• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

No really, you can take the hook out !!!

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
One Big Pirahna !:4_11_9: :4_11_9:

Attachments

• piranha02.jpg
    piranha02.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 59

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
The site this on found had multiple images, definitely not photoshopped.

Why can't this be a piranha ?

The piranha (also known as the caribe) is a ferocious, schooling, fresh-water fish. It is native to warm lowland streams and lakes in South America, east of the Andes Mountains. Piranhas have been introduced to other places, including Northern Brazil, Hawaii, and parts of Central and North America. There are many species of piranha; they belong to the genera Pygocentrus and Serrasalmus. They reproduce by laying eggs.

Anatomy: Piranhas range in color from yellow to steel-gray to bluish to partly red to almost black. They range from 1/2 to 2 feet (15-60 cm) long. Piranhas have a bulldog-like face with a very large lower jaw and many razor-sharp teeth. The teeth are replaceable; when one is broken off, a new one grows in its place.

Diet: Piranhas are opportunistic carnivores (flesh-eaters). They eat aquatic and land animals that are in the water. Some of the prey includes fish, mollusks, crustaceans, insects, birds, lizards, amphibians, rodents, and carrion (dead meat that they find). These fish are diurnal (most active during the day).

Predators: Many animals prey upon piranhas (especially young piranhas), including other piranhas, caimans, water snakes, turtles, birds, otters, and people (piranhas taste good).

mak2

you are probably right, but I thought they had more razor type tearing teeth than fang type teeth. Cool to have in a backyard pond though. Invite the inlaws over for a swim/

mak2

Look at wikpedia, that is what I was thinking. I tried to copy the pic and I cant get it to work:pat:

elsmitro

floppy member
It’s quite possible that it’s real, but it’s not a piranha. Not like any that I have raised anyway.

2694908980044404404mGJoHP_ph.jpg

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
It’s quite possible that it’s real, but it’s not a piranha. Not like any that I have raised anyway.

2694908980044404404mGJoHP_ph.jpg

I have raised piranha and it doesn't look like it to me. The piranha isn't as long and it is much "higher" in the mid section, by proportion. The teeth are not as pronounced either. I think it is photo-shopped, but I can't say for certain. The largest that I had ever had was about a foot long. They will turn on each other. One morning when I came into work, one had gone after the other, and eaten away the first ones rear half. It was still swimming and willing to fight. I don't think that fish can feel pain because of that event. Today they are illegal in the states to be sold or kept as "pets".

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think that picture was taken in Africa. The Beret on the guy in the back makes me think these guys are african and not Brazillian. Just a hunch.

It doesn't look like a pirahna to me.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's not a piranha.

It's an African Tiger fish. (aka Goliath tigerfish)

They're in the Congo & Zambezi Rivers.

Here is some pictures of both piranhas and tigerfish (as well as others).

The goliath tigerfish is in the 2nd row, far right.