• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Vacation house/cabin questions?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious, but do any of your folks have, or have you had, a vacation home/cabin as a second residence?

For several years the lovely Mrs_B and I have been kicking it around, primarily looking at the Florida coasts and the Carribean areas. To be honest I'm less concerned about the state or the island the home may be one should we decide to buy or build and more concerned with trying to figure out what all the pitfall are of owning one.

So what are the problems you've encountered with a vacation home/cabin?

Do any of you rent them out? If so, to family/friends/aquaintences only or do you use a property manager to rent it out? What are the pitfalls of renting it out (not sure we'd do it but I'd like to know).

Help.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
My uncle has 40 something acres in Puerto Rico and another business associate has a home in St. Barts. Both are away at those homes now. I will se the St. Barts guy later this week though. I can ask him how he likes it so far. His construction just finished a couple of months ago.

Me, here is my vacation cabin...

I know, it kind of looks like a mobile home in the picture. :whistle:

Attachments

• Pulling.JPG
    Pulling.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 140

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What I'd like to know are things like security issues, problems with construction, repairs, maintainence. I'd suppose the same issues would occur with a house in the mountains, a cabin in the woods, house on a lake or any other improved/developed property that is only used a couple months each year.

I recall Okeedon had a cabin, and I think Johnday does too.

We had considered buying a condo in a complex, it would certainly solve a lot of issues, but it doesn't really fit our long term goals. A small house on an acre of land in sight of water/on water seems to be what we'd favor. A condo won't get us that feeling so we are exploring the problems and pitfalls of owning a small house that might eventually become a retirement home.

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's not exactly what you're asking about Bob, but my place is a houseboat (not powered) built on a 22x50 barge. Located in the West Pascagoula River about 15 minutes from the gulf of Mexico in S MS.
My problems involve not being able to go down and check on things for the past three years due to my wife's illness, but I have friends there who have a key and keep an eye on things. They occasionally use it to house friends who're visiting for a weekend, etc. but we don't rent it out.
Surprisingly it weathered the hurricanes this year with no damage other than some minor to the boatshed roof.

Attachments

• newhouseboat100.jpg
    newhouseboat100.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 141

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Ayup, I got one. I'm STILL building it though, hopefully I'll be able to live in it this summer.

Other than being a bit of a trek to get there, doing everything long distance is a real pain. My time has been pretty limited the last couple of years, so I had to rely on locals for some of the help. Up there, dependable help is ultra difficult to find.

Actually, security has been the main concern for me. The trick, I beleive, is to make friends and not enemies of your neighbors. If ya got acreage, let em know they can hunt/fish, whatever, when your not there. They most likely would anyway, you know, but telling them it's OK, goes a long way. Crap, I never do get the morels that grow all over!:D

One of the things I've thought to do when I make the move permanetly, was the possibility of starting a security type firm, to open/close up cottages, snow removal for the downstaters, and repair as needed.

I have no problem with anyone up there. My stuff is never bothered. We even talk to each other when there, and the locals have a great help in making us feel at home.

One thing that I suspect that would work anywhere, is not to alienate yourselves from the local world. :tiphat::beer:

Attachments

• Pic017 (Small).JPG
    Pic017 (Small).JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Pic033 (Small).JPG
    Pic033 (Small).JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glenn & John . . . I noticed you don't have security shutters or anything like that over your windows. The security issue alone is a big one, but perhaps I am overly concerned? Ideally I'd like to simply buy something that is already built (if we do this) but I'm pretty sure that won't be possible. So then the issue of construction at a remote location comes into play an that seems like it could be an absolute nightmare too.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Building in a remote location relative to where you are now, or on the side of a mountain in a National Forrest? Building long distance shouldn't be a problem, unless your doing the work yourself. Most people would just farm things out to a local contractor.

As you can see in one of my photos, there is a travel trailer in the background. Not huge, but 24', that's what we're still staying in.

Security certainly is a big issue, and I thought your comment about no security bars was interesting. Something that may help you out, would you really want to live/vacation in an area that bunga bars and alarms/sirens/spycams and all that are needed when you should be relaxing?
Now after all that, watch me go upnorth and find all my materials are stolen, the house burned to the ground, and my acreage clearcut.:pat:

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Disregarding the place you can see in the background, other houseboats near mine are generally pretty nice and well-kept. I think the secret is the people in the area. Owners there know other owners, and who "belongs" where, and help to monitor the activities around the area. The land where my houseboat is tied is a large island, surrounded on all sides by bayous and the river. Only way in is by boat. There are several who live on their houseboats year-round, and some other owners are around throughout the year. Some primarily are hunters and are there in the fall and winter; some are fishermen and may be there when they get the chance; boaters generally in summer. Their presense helps with security a lot, and while there have been instances of vandalism they've been few so far. As in most communities there is a mix of people, some wealthy and some getting by, but just about all have a good "work" ethic and appreciate that in their friends. Even though I've not been able to get back down there recently I'm comfortable with the knowledge that if someone there sees a problem such as a broken water line or sign of vandalism they'll deal with it and then inform me.

