• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bulk fuel tank has rust inside

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I goofed a few years back and sold my 550 gallon fuel tank. I'm hoping the current owner (a forum member) sees this thread and says "Sure, you can buy it back... I don't use it anymore." :flowers:

So, I got a replacement (used) but I let it sit for a couple years empty (goof #2). I went to give it a rinse to get any diesel out of it and heard what sounded like flaking inside. A flashlight inspection confirmed it's rusty (and most likely flaking).

I'm leery about putting gas in it. I figure the smallest particle that gets through any inline filters is enough to cause problems to jets and injectors.

Thoughts? Can it be cleaned (without cutting big holes in it) or should I put it out by the road with a "For Sale" sign or ???

BTW, I do have clean 55 gallon drums as well as 375 gallon IBC totes that I can use instead.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If it has a bottom drain just flush it with diesel into a container. Strain it through a t-shirt and repeat till you get the worst out. When you put your pump in set the pickup tube 1-2 inches off the bottom and put a double filter on the discharge side of pump. 10 micron on the first filter and 3 on the second one will trap anything that gets stirred up and stays in suspension. Gas does not hold rust in suspension as bad as diesel. Set the tank up high enough and pitched to drain condensation(water) every other month and it will be fine.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I goofed a few years back and sold my 550 gallon fuel tank. I'm hoping the current owner (a forum member) sees this thread and says "Sure, you can buy it back... I don't use it anymore." :flowers:

Ain't happen'

So, I got a replacement (used) but I let it sit for a couple years empty (goof #2). I went to give it a rinse to get any diesel out of it and heard what sounded like flaking inside. A flashlight inspection confirmed it's rusty (and most likely flaking).

I'm leery about putting gas in it. I figure the smallest particle that gets through any inline filters is enough to cause problems to jets and injectors.

Thoughts? Can it be cleaned (without cutting big holes in it) or should I put it out by the road with a "For Sale" sign or ???

BTW, I do have clean 55 gallon drums as well as 375 gallon IBC totes that I can use instead.

The only thing now I'm thinking is a soak and a coat if you want to use it and be safe.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if you have a rust issue ultra sound it and check that it is structurly sound than have it lined you should be good for another 50 years

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
If it has a bottom drain just flush it with diesel into a container. Strain it through a t-shirt and repeat till you get the worst out. When you put your pump in set the pickup tube 1-2 inches off the bottom and put a double filter on the discharge side of pump. 10 micron on the first filter and 3 on the second one will trap anything that gets stirred up and stays in suspension. Gas does not hold rust in suspension as bad as diesel. Set the tank up high enough and pitched to drain condensation(water) every other month and it will be fine.

I wonder about that solution. The filters would plug up from catching the rusting crap inside of the thing. And it would be an on going issue.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well Tom I have run well over 2,000 gallons of other folks throw away oil from tanks that were in pretty bad shape to a row of 55 gallon drums that sat for years outside along a fence row. Never had a lick of trouble with burning it in my furnace. I have run gas that was 12 years old and just filtered it and mixed 50/50 with fresh stuff and ran in my 86 Chevy pickup. The only time the rust is an issue is when the tank is filled and it stirs it up. My old boss gave me all our pumpout oil for free when we changed tanks for folks. In the winter you just let the water freeze and the fuel is easy to separate from it. I had a line of old tanks that I put it in and filtered it as I drained the water and crap out of it.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter

Great advice muleman :wink: .

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Well Tom I have run well over 2,000 gallons of other folks throw away oil from tanks that were in pretty bad shape to a row of 55 gallon drums that sat for years outside along a fence row. Never had a lick of trouble with burning it in my furnace. I have run gas that was 12 years old and just filtered it and mixed 50/50 with fresh stuff and ran in my 86 Chevy pickup. The only time the rust is an issue is when the tank is filled and it stirs it up. My old boss gave me all our pumpout oil for free when we changed tanks for folks. In the winter you just let the water freeze and the fuel is easy to separate from it. I had a line of old tanks that I put it in and filtered it as I drained the water and crap out of it.

Wow! that is amazing. You sure know how to handle the "bad" stuff and make use of it.
Good job Bill.. Not to hijack-- but this is a question I've always had. Since water sinks to the bottom of gas... and ICE floats on water... what happens when you put a chunk of ice in a jar of gas?