• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Wednesday is trash day. I get to go outside the gate … by about 10 feet.

This morning I'm taking the motorhome in for a State Inspection. It's almost 2 weeks overdue. I have to get it done this morning as it's supposed to start raining again this afternoon and keep on for the next few days. Anyone know how long it would take to build a small ark?

I planned to start spraying the pasture this afternoon but that's on hold too because of the weather.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Been pulling weeds for days, got about 75% done. When get the weeds done I will pull out all the river rock replace the plastic, wash the rocks and put them back. Its been 10 years since the last time and the last couple years I have been getting lots of weeds. Procrastinating and diverting my time to the work cabin didn't help getting it done last year.

Attachments

• IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 67

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice looking yard. Ours is nice but easy maintenance ie no flower beds, rocks etc. Just mowing takes 3 hrs a week roughly.

Today was supposed to be another work day in the garage doing more welding. But laying on a crawler under a car welding for a couple hours yesterday killed my back and it revolted at 3:45am waking me up for 2 hours.

It's supposed to rain tonight. Good thing. We had lots of snow this winter but it went quickly by evaporating rather than melting. So things are dry. Even without a provincial fire ban in place because of covid 19, there would still be one because everything is so dry. It only sprinkled one day for an hour since the snow went.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice looking yard. Ours is nice but easy maintenance ie no flower beds, rocks etc. Just mowing takes 3 hrs a week roughly.

Today was supposed to be another work day in the garage doing more welding. But laying on a crawler under a car welding for a couple hours yesterday killed my back and it revolted at 3:45am waking me up for 2 hours.

It's supposed to rain tonight. Good thing. We had lots of snow this winter but it went quickly by evaporating rather than melting. So things are dry. Even without a provincial fire ban in place because of covid 19, there would still be one because everything is so dry. It only sprinkled one day for an hour since the snow went.

Thanks, It had a lot more shrubs and bushes that I had to water a lot, The G/D little ground squirrels make nests under anything you water around here. Then proceed to eat the roots and drink the water. Last year I had 1 bush that I put the hose in a hole under it and let it run for an hour, it never filled up as I must of been filling a lake in China. I ripped all of that out. The plan is to go about 20' back further into the field with plastic and rocks to distance the wilderness from the yard so maybe it will be a little easier to clean up each spring.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
At 2:20pm, we got rumblings from a couple different sources that campgrounds may be opening soon. At 2:30pm I was in the truck on my way to camp to haul the camper home so we could start loading it up and going through the systems to de winterize it.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Headed to the work cabin tomorrow, this weekend I should finish the shower enclosure and be able to take a hot shower there. Last summer I

enclosed the open porch
installed the septic system
pulled all the wiring and installed the wall receptacles
Installed toilet with drain pipe to the septic
installed the hot water heater
installed the shower pan with drain pipe to grey water pit
found the Spring used to fill the water tank
installed all of the hot and cold PEX plumbing to everything with a booster pump for shower pressure.
Fabricated and installed the security door

This summer, finish bathroom
insulate the front exterior wall and add the plywood
cut in my new arch way entry
install the wood look tile floor
install the 4" v groove cedar on the walls
terminate the wiring to a breaker panel
bring my 20' Sea train container with solar mounted on top
put the generator, inverter and batteries in the container and run the 110V under ground to the breaker panel in the cabin.
Install my very ornate wood cook top stove from the 1800"s with new exhaust pipe
Have a 300 gallon propane tank dropped
install a direct vent propane heater for nite time.
Its more than I will probably get done but its a goal and sounds good.

Next year
Add the natural stone laying everywhere to the exterior of the cabin with steel shutters over the windows.
install a new metal roof
Take a break and enjoy it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I had to have a nap after reading that. Quite the list. Lol.

Tomorrow's task is going through the systems on the camper to make sure they're all in working order. And do some welding on the back bumper on it as I noticed some cracks after our trip last summer. Those bumpers are paper thin. Once the border reopens I plan on ordering a proper tow hitch designed for camper frames and mount it.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I had to have a nap after reading that. Quite the list. Lol.

You and me both. I felt exhausted.

Got the motorhome to the dealer and got it inspected. No problems. Now all I have to do is get the registration sticker and we are legally free to roam. Don't know where we would be likely to go but we can. As the campgrounds start to open up in Texas we may take some local trips. The State Parks are starting to open up their campgrounds now with some restrictions. Our Colorado trip is still up in the air. Somehow I don't think that it is going to happen.

