• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

last years 423 resto

thepooguy

since buying my torpedo, weatherby has talked me into sharing some pics of a 423 tucker retoration we did last year. unfortunatly we did not take nearly enough pics....only the ones the wife took when she came down to the shop late at night to see if i was still alive. heres some from when it first arrived. more to come dave

Attachments

• DSC00222.jpg
    DSC00222.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 595
  • DSC00225.jpg
    DSC00225.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 593
  • DSC00226.jpg
    DSC00226.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 606

thepooguy

Its hard to get the full extent of the condition from the pics but she was ROUGH. The hood had been wrapped over the top of the roof several times and had the texture of a sack of small potatoes. the roof at some point had the luggage rack ripped off, leaving 4 holes with cracks spreading from them in all directions. The pontoons were absolute junk....someone at one point welded a piece of a road sign to the bottom of them. The drive spools were also beyond repair due to rust. The teeth on the spools were completly worn through as they were the very early thin crude type. The tracks were rolled into a ball some 25 years ago and were frozen solid. The good news was that all the rollers had grease in them ......dried up and hard but after some soking most of them were tight and smooth running. Unfortunatly we were still about 40 short of a nice tight set of rollers. We were also in need of about 10 grousers as the ones that sat in the dirt were rusted through in spots. The original wood skis were gone, of course, and someone had welded some 1/4 in flatstock in their place and curled the ends till they looked like elf shoes lol. Most of the sheet alluminium on the sides and doors was damaged enough to require replacement vs repair. This was the point we looked at each other and said........IS IT WORTH IT.

Attachments

• DSC00227.jpg
    DSC00227.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 551

thepooguy

now the good news! After about 2 hours of having the cat in the shop we had the engine purring perfect....had to clean the carb of course as well as free up 2 exhaust valves.....but it ran perfect. Spirts were now higher and we started our search for parts. I made a road trip to upstate new york and picked up the rough torpedo which had the pontoons and track parts we needed. Then went to cooks in vermont and grabed what Bill had. One pontoon needed some metal replaced and both were dented in on the fronts from hitting stumps and what not. These were the early pontoons with no track adjusters so we cut the ends open on them to weld in nuts for the adjusters and beat the dents out and then welded them shut and glassed them back in. (again...sorry about the lack of pics...we lost alot of them on a computer failure but the cat really came out nice!) hmmmm now its not letting me load pics? says upload failed? Im no computer guy. ill try in another post here

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Most likely, the pix need to be resized. There is a max size that VBulleten will take. The easy way to do that is to download Easy Thumbnails It will quickly and easily resize all your pix in one fell swoop for easy posting.

Can't wait to see the pix.

Andy

thepooguy

pic thing is still giving me fits....i did download the link Andy gave me but no luck. im just gonna post the pics that work here and call it good. This is the main reason i didnt put up a log of the work last year lol. dave

Attachments

• DSC00258.jpg
    DSC00258.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 445
  • DSC00257.jpg
    DSC00257.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC00256.jpg
    DSC00256.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 444

thepooguy

some more. only thing not original to the machine is the carpet on the interior. we bent the skis by soking them in the hot tub for a couple days. i should mention....we made new drive spools on cnc as these are the early smaller ones and are impossable to find. if someone needs any let me know. the engine runs soooooo smooth and doesnt smoke a lick...not bad for having sat for 25 years plus.

Attachments

• snocat 068.jpg
    snocat 068.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 449
  • snocat 067.jpg
    snocat 067.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 439
  • snocat 062.jpg
    snocat 062.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 433
  • snocat 063.jpg
    snocat 063.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 429

thepooguy

last of the pics here. first one is my son/helper.......he even helped do some sanding......only thing is it was AFTER it was painted. lol nothing a new coat of clear doesnt clean up.

Attachments

• DSC00248.jpg
    DSC00248.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 423
  • snocat 060.jpg
    snocat 060.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 434
  • snocat 059.jpg
    snocat 059.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 417
  • snocat 064.jpg
    snocat 064.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 423
  • snocat 065.jpg
    snocat 065.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 420

shopman

What an amazing restore on a really old beauty! I am in awe of some of the talent in the forum group... Fantastic Job!

:wow:

Considering what you started with I would have to say that is the nicest restore I have seen yet! Very very nice!

Last edited:

Mtn-Track

I like it! Very nice work!:wow:

Where did you come up with the Tucker Decal and is this the one from north-central Wyoming?

thepooguy

thanks guys! the decals were made by a lady that makes truck logos for us. i gave her a picture and she somehow scanned it and wallah....an hour later we had em. the tucker came from the upper peninsula of michigan. the "michigan department of conservation" used it to travel to drummond island in the winter to feed deer. it was then sold to an excavator that used it to travel back and forth to his crane on the ice while he was dredging the st marys seaway. it was then parked for aloooonnnng time. then the gentleman i bought from purchased it. he got it started and took it for a small ride and then pulled the tracks as he was gonna fix the pontoons......thats about all the farther he got and that was 25 years ago. dave

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that is a verry nicely done machiine i love the fact that your minime is like mine helping dad and wearing carharts that's something he will remember for life

benz9

That is an awesome job.
The part I noticed most was the spotless flathead in some of the last pictures. I hope someday that mine (my engine) will look as good as yours!
Really awesome job on the rest.
How does it drive with skis? Probably as tough as a B7, make some good forearms when turning sharp corners :)

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Great job :clap::clap:

Like Benz, the beautiful clean engine is a highlight for me :smile:

thepooguy

thanks everyone for all the nice complements! we are looking forward to some snow now. we finished it around the end of january last year.......right about the time the snow melted so we have yet to drive it anywhere but on frozen lakes. does anyone have any expierence with the two track tuckers? im wondering how well they do in deep snow as well as climbing ditches and banks when crossing roads. thanks again dave

aksnocat

Oh man, that thing is beautiful!

I've got a '49 423 that looks too much like your "before" photos. I have a dream of someday restoring it. I've got lots of hurdles in the way though.

You've certainly given me a target to shoot for.

Attachments

• IMG_0058small.jpg
    IMG_0058small.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0032small.jpg
    IMG_0032small.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 221

thepooguy

wow thats a pretty straight looking old cat. do you have tracks and pontoons? If you need any pics or info on anything just let me know as i would love to see it come to life! Did you ever get to drive the 423? Im wondering how they do in deep snow as ive only driven mine on frozen lakes.....so far........still waiting for some snow here. cant wait to hear more dave