• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

150 Years today

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
The Army of the Potomac, under the command of George McClellan, mounted a series of powerful assaults against Robert E. Lee’s forces near Sharpsburg, Maryland, on September 17, 1862. The morning assault and vicious Confederate counterattacks swept back and forth through Miller’s Cornfield and the West Woods. Later, towards the center of the battlefield, Union assaults against the Sunken Road pierced the Confederate center after a terrible struggle. Late in the day, the third and final major assault by the Union army pushed over a bullet-strewn stone bridge at Antietam Creek. Just as the Federal forces began to collapse the Confederate right, the timely arrival of A.P. Hill’s division from Harpers Ferry helped to drive the Army of the Potomac back once more. The bloodiest single day in American military history ended in a draw, but the Confederate retreat gave Abraham Lincoln the “victory” he desired before issuing the Emancipation Proclamation.Gardner Photos taken 2 days after the battle

I post these with the utmost respect to the brave men who fought here.
Lest We Forget

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Most folks don't realize the significance of Antietam in the civil war. It is a huge and beautiful battlefield to tour but does not draw the attention of Gettysburg. Great remembrance post!

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
years ago I visited The Antietam and there was no place nearby to stay overnight. I hope that's changed

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
years ago I visited The Antietam and there was no place nearby to stay overnight. I hope that's changed

Closest place I know of is Shepardstown, WV. There's a Clarion there and a place called the Bavarian Inn.

Jim