Went to Cowburners for lunch and had a beer and ate wings for the first time in two months. Man, they were good. We sat at tables out on the sidewalk. It was beautiful weather and a nice breeze. Where's the rain? Damned weathermen.

Came home and after that big lunch I was overpowered and overcome by a nap. I haven't done that for a little while.

It didn't rain as projected but when I woke up from my snooze some dark, ugly, black clouds were rolling in but we didn't get one drop out of them. I wouldn't have been able to spray anyway, it was far too breezy.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Recovering:hammer:

I was out on Tuesday cutting deadfall and unwanted branches with the chainsaw. Destroyed my blade at lunchtime, it was old and dull. Got pinched, pulled it off the bar while it was running and a branch came down. A few of the teeth were damaged in the process. Went back to the workshop to get my spare chain, realized quickly it was a leftover chain from my prior Stihl saw. :smileywac

Off to the dealer, closest business to where I live, picked up 2 new chains.

Back in time for hot dogs on the grill. Worked on some other stuff.

Late afternoon I go back out to do a bit more cutting. Stepped on a branch that was on the ground. THORN WENT RIGHT THROUGH THE SOLE OF MY SHOE. Not sure if it was a LOCUST or a HAWTHORN, but I know it hurt. 1.5" long. YIKES.

Pulled my foot straight up, knowing I didn't want to break the thorn off inside my shoe. I could feel the blood filling up the inside of the shoe. Normally I wear boots when I do this stuff but I was feeling lazy. Sometimes I'm an idiot.

Up the hill, up the stairs, wash the wound, bandaid. Didn't think much of it, it didn't hurt.

Tuesday evening is online video workout with my fencing kids. We have a member of the Columbian National Team/Olympic Team helping us by leading the lessons. Signed into the lesson, spent an hour working on footwork, lunges, etc.

It was not until an hour later that the pain started. I suppose pounding down on your foot, when it has a puncture wound, is not such a bright idea. Yesterday, with the exception of using a sprayer in the morning, was spent with my foot up, sitting in bed or on the couch. I'll be doing the same today. It does feel much improved this morning, but still tender.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
What was supposed to be an outdoor working on the camper day is now an indoor sitting with my feet up and a heating pad on my back. Yes, this rain is killing me slowly. I may venture out to the garage later. We'll see.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday was good!
While there isn't much of anything to do really in Morenci, it was a nice little road trip to the cemetery.
My son Jeff said Mom, there's a legal weed store there! Lol
And?????

So we stopped on the way back to buckeye land at a little place called the Brown Bag Market.
It's a nice little country store full of good (and expensive) foods and gifts.
The deli is out of this world with the cheeses and fresh meats for slicing.
Found some of the wonderful potato salad and ham salad spread from Pettisville and bought a ready to bake ham loaf, which will be tonight's dinner.

Stopped at super Walmart in Wauseon and proceeded to fill my cart with this, that and the other.
Back to Napoleon to pick up the Chinese food I'd phoned in from Ninja, then back to my place for a patio dinner and trying to help Jules figure out her new Google phone.. which she hates and spent a fortune on.
I think she's sending it back.
She wanted me to buy it off her.
No way, sister. If you can't understand the workings how would I?

I finally relaxed at 9pm and drank a few Yuengling beers and had a ball on Facebook.
Today I'll take it easy.
This afternoon around 4ish there is supposed to be a military flyover out of Toledo tracking close to here to salute healthcare workers and first responders.
I'll try to see it!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I was having a rough day barely able to move.

Doug Ford announced that effective 12:01am Saturday, all campgrounds in Ontario can open. But strict regulations. No groups of more than 5. Kids under 14 can't wander alone etc.

So out to the camper I went to get the water system up and running. I discovered a plastic fitting going to the hot water tank that had separated. Got that changed. Tested all the systems. Stripped the bedding to wash. Then tackled the brakes on the truck. One of the front pads was stuck and dragging. Got it fixed and back together.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I was having a rough day barely able to move.

Doug Ford announced that effective 12:01am Saturday, all campgrounds in Ontario can open. But strict regulations. No groups of more than 5. Kids under 14 can't wander alone etc.

