• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I Hate Printers!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I bought an Epson Ink Jet printer a year ago. They were running a promotion where I could get spare ink cartridges for half off so I bought them.

I finished up my income taxes yesterday on the computer and went to print all the Federal and State forms, schedules, etc and nada. Nothing. OUT OF INK. Now mind you I was out of Cayan and Magenta, not black so I figure there must be some way just to print in black in the settings. Nope. It's all or nothing. So I jump in my truck and run to Staples. $80.00 friggin dollars plus tax for ink and they are NOT the XL size, just regular. The whole set in XL size is $120.00!!! Bullshit on that, but I need to print.

So, I see a printer that uses ink bottles to refill the printer on sale for $179.00 plus a trade in of $20.00 for the old printer. So $159.00 after the smoke clears. So....back in my truck, drive home, rip out the old printer. The wife says, oh, oh, old Butch is on a mission. :th_lmao:

Time will tell if this tank type printer is worth anything. So far so good, I got my tax papers printed at least. :applause::applause:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Ya, I went thru that a year ago. I had 3 printers die in 10 days. Bought one with tanks. Remains to be seen if that will be great but it has printed lots of sheets, so far.

The funniest part was trying to write up a real estate P&S with the buyer ( private sale) We only had a couple copies of the form and no white out. We resorted to cutting out sections we had messed up and taping blank paper behind it and copying that but I'd bought a cheap, roll thru type printer to replace the even cheaper flat bed and it did not think much of tape. We were in hysterics trying to get it done.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I own a business that uses printers all the time. My wife is a commercial artist so, we do stuff for our print customers all most every day. Over the last 15 years, I have spent 10's of thousands of dollars on printers and printer ink cartridges, most of which now reside in our warehouse on pallets ready for recycling.

Along with there or four full network sets of obsolete Video screens and Computers.

The Boss, (My wifey) is always getting the newest, latest. And yet when one of them goes down, we cannot seem to resurrect one we have formerly retired. So we go buy another, new and improved model. But not without at least a day or two of agonizing over making a choice.

Do not ask me why.

Ah Yes, I hate printers.

Bannedjoe

We've all been here.

These damn printers appear to mix all of the colors to make black instead of just using the black.

And yeah, when you're out of ink, you can bet most of the ink hasn't been used.

I saw a yootoob not long ago where this guy took his empty ink cartridges, opened them up, and poured any remaining ink into separate glass gallon jugs, or jars, I can't remember.

I don't remember the time frame either, but this guy had a bunch of ink!!!

One printer I owned, I swear it was programmed to use all the ink on the first set, then just "use up" anything after that.
The first set seemed to last forever.

When I first went to get new ink, a set of cartridges cost the same price as the same printer new, with ink.

I finally gave up on printing in colors, so I settled for a laser printer that uses toner.
Those cartridges last forever.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I bought an Epson Ink Jet printer a year ago. They were running a promotion where I could get spare ink cartridges for half off so I bought them.

I finished up my income taxes yesterday on the computer and went to print all the Federal and State forms, schedules, etc and nada. Nothing. OUT OF INK. Now mind you I was out of Cayan and Magenta, not black so I figure there must be some way just to print in black in the settings. Nope. It's all or nothing. So I jump in my truck and run to Staples. $80.00 friggin dollars plus tax for ink and they are NOT the XL size, just regular. The whole set in XL size is $120.00!!! Bullshit on that, but I need to print.

So, I see a printer that uses ink bottles to refill the printer on sale for $179.00 plus a trade in of $20.00 for the old printer. So $159.00 after the smoke clears. So....back in my truck, drive home, rip out the old printer. The wife says, oh, oh, old Butch is on a mission. :th_lmao:

Time will tell if this tank type printer is worth anything. So far so good, I got my tax papers printed at least. :applause::applause:

eBay is where I get mine, much cheaper. you just have to make sure you order before your out. Marty

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
eBay is where I get mine, much cheaper. you just have to make sure you order before your out. Marty
Don't know about your experiences, but if they're aftermarket ink cartridges, I've had a lot of problems in my HP printers. The printer gives an error code like the printer is about to die (print head failure). An internet search provided me details that it's quite likely the carts. I put OEM back in and all is right.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't know about your experiences, but if they're aftermarket ink cartridges, I've had a lot of problems in my HP printers. The printer gives an error code like the printer is about to die (print head failure). An internet search provided me details that it's quite likely the carts. I put OEM back in and all is right.

Yup, the cartridges have a micro chip on them to prevent aftermarket refurbished product. There is something to the effect of 7 or 8 printer manufacturers total that all use the micro chip and have rolled out almost a total of 1000 firmware updates to keep these microchips updated to stop the use of all but OEM.

Tank type printers have no such chip so aftermarket ink from Amazon and ebay sell for around 25 bucks for the 4 70ml or larger bottles.

Since I got this tank type printer the other day I have printed almost 100 sheets between my taxes and a few other projects I needed to do and so far so good. The ink level in the tank window has barely moved. Only the black seems to have been used for all the documents.

My wife says she has some pictures she wants to print, which really devours ink so we will see how that goes.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I just bought a new inkjet printer from walmart for $29. I bought Ink refills for it for $50. If in a year it costs more than $50 to buy the ink refills, I'm just going to buy another $29 printer.

Kind of tempted to just buy a new printer every time. I really don't do that much printing.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
In my little battle with printers a year or so ago, I did discover that they come with "trial" size ink and the replacements have more but I Still refused to buy the more expensive-than-the-printer ink.

There are also some brands I won't buy because of the faults they built into other products like Canon and cameras.