OkeeDon

Yes, we had a place in the North Carolina mountains for over 17 years; sold it this past October. I also have experience from two other viewpoints. My best friends had a condo in the Keys for many years, and we frequently discussed the issues you're raising and compared them to our cabin. Finally, when we were building the outdoor kitchens, about half of then were going into houses that people up North used as a getaway in Florida. I could see their issues, and they frequently raised them in conversation. I also owned a house in a gated community for about 8 years where my Mother lived until she passed.

So, having established my credentials, on to your concerns,

Security is going to depend on where you are. Obviously, rural areas with little crime will be safer than popular areas. The door to the basement in our cabin had a broken lock the entire 17 years we were there. I kept a lot of stuff down there, including a canoe and a motorcycle, and nothing was ever missing. Kids broke into the cabin twice in that period and took a TV, VCR and a rifle each time. But, the locks were so basic they probably used a credit card to open the door. Once I installed deadbolts, I had no further problems. Someone also walked off with a BBQ grill I left in the open on a deck for about 10 years. Considering that we used the place a total of maybe 60 to 70 days in the best years, that's not bad.

In an area like Florida, the condo is probably the most secure. However, the rules will grind you down. My friends eventually sold their place in the Keys because the condo assosociation passed restrictive rules about renters' boats that ruined his opportunities to rent the unit. He was a member of the condo association board but got outvoted by people without boats!

From what I've seen, the best place in Florida is a gated community. You will have little or no security issues. The least they have is a card-operated gate; the best have manned gatehouses and roving security patrols. Maintenance is no longer an issue; all the yards are trimmed and mowed by the maintenance staff, and things like repainting are done by the homeowners association. Facilities like a clubhouse, tennis courts, boat docks, often a golf course, etc. are available. The properties aren't cheap, and the monthly fees are significant, but it's the best all-around choice. Obviously, you want to examine the association rules and deed restrictions bery carefully before you buy. In my experience, the rules in these places are not changed as often or as capriciously as in a condo. The owners in a gated community tend to be more harmonious in their goals, while condos always have a type of parasite known as "condo nazis".

Both condos and gated communities will usually have an agent on site to handle the rental activities, and will often have maid staff to clean the place after a rental. There aren't many problems with renters in places like that, even with strangers; the rents are not exactly cheap and you seldom get riff-raff.

We went the other direction. When we rented (which was seldom and only to people we knew or who were referred), they were expected to leave the cabin the way they found it. We had a laundry room and they were expected to launder their linens and make up the beds on their last day, clean up the cabin, and replace and condiment which they emptied. In other words, go ahead and use the catsup, mustard, sugar, toilet paper, paper towels, etc., but if one of them runs out, replace that one item. Because they were all known and trusted renters, we never had to have someone check the place or come in to clean, etc. If there was a repair problem, they could call us, and we knew who to call.

Now, I know you travel to Florida frequently and have some ideas of the values, but I have to say that if you want an acre with a view of the water, you're even richer than I thought What you're describing, in the coastal area, would be very dear.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Bob...this whole thing you are suggesting is somewhat vague. I have multiple properties in multiple locations. Each presents it's own set of circumstances. Are you looking for something to own, rent, time share???? I have 3 properties here in Sarasota, Fla that I would consider selling if you are interested. Each has it's own set of "Things to consider". PM me, maybe I can help. Beaches, shopping, attractions, boating, fishing, camping, camel toe and thongs are all within minutes!!!

John

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK I guess a bit more specific. Mainly looking outside of the US. Looking for either property to build on, or a built house that already exists. Looking for a gated community. Looking for an acre+. Looking for view of the water (could be a bay, lagoon, ocean). Looking for ammenities such as a marina, equestrian center, hiking trails, tennis courts, private beach, etc.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
OK I guess a bit more specific. Mainly looking outside of the US. Looking for either property to build on, or a built house that already exists. Looking for a gated community. Looking for an acre+. Looking for view of the water (could be a bay, lagoon, ocean). Looking for ammenities such as a marina, equestrian center, hiking trails, tennis courts, private beach, etc.

Take a look at Costa Rica. A guy I work with, his in-laws just built a house there. Beautiful area, great weather and decent prices.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave, that is one of the areas on our radar. Also several island nations, as well as Mexico, Panama and Belize.

But just because we have several places in mind, doesn't mean it begins to address my questions.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a good plan Bob. I saw a report about quite a few folks in CA buying beach front property in Mexico because of the savings.

Nice cabin John. I'm wanting to build something like that overlooking the river, on the back part of our 50 acres. Security is a major issue. No neighbors. No place in sight. We had our boat stolen a few years back. Currently we do not have electric down there. Once electric is there I plan to use cameras to remotely monitor it and I'll run a security system.

Awesome houseboat Glenn. Do you know where someone might buy a barge like you used to build on? My son in law is looking for something just like that.

