• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Asked This Elsewhere But....

Trakternut

I'm going to ask you guys, too; I have a '94 GMC K-1500 pickup truck with a 5-speed manual trans.
What, besides GM's fluids, should I use when I change the transmission, transfer case, and front diff fluids.
Keep in mind, my region has temp ranges from +100 down to -40. I do light towing, though not long distances, generally. Mostly, the truck drives around town with the occasional excursion to somewhere else. The towing is done in town, but am considering pulling a trailer with a 1100# load next summer for a total distance of 350 miles.
I'll continue to use 80W-90 in the rear diff. I'm concerned if the electric actuator will be able to function in the front one with the same grease.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm going to ask you guys, too; I have a '94 GMC K-1500 pickup truck with a 5-speed manual trans.
What, besides GM's fluids, should I use when I change the transmission, transfer case, and front diff fluids.
Keep in mind, my region has temp ranges from +100 down to -40. I do light towing, though not long distances, generally. Mostly, the truck drives around town with the occasional excursion to somewhere else. The towing is done in town, but am considering pulling a trailer with a 1100# load next summer for a total distance of 350 miles.
I'll continue to use 80W-90 in the rear diff. I'm concerned if the electric actuator will be able to function in the front one with the same grease.

I don't know the answer to your question other than to use fluids that meet the manufacturer's specs.

But since you own a truck with a five speed, I will say that you do get to keep your man card! ;) :whistle:

Trakternut

Whew! I have spent the past three days worrying about my mancard. I mean.........how do I explain to my wife that I had to mail (or is it male?) it in??
I don't know what manufacturer's specs are. Calling the service dept. at a dealership only gets answers like; "Use GM-so-and-so in this and that. I'm wanting to avoid "buying the brand" and use off the shelf stuff that'll take its place.
I do know the transfer case takes Dextron.

urednecku

Site Supporter
But since you own a truck with a five speed, I will say that you do get to keep your man card! ;) :whistle:
But he failed to admit it in the other thread, so I am wondering if he is ashamed of it? Not many people can drive a 5-speed, so if he drives it, and doesn't have to have his wife drive it for him, I'll also vote to let him keep his card.:thumb:

BTW, (to keep on-topic,) if you don't have the owners manual, call a dealer or 2 & ask what they recommend. -----And you want to talk to the service department, or one of their mechanics, not the sales department:poke::yum:.

urednecku

Site Supporter
Whew! I have spent the past three days worrying about my mancard. I mean.........how do I explain to my wife that I had to mail (or is it male?) it in??
I don't know what manufacturer's specs are. Calling the service dept. at a dealership only gets answers like; "Use GM-so-and-so in this and that. I'm wanting to avoid "buying the brand" and use off the shelf stuff that'll take its place.
I do know the transfer case takes Dextron.

You posted while I typed.
Try a reputable parts place, like NAPA, for their recommendations, or cross-reference for GMxxxxx

Trakternut

Thanks, Redneck. I hadn't thunk o'dat.
My wife will not drive the damn thing.
Get this: She bought a Toyota Tercel, some years back. She wanted that car, so she learned to drive a 5-speeder. She did damn good, too.
I also had a '79 Chev K-1500 with automatic and full-time 4WD. She liked driving that, too.
Now, this truck is a full-sized truck with the 5-speed, and she will not touch it! Save for a "Sorta daughter" who I taught to drive my truck, nobody's been behind that wheel since I got it over 4 years ago. :glare:
Go figger them wimmen, eh?:doh:

urednecku

Site Supporter
Be glad. Be very glad. If she was to figure out how much fun it is to drive a 'real' truck, YOU might not get to drive it as much.:dizzy:

American Woman

Site Supporter
Thanks, Redneck. I hadn't thunk o'dat.
My wife will not drive the damn thing.
Get this: She bought a Toyota Tercel, some years back. She wanted that car, so she learned to drive a 5-speeder. She did damn good, too.
I also had a '79 Chev K-1500 with automatic and full-time 4WD. She liked driving that, too.
Now, this truck is a full-sized truck with the 5-speed, and she will not touch it! Save for a "Sorta daughter" who I taught to drive my truck, nobody's been behind that wheel since I got it over 4 years ago. :glare:
Go figger them wimmen, eh?:doh:
:shock: I would love to drive it! Redneck has to be threatened with having to carry me before I get to drive his truck. :hammer:

Trakternut

No worries, there. If she was driving my truck, I'd have to drive her Blazer. :doh:
She don't like me using her "baby". It's her fave color, purple, and she loves it, so, unless I reallyhave to use it, I don't touch, except to check oil and such stuff.
I made the mistake of taking it out to coffee one morning. Got my ass chewed out when I got home! :hammer:

American Woman

Site Supporter
No worries, there. If she was driving my truck, I'd have to drive her Blazer. :doh:
She don't like me using her "baby". It's her fave color, purple, and she loves it, so, unless I reallyhave to use it, I don't touch, except to check oil and such stuff.
I made the mistake of taking it out to coffee one morning. Got my ass chewed out when I got home! :hammer:
:shock::shock::shock: A big guy like you drives up to have coffee with his friends in this kind of "purple blazer" :gay: :yum:
and you want to keep "MAN CARD":huh:

Trakternut

:hammer:Hey, Lady! Can YOUdrive a semi truck with 13-or-15-or-18 speeds? Can you back a trailer around corners, into tight little spots, while not hitting the Toyota Corolla that's parked on your blind side? HMMM?? Now, come git my man card........if you can. :shock:

urednecku

Site Supporter
:hammer:Hey, Lady! Can YOUdrive a semi truck with 13-or-15-or-18 speeds? Can you back a trailer around corners, into tight little spots, while not hitting the Toyota Corolla that's parked on your blind side? HMMM?? Now, come git my man card........if you can. :shock:

YA talkin' bout AW---BACKING A TRAILER???:yum::yum: SHE can't even back her MINI-VAN PAST A MAIL BOX!!

Trakternut

Shoots her mancard all to hell, don't it? :doh:
I s'pose she backs her minivan over the mailbox!

Last edited:

Trakternut

Sorry for my absence. I was punching yet another hole in my now-ragged man card. I washed the dishes after my wife woke up for work, tonight. That's right! I wash dishes!!!:bonk:

I also made a knock-em-dead cucumber salad for my lunch, today. I cook my own damn breakfast. Eggs, toast, whatever meat is on hand. Sometimes scramble stuff together. I do oatmeal, cornmeal. Gonna try biscuits 'n' gravy sometime soon.

Now, where were we?

American Woman

Site Supporter
Sorry for my absence. I was punching yet another hole in my now-ragged man card. I washed the dishes after my wife woke up for work, tonight. That's right! I wash dishes!!!:bonk:

I also made a knock-em-dead cucumber salad for my lunch, today. I cook my own damn breakfast. Eggs, toast, whatever meat is on hand. Sometimes scramble stuff together. I do oatmeal, cornmeal. Gonna try biscuits 'n' gravy sometime soon.

Now, where were we?
I vote to let'im keep his man card!
A man that does all that is worth keeping:mrgreen:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>

Back on topic....

...epoxy. :hide:

I'm not a GM fan. :shifty: