipping products outside of the United states. It works two ways on that. Where do they get the raw pulp needed to make these products?
The only mention I can find is how 3M manufactures and distributes the masks out of China. No mention of Canadian materials raw or otherwise mentioned.

A shipment of 3M face masks from a factory in China was expected to arrive in Bangkok this week. The vital items meant to protect healthcare workers in the fight against coronavirus were ordered and supposed to be sent to Berlin, but it never arrived. Now, the Germans are accusing the U.S. of hijacking.

Berlin's police chief Barbara Slowik apparently told Der Tagesspiegel, a German newspaper, that a shipment of 200,000 3M face masks was rerouted to the United States. Andreas Geisel, a Berlin interior senator, also confirmed that the masks were "confiscated." German broadcaster RBB stated that the shipment was diverted by American authorities.

“We consider this an act of modern piracy. This is not how you deal with transatlantic partners,” Geisel said. "Even in times of global crisis there should be no wild west methods. I am urging the [German] federal government to demand the U.S.A. respect international rules,” the senator wrote in a statement.

But it's not just Germany accusing the U.S. of snatching its face mask shipments.

Le Journal de Montreal, a daily in Canada, reported that orders of 3M face masks meant for their local hospitals have been diverted to Ohio in what was regarded as a "computer error."

Rénaud Muselier, a French official from the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur southeastern region, also said that American buyers were at a Shanghai tarmac to buy shipments meant for France for three times the original price.

More to the article here..
PBinWA  (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...anada-germany/
Old 04-06-2020, 11:40 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
This isn't a time for a chest pumping pissing match to prove whose got the bigger balls. It's a time for everyone to come together and work together for the survival of humanity. Here's a friendly reminder of how Canada has reacted in a time of crisis vs how the us is reacting.....

https://time.com/5816072/canada-n95-mask-ban-reaction/
Is that why Canada pulled all of the nurses that work across the border in the US to help Canada? If Mr Trump allowed the US manufactured masks to go to foreign countries right now when we are short then he would be accused here of helping others while we die etc. I wish there was enough to go around for everyone but there is not. So thats why the saying ( Charity starts at home ) I don't think anyone would share their kids food with the neighbor kids until their kids are fed.
The Following User Says Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
PBinWA  (04-06-2020)