So out to the camper I went to get the water system up and running. I discovered a plastic fitting going to the hot water tank that had separated. Got that changed. Tested all the systems. Stripped the bedding to wash. Then tackled the brakes on the truck. One of the front pads was stuck and dragging. Got it fixed and back together.
. . . .

Attachments

• BB342DC1-6A12-4414-B223-E88017307A16.jpeg
    BB342DC1-6A12-4414-B223-E88017307A16.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 93

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That flyover was delayed possibly due to the weather we had earlier.
I did hear jets overhead around 5:15.
Who knows if that was it or not?
I'm always hearing them from Toledo or Detroit.
24/7.

Bannedjoe

I made a batch of my almost famous white beans with smoked brisket yesterday.
It was a side we used to make at the restaurant.

I took a few quarts up the mountain to my buddy, who was also a top customer.
It was one their most favorite items.

I showed up and told him and his wife that I had brought them a surprise.

Like a sixth sense, his wife asked, did you bring us white beans and brisket???

I told her, why yes, and pulled the two quart jars out of a bag.

Their faces. You might have thought they won the lottery.

Sometimes I do make a person's day.:clap:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sitting around waiting for the rain to roll in. It's not supposed to be too heavy but it will stop all outside work for today and the next few days. I may get back to it on Monday or Tuesday.

I'm getting a haircut and beard trim tomorrow at 12:45. :applause::applause::applause:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Going to the local eye doctor to get the lovely Mrs_Bob's glasses fixed. They have curbside service at their office. Just a minor repair, but I don't have the part to fix it.

Then going to one of the outdoor garden centers to look for some flowering plants. Just because.

Earlier today I was notified that I won a national SPIRIT OF FENCING award. I didn't even know the award existed. It is given out quarterly? It will be officially announced in the fencing magazine, a publication that virtually nobody reads. So YIPEE to me :tongue:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I sat around waiting for the rain but it never showed up. I took the Gator and the string trimmer down in to the pasture to clear along a four foot drop off down to the lake so that I can see it when on the tractor and we both don't go for a swim. The string trimmer croaked, ran out of line, but I think that I got enough done to see what I'm doing when I get back to it.

The rain finally arrived at around 7pm and lasted until about 10pm.

I'm still looking forward to my haircut and beard trim tomorrow but how the hell we're going to do this wearing face masks I don't know. The haircut should be okay but the beard trim ……. ?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I sat around waiting for the rain but it never showed up. I took the Gator and the string trimmer down in to the pasture to clear along a four foot drop off down to the lake so that I can see it when on the tractor and we both don't go for a swim. The string trimmer croaked, ran out of line, but I think that I got enough done to see what I'm doing when I get back to it.

The rain finally arrived at around 7pm and lasted until about 10pm.

I'm still looking forward to my haircut and beard trim tomorrow but how the hell we're going to do this wearing face masks I don't know. The haircut should be okay but the beard trim ……. ?

Maybe they do it with a weed trimmer. 6ft distancing,:laugh3:

I spent the day colleting items for the next phase of the fence project. Found some really nice Bougainvillea's with Mellon colored flowers. They have thorns so the squirrels don't mess with them.
il_300x300.2283900882_hr80.jpg

I bought three of them and created hanging baskets.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Morning everyone.

Yesterday ended up being a busy day. Trip to kakabeka falls (small town 10 minutes up the highway) for groceries) then a trip to the city to refill 4 propane cylinders for camp.

By 3pm we had the camper loaded and ready to head back to the seasonal site. I towed it an hour there then backed it into it's spot, leveled and pulled out the 3 slides. Got the water and hydro hooked up. Unwrapped the outdoor kitchen. Got the propane stove and refrigerator working.

Back home by 8pm for my first meal of the day.

Today is the opening of walleye fishing. Normally we'd be 3 hrs away camping in a clay pit near a lake where we'd been going to every year since I was born. And my dad had been going to since he was a teenager. But with everything locked down, the government is prohibiting camping on crown land. Only seasonal campers can go to their site as they are considered the same as cottages. So if they lift that restriction, we'll head up in a few weeks. It's really good fishing. Catch your limit in a half hour.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been up with the birds since 5am.
Looking forward to my weekend off.