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is what mine looked like when I bought it Doc.
A ton of work, but the best money I've ever spent if a storm gets it tomorrow. I think used barges are available, but not every day. This one was used to house a crew for workover oil rigs in the Louisiana marshes about 50 years ago, and when I bought it about 10 years ago had been used as a houseboat for some time. The whole structure built on the barge was leaking and damaged. I've rebuilt everything above the steel to include new wiring. We've got community water and RPA electricity with telephone service there. Nicer than Holiday Inn! Central air, heat, and built in Bose outdoor speakers on the deck.
There are seven separate compartments within the barge that will limit water flow if a leak should develop.

Attachments

• original_boat.jpg
    original_boat.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 120

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Dave, that is one of the areas on our radar. Also several island nations, as well as Mexico, Panama and Belize.

But just because we have several places in mind, doesn't mean it begins to address my questions.

Avoid Belize.....extremely unstable environment there right now. U.S. had plans for an embassy there but has delayed comstruction. A very serious condition of the "Good 'Ol Boy Network" exists there.

Can't speak to Panama but a landscaper buddy just left for Costa Rica. Did some research. It has micro climates as you work your way up the mountains. Lots of Anglo influence there.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
My vote is that your money is better spent renting someone else's place. Buying land in these other countries is a pain, factor in the maintenance and up keep and it's got to be more hassle than it's worth. Of course, if your looking for bragging rights at the country club then I guess you have to do it.

There are tons of different places in the world that you can rent nice houses and visit and have some variety. The best part is that if they suck you just pack your bags and leave.

Just my opinion though.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We quit the country club years ago! They said my Hawaiian shirts made too much noise but from the look of the plaid pants the golfers wear, I think my shirts are pretty tame.

As for renting, that is what we have been doing for years. We are ready for the next step. And to be honest, for the amount of time we'd need to rent it yearly (about 3 months), the costs are not too far apart from just building or buying.

For about 8 years we rented in St. Augustine Beach, FL and almost bought there, but we are looking for something a little less developed and a lot warmer in the winter.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm kind of down on Florida. I think it's just too over developed.

If you don't mind the air travel then check out some of the smaller islands in Hawaii. I think those would be safe investments with guaranteed increase in value.

My vote is to stay in America.

I think you need to make this a poll and then promise to abide by the results!

;)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PB, all the places mentioned are in America .....just not in the United States. :)

Aruba sure sounds nice Bob. Columbia property might be cheap but I wouldn't advise biting on that place. It's like the wild wild west there.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
Ouch!!!!!

Sorry PB, I couldn't resist! :eek:

That's OK I can take it and dish it out, remember I'm Canadian so by your definition am I also "American"?

Or is it just that you US guys are so arrogant that you think you own the whole continent?

:moon:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Or is it just that you US guys are so arrogant that you think you own the whole continent?

:moon:
Hey, careful there. We may have to ask the senior citizens of Rhode Island (all 6 of them) to attack and take over your homeland.

JimR

Charter Member
Building out in the sticks is not good either. My old neighbors have a cabin up in Northern Vermont. The place has been broken into a few times. They learned after the first break-in and leave nothing of value there anymore.

Kubota King

got a place in the mountains of Maine on a ski resort. Years ago we had a few break ins but not for years now & there are lots of valueables there! It is a fairly rural neighborhood. The bigest problems that occur are when the heat fails when knowone is there & pipes freeze & burst as a result. That or the plow guy neglects to clear the driveway before I get up there & I find 3' of snow & have to walk 200' in waist deep snow to get to the house.

Glenn - I love your house boat..want to rent it?

v8dave

Wizard
Bob, you need to consider the attitude of the locals when you buy out of country.

It is not out of country but is indicative of the attitude of the "natives." In the Hawaiian Islands you can not leave an untended house. The locals will break in an help themselves. In Hawaii there is still some resentment to the haoles on the part of the native Hawaiians. I have a brother living there and he was cautioned about don't buy a place here for part time living. He rented a place on each stay he made until he moved there permanently and he is still experiencing some difficulty with one of his Hawaiian neighbors. Knowing my brother though, he'll eventually over come that.

In some foreigh lands where you are different from the locals, you become open season. This is especially so in low income countries where it is merely viewed a redistribution of the wealth.

If you buy a home in a foreign country consider a house keeper. That way you get buy-in from the locals. It really is that simple.

This means then that a Florida home may be a better choice than a Caribbean Island. Some enclaves in Mexico are safe. But in Mexico you may be able to afford a housekeeper too.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I have some property just outside of Siberia. As a matter of fact, by GPS, I am only about 12 miles north, north west of Siberia. It is an ideal get away spot for me. Nobody bothers me much when I'm there, but the locals are a bit different. You ought to go there with me sometime Bob.

Oh, just so you aren't too confused, I'm talking about Siberia, IN. :D

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo it is because of crazy locals like you that I want to buy property INSIDE of a GATED community!