• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB - Vintage Tucker Sno-Cat

funtracks

Since I come from a classic car family I was hoping to find a 60's era Tucker Sno-Cat with pontoons. I think this time period would bridge my passion for tracked vehicles and vintage automobiles. The closest I've come to finding one is at MN Outdoor Sports Specialties, I spoke to a guy named Pete. I assume many people on this forum know Pete, he sounds nice and apparently has a huge tracked vehicle collection. I've been trying to get information about a late 60's Tucker, series 1300 he has for the past 5-6 months. I've only catch him on the phone twice and tried to get him to send me pics and information. He's only about 4 hours from me but my time is worth more than money so I can't justify running there and back if it's not even close to what I want. Does anyone know about this Tucker he has for sale? Does anyone know of another vintage Tucker near MN for sale. I'm in Red Wing, MN. Thanks.

snotrans

Contact Snotrans@msn.com located in Idaho,See some of them on our web pages at snotrans.com. We have several vintage Tuckers from our own collection over 30 years.That we may sell. 208-549-2501. Bill

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Philip, Welcome to the forum!

I can understand your desire for a "vintage" Tucker, but I would encourage you to do some research before buying a Tucker, or other brand of Sno-Cat for that matter.

I've never owned a steel tracked Tucker, so take what I say with a (large) grain of salt. The Tuckers with pontoons and steel grousers use a special flanged bearing at each end of each grouser. Those bearings are no longer available from Tucker and there are roughly 120 grousers. Double that for the number of bearings and you're up to 240.

IIRC Cook's Equipment in Vermont had some reproduction bearings a few years ago for $40-$50 each. Now it's highly unlikely you would need to replace them all, but it does put things in perspective cost-wise if you need to replace some.

There are a few businesses that specialize in selling Sno-Cats. I personally have bought two from forum member Sno Trans. I think it's fair to say he's well respected and a stand-up guy. I can recommend him. Here's a link to his website: http://www.snotrans.com/

Sno Trans (Bill Guthrie) is a very "connected" guy so even if he doesn't have what you are looking for in his inventory he may know where one is.

The last thought I'd leave you with is transportation, while seemingly expensive, is cheaper in the long run than buying a local machine that needs a lot of repairs.

Good Luck and again... Welcome

On edit:

I noticed SnoTrans beat me to it while I was composing a reply.

After posting I went to snotrans.com just for fun and saw that they do have a Tucker of the vintage you're looking for.

As you may (or may not) be aware Tucker made different cab configurations. The two door version is the most common, but in my opinion the least desirable.

I like the four door cabs the best (and they sell for a premium over the two door models), but of course you need to evaluate what suits your needs.

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Since I come from a classic car family I was hoping to find a 60's era Tucker Sno-Cat with pontoons. I think this time period would bridge my passion for tracked vehicles and vintage automobiles. The closest I've come to finding one is at MN Outdoor Sports Specialties, I spoke to a guy named Pete. I assume many people on this forum know Pete, he sounds nice and apparently has a huge tracked vehicle collection. I've been trying to get information about a late 60's Tucker, series 1300 he has for the past 5-6 months. I've only catch him on the phone twice and tried to get him to send me pics and information. He's only about 4 hours from me but my time is worth more than money so I can't justify running there and back if it's not even close to what I want. Does anyone know about this Tucker he has for sale? Does anyone know of another vintage Tucker near MN for sale. I'm in Red Wing, MN. Thanks.

I would be calling Bill at snotrans first thing in the morning:whistling:

Hope you find your machine.:smile:

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
some were for sale here last season. have you checked the old listings?

Sorry Phil, that machine was in the process of being sold as we told you on the phone. It is now sold. We have others in the collection but are not for sale at this
Time.

funtracks

I'm looking at this 1971 Tucker on eBay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tuck...owersport_Everything_Else&hash=item416dccd09b

I'm more interested in function or fashion so I don't worry about the rust and dents. Since I'm still trying to be a first time Tucker owner is there anything that jumps out at you experienced owners about this Tucker? It appears larger than a couple of older sedan bodies I've looked at and the GVW is higher too. The price seems appropriate if its as mechanically sound as the ad says it is. Thanks, Philip

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The extra trck s a VERY BIG deal.....For the rollers, the tucker guys I think ould say...

Those track rollers have occupied quite a bit of space here being talking about and griped about as to price and availability. So I think it is a big deal anyway...

Good luck, Kirk