• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best Way to Clean Keyboard?

BoneheadNW

What is the best way to clean my keyboard of dirt/possible orange juice? I don't believe there is anything below the keys, just on top and on the sides.
Bonehead

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Buy new, they are 10.00 for the plain jane wired kind..........which by the way are the best anyway.

Other than that, take it apart, clean it out with a damp cloth, then put it back together........after that see number 1 above.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Unplug and hold over the sink upside down. Working upside down, brush it with a dry paintbrush to remove crumbs, then with a moistened soft scrub brush. Dry with a towel, still upside down. Then turn it over and continue with Q-tips picking up the remaining moisture and removing smudges.

Does anyone remember IBM's Model M keyboards? The heavy clacky ones? Probably the best keyboard ever made. They were used first on IBM mainframes then on AT's. The best combination was a black-logo mainframe keyboard, pre-Lexmark, combined with the (detachable) PS2 cable.

I cleaned up and sold over 50 of these on Ebay for around $35 each. None came back, illustrating that this severe cleaning didn't hurt them. Anybody want to buy one?:)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey CatDaddy, Welcome to our forum! Glad to see you posting. :)

Bone, I've sprayed compressed air on a few of mine but that's as far as I've gone with it. I usually keep a few extras around, the 10 buck ones. Even if you get your old one working again I'd order a backup. You can have it delivered right to your door if you use www.newegg.com. I've ordered the majority of my computer parts from them for over 4 years and never had a problem.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Un-plug it and wipe it down with a wet cloth and let it dry. If you can use something like isopropyl(sp?) alcohol then it will evaporate pretty quickly. As others have said, they're cheap so it's no big deal if they get toasted. I'll vacuum mine every once in awhile.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I'd suggest trying to use one of these things on it.

157294_lg.jpg

You may want to first follow some of the other guys suggestions, and order a replacement one.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
I'd suggest trying to use one of these things on it.

157294_lg.jpg

You may want to first follow some of the other guys suggestions, and order a replacement one.

Yeah and get the wife to hold the keyboard while you do it. Actually this may not clean out some of the stuff I have found in keyboards..........but I work in medical offices.

BoneheadNW

I should have clarified my situation earlier (I got so caught up cutting down Bob, I forgot about this thread). I bring my laptop to work so that I can use it here at my workstation (the station computers are downstairs and other people are constantly looking over my shoulder). I got some OJ on my laptop keyboard the other day and wiped it off with a damp cloth but the sides of some of the keys are still a little sticky. I have been too lazy to use a Qtip to clean the sides of the keys.
Bonehead

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
One of my employees use to keep an can of air setting right by his computer and I swear he would go through a can every two days. One day he grabbed a can of WD40 to oil his chair and when he got done he set it next to his keyboard.

Yep, you guessed it, he grabbed the WD40 instead of the air and ruined the keyboard. We still laugh at it to this day, well he can't, he passed away a year or so ago. But the rest of the office remembering the good times with the guy we always bring that up.

murph