An old friend from Delphos contacted me last night and is coming up this way to drop off a gift bag to a high school kid she adopted.
It's a program started with NW Ohio schools since the pandemic.
Thing is, I'm not sure if she's coming today or tomorrow.
She simply asked if this was my weekend off and are you going to be around.
Guess I'll keep the phone close by!

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Going to the gym (FINALLY open) this morning and then to a Veteran ceremony being taped by a local television for Memorial Day at the cemetery. Then shooting if it doesn't rain.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday was very active!
Ate way too much fattening food and laughed/reminiscing about the old days.
That high school senior that Tami gifted was pretty much unappreciative over her gift bag.
She didn't thank her, but her mother did.
Uber rich folks bug me lol
Tami found a photo of me when I was 19 and Jeff was a baby. How I loved that!

Today is going to be QUIET.
...and it's going to rain.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It rained most of the day yesterday. I did get my haircut. Now I'm ready for another few months of shut down, if it happens.

It's supposed to rain again today so I won't be doing anything today either. Don't judge me. Even the good Lord rested on Sunday.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Woke up to heavy rain. It is clearly mud season in Bob-land. The standing water in the lowlands never receded and we've added another inch over night. Expecting another 2 inches of rain before tomorrow.
  • Vacuumed the main floor of the house.
  • live-streamed the local 8am church service
  • Paid bills
  • Cleaned the kitchen.
  • Mopped the floors on the main floor of the house.
  • Started the smoker.
  • Seasoned some ribs and chicken & put them in the smoker for later. Ribs will take 6+ hours so those are for dinner. Chicken was thawed so I figured it needed to be cooked. I'll check the chicken in another half hour or so, the smoker is running about 225 degrees, could take a while to get them up to eating temperature.
  • Threatened to split Nelson the Corgi down the middle and toss him on the grill, damn dog won't shut up, bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark...
Resting now.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Heavy rain here in St Louis as well. All night. Looks like my agenda today is scratching the wife's back:smilelove: and petting, each in turn, the five cats. Likely to be so pestered I will have to sit on the couch and watch NASCAR.

Maybe, just maybe, if I do it right one of them or the wife will fetch me a beer. :bolt:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Headed to the work cabin tomorrow, this weekend I should finish the shower enclosure and be able to take a hot shower there. Last summer I

enclosed the open porch
installed the septic system
pulled all the wiring and installed the wall receptacles
Installed toilet with drain pipe to the septic
installed the hot water heater
installed the shower pan with drain pipe to grey water pit
found the Spring used to fill the water tank
installed all of the hot and cold PEX plumbing to everything with a booster pump for shower pressure.
Fabricated and installed the security door

This summer, finish bathroom
insulate the front exterior wall and add the plywood
cut in my new arch way entry
install the wood look tile floor
install the 4" v groove cedar on the walls
terminate the wiring to a breaker panel
bring my 20' Sea train container with solar mounted on top
put the generator, inverter and batteries in the container and run the 110V under ground to the breaker panel in the cabin.
Install my very ornate wood cook top stove from the 1800"s with new exhaust pipe
Have a 300 gallon propane tank dropped
install a direct vent propane heater for nite time.
Its more than I will probably get done but its a goal and sounds good.

Next year
Add the natural stone laying everywhere to the exterior of the cabin with steel shutters over the windows.
install a new metal roof
Take a break and enjoy it.

Well I got the shower finished this trip and took my first hot shower there. That was another big milestone as well as the septic and inside toilet. My son stripped out the bath house shed on the property and is going to convert it to a sleeping cabin so he can go when I take the wife. Next trip I have a short exterior wall to insulate and add plywood to, then all of the rough in is completed. It rained hard last night and after 3 attempts I barley made it up the driveway to get out in the 2X. I knew it could rain. I got lucky this time. As a bonus it rained hard all the way home. Next week I will probably have to cut the field grass again as well as pulling more weeds:smileywac

Attachments

• IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0784.MOV
    1.5 MB · Views: 68

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Family room patio on the back side of the house is pitted and cracked but mostly level. Looking at covering over the concrete pad with paving stones. Priced it out at just under $2000 for the project (about 300 square feet). There are cheaper pavers. There are more expensive pavers. But it gives me an idea of the cost to present to the lovely Mrs_Bob so she can schedule it on my "to do" list.

Might get away with pushing this project off another year? I dunno. Its been on and off raining all day

Status
Not open for further replies.