• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A Tale Of Two Elk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
RENO, Nev. (AP) -- It's not all checking hunting and fishing licenses. Sometimes the issues are bigger. Like when a Nevada game warden was Handed the chore of figuring out how to separate two bull elk who locked horns while sparring and could not untangle them.

untitled-1.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

The saga began Nov. 21 when a rancher in Reese River Valley spotted the two elk.
By the following day, the animals were gone and the rancher assumed they had separated.

A week later, according to Nevada Division of Wildlife biologist Tom Donham,
the rancher was out looking for some of his cows and saw the elk again. This time,
he called the wildlife department and Donham, game warden Brian Eller and Bureau of
Land Management wildlife biologist Bryson Code headed out to see what they could do.
When they reached Indian Valley , south of Austin , it was Nov. 29, one week after the elk were first seen

untitled-3.jpg

'When we arrived where the rancher had last seen them, we found them pretty quickly.
They were both lying on the ground and one of them was in a very uncomfortable
looking position with his head directly above the others head and his nose pointing straight
up to the sky,' Donham said. Eller said he wondered if they had survived their ordeal.
'Once we found out they were alive, I was hoping they couldn't move and
would stay where they were. That didn't happen. When they ran off, I was hoping that
they could not go very far. That didn't happen either,' he said.

The elk may have been sparring at the outset, but Donham and Eller say they used
teamwork to run for nearly a mile to evade the newcomers. 'It looked like they
had been doing it all their lives; serious cooperation if I've ever seen it,' Donham said.

After two unsuccessful attempts, Donham was able to get a tranquilizer dart into one of the elk.
With one down, the other could not run, but was also partially tranquilized in order to separate the two

Eller and Code helped hold the elk down while Donham used a hand
saw to remove part of an antler off one of them.

untitled-4.jpg

'As soon as they were apart, the bull that hadn't gotten a
full dose jumped to his feet and Bryson, Brian and I quickly gave
him all the room he wanted. He went off about 30 yards and lay
down for about 10 minutes before finally walking up the hill and over
the ridge, none the worse for wear' Donham said. The other elk was
Treated with antibiotics and eventually walked off as well after
the tranquilizer had worn off.

'If these two bulls had not been discovered, and we never got the call,
they more than likely would have both died. Watching the bulls walk away,
and knowing that we likely saved them from a slow death was definitely
one of those moments that makes this job rewarding.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Not Elk but Deer in our area. Kind of the same story. This was an email sent to me by a friend that hunts a lot.

Boys, I have an awesome story to tell you. Yesterday, (Friday, Sept.26th) I got the privilege to help free a couple of locked bucks. Kale's father-in-law saw the 2 bucks while doing his mail route. One wasalready dead and the other was still alive. We decided to throw a tarp on the live deer and then Adam and I held the buck down with a pallet ,while Kale sawed the antler. Kale's dad Les was helping and taking pictures. We decided to cut an antler off the live buck in hopes that he would have a better chance at getting passed up being one racked. The deadbuck is a nice 2 year old 8 pointer, and the live buck we think might be a 3 year old with good mass but average tine length. Would have been fun to shoot the live buck but would not have been much for a story. Oh yeah, after the live buck freed himself, he went running away with the 20' tarpcaught in his rack, but then got it wrapped around his head 150 yards laterand he fell down in the alfalfa. We then ran and grabbed the tarp and helped him free himself. It was an awesome experience. Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• P1010792.jpg
    P1010792.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 345
  • P1010793.jpg
    P1010793.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 332
  • P1010796.jpg
    P1010796.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 341
  • P1010798.jpg
    P1010798.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 325

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
second set

Attachments

• P1010800.jpg
    P1010800.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 375
  • P1010805.jpg
    P1010805.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 315
  • P1010809.jpg
    P1010809.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 298

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I liked the Elk Story better. I got my buck story a long time ago, was going to post it but must have forgotten about it.

Both the Elk lived.

murph

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I liked the Elk Story better. I got my buck story a long time ago, was going to post it but must have forgotten about it.

Both the Elk lived.

murph
Yes, and it makes me sad that one of those deer died, but at least one of them made it out alive....
:smile:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
RENO, Nev. (AP) -- It's not all checking hunting and fishing licenses. Sometimes the issues are bigger. Like when a Nevada game warden was Handed the chore of figuring out how to separate two bull elk who locked horns while sparring and could not untangle them.

untitled-1.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

The saga began Nov. 21 when a rancher in Reese River Valley spotted the two elk.
By the following day, the animals were gone and the rancher assumed they had separated.

A week later, according to Nevada Division of Wildlife biologist Tom Donham,
the rancher was out looking for some of his cows and saw the elk again. This time,
he called the wildlife department and Donham, game warden Brian Eller and Bureau of
Land Management wildlife biologist Bryson Code headed out to see what they could do.
When they reached Indian Valley , south of Austin , it was Nov. 29, one week after the elk were first seen

untitled-3.jpg

'When we arrived where the rancher had last seen them, we found them pretty quickly.
They were both lying on the ground and one of them was in a very uncomfortable
looking position with his head directly above the others head and his nose pointing straight
up to the sky,' Donham said. Eller said he wondered if they had survived their ordeal.
'Once we found out they were alive, I was hoping they couldn't move and
would stay where they were. That didn't happen. When they ran off, I was hoping that
they could not go very far. That didn't happen either,' he said.

The elk may have been sparring at the outset, but Donham and Eller say they used
teamwork to run for nearly a mile to evade the newcomers. 'It looked like they
had been doing it all their lives; serious cooperation if I've ever seen it,' Donham said.

After two unsuccessful attempts, Donham was able to get a tranquilizer dart into one of the elk.
With one down, the other could not run, but was also partially tranquilized in order to separate the two

Eller and Code helped hold the elk down while Donham used a hand
saw to remove part of an antler off one of them.

untitled-4.jpg

'As soon as they were apart, the bull that hadn't gotten a
full dose jumped to his feet and Bryson, Brian and I quickly gave
him all the room he wanted. He went off about 30 yards and lay
down for about 10 minutes before finally walking up the hill and over
the ridge, none the worse for wear' Donham said. The other elk was
Treated with antibiotics and eventually walked off as well after
the tranquilizer had worn off.

'If these two bulls had not been discovered, and we never got the call,
they more than likely would have both died. Watching the bulls walk away,
and knowing that we likely saved them from a slow death was definitely
one of those moments that makes this job rewarding.

Very cool!:thumb: