• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

it's about time ....

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
to mow. Mith asked when we thought we mow for the first time. This thread is for when you actually do your first mowing.
My grass greened up overnight. A few places are thick and tall enough to be mowed, but the majority of our 4 acres is very green but not tall enough for cutting. I'll have the mower ready by this weekend ...but hopefully won't mow for two weeks.

Someone in town mowed over the weekend, ahh the smell of fresh cut grass. Spring is here. :D

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Pretend today is March 18

I mowed for the first time today:17875: !
I mowed for the second time yesterday:eek: .

Lawrence

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll have to mow soon in spots. Over the leach bed is about 6" already. Where the sump drains is getting greener and taller every day.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Still have about 2 to 3 feet of snow in most parts of the yard. Snow at our elevation of 8400 feet in the Wyoming mountains is mostly gone by the first of week June. Nights warm up in June and the first mowing will be about the first week of July. I usually have to mow only about 4 times a summer and the animals take care of the rest. Can't keep the deer, moose and elk away from the green lawn around the house. Guess that makes it easier on me with the animals eating it.;)

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
Can't keep the deer, moose and elk away from the green lawn around the house. Guess that makes it easier on me with the animals eating it.;)

I have the same problem with those deer. The other problem is that I have to scoop up more deer poo than dog poo most mornings.:mad:

BoneheadNW

I mowed for the first time two days ago. I had to use the push mower for the whole lawn because much of it is still saturated with water. Besides, I have not yet re-installed the deck on the lawn tractor as that would require me to move a bunch of crap around in the garage.
Bonehead

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
I have the same problem with those deer. The other problem is that I have to scoop up more deer poo than dog poo most mornings.:mad:

Moose and bear leave very large soft piles. :( No dogs only the coyotes and wolves and they generally go elsewhere!!!

AndyM

Charter Member
I took the mower deck off of the tractor in November and put my blade on... I didn't have to plow the driveway once this winter!

Now it's time to put on the mower deck again... I should have left it on!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
AndyM said:
I took the mower deck off of the tractor in November and put my blade on... I didn't have to plow the driveway once this winter!

Now it's time to put on the mower deck again... I should have left it on!

Andy I never took the mower OFF.......:moon:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I still have my blade on waiting for action. I was sure I could use it once this year. Nope. I've seen 6" snowfalls in April, but sure doesn't look like that'll happen this year.

How high do you cut for the first cut of the year?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Damn you Doc! When this thread started my lawn was nice and short. Two sunny days later and I think I've got to dust off the lawn mower!

I never got around to cleaning the carburator or sharpening the blades this winter so now I have to do that too.

Work, work, work !

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry PB. Spring is busting out all over. :)
My brother is about 3 miles down the road from me. He's already mowed once (last weekend). I might end up mowing this weekend, and like you my mower is not ready. :pat: I'm a good procrastinator when I want to be. :eek:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last weekend it was in the 70's so I thought our area was getting close. I fired up the mower last Sunday and it's ready to go.

This morning, I woke up to snow...

jwstewar

I took the mower deck of the tractor and put the rear blade on in Nov. thinking I would get to play in the snow. That didn't happen. Worst part is when I took the deck off I didn't clean it up, grease it, or sharpen the blades like I usually do in the fall. Now I need to do it before I put it back on. Good thing is at least I have the concrete in the garage this year to aid in the reinstallation of the deck. I did stop and buy some diesel fuel and some gas for the weedeater last weekend. Now I need to buy more gas though as I used what I bought in the kids' four wheelers.

Hoping to reinstall the deck, mow the grass, and finish the new rabbit condo this weekend. Somewhere in there I need to have a meeting for the kids' baseball team too.:confused:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Mowed a lawn today. If we still had grass on our lawn it would need mowing too.

It'll probably frost overnight now :yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We had 29 degrees and a nice frost this morning. I doubt I will need to mow before May 1.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I mowed yesterday. I predicted Mid April, so I was close.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had no idea when I would do it but I mowed today.

It was more trying to lift the leaves than true mowing. I wanted to clear the lawn of debris before the season starts.

I do this mowing before I sharpen blades and such to take care of anything I may have missed.

I have literally taken trailer loads of leaves, branches... out of the yard before I put the mower to it so I was in good shape.

jwstewar

Finally power washed the deck, sharpened the blades, greased everything, and reinstalled the deck Monday. Mowed a little bit Monday. Then a little bit more last night. Got one of the trees (tiny one):pat: and decided that even with the headlights/rollbar lights that it wasn't enough light and decided to wash the deck and call it quits. Good thing I did, that is when I found out we had no phone service (thus no DSL) and I was scheduled to roll out a new version of code last night (what isn't done via SMS). Since I couldn't do that I knew I would have to be at work early this morning. Left the house at 5:00 to be here by 6:00. At least I'll get off at 4:30 today - might get some mowing done tonight.:applause:

Ricochet

I mowed for the first time 2 weeks ago and will try out my new riding mower tonight or some time this week for the 2nd cut of the season. My bermuda is greening up nice now.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
One hour doing spring maintenance on the tractor, and about three hours of mowing today.

About 2/3'rds done with the first mowing.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Yep, we are well under way here now, it was 20 degrees today, mowed several lawns, and all after a morning at work......Pretty beat now.

One of the mowers is broke already, great start huh?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
One hour doing spring maintenance on the tractor, and about three hours of mowing today.

About 2/3'rds done with the first mowing.

Another two hours today, and all the mowing with the big 72" deck is complete. Probably another couple hours with the 6HP pusher to trim out around the trees in back.

I'm sure it will all need to be done again next weekend. :pat: