• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Transfering VHS to DVD

OregonAlex

Hi Folks,

If you are looking for a cool gift for someone or for yourself you might want to consider a standalone DVD recorder. I didn't get why these things were becoming so popular until I used one. I wanted to share this with you.

I recently bought a:
Lite-On LVW 5005 DVD recorder from buy.com and I have been very impressed with what it can do, how easy it is to use, the quality of the recordings and the price. I wanted one of these units last year and they were around $300. Looks like the market is now very competitive and the price point is very attractive. I got one for $125. and with Blank DVD-R/+R down to about 30 cents a piece it is very cheap to convert your VHS collection. I liked this particular model because it writes to any kind of CD/DVD media (minus Double Layer). CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R/RW/DVD+R/RW.
It also has a Firewire port so you can control a DV Camcorder and transfer movies from your camcorder directly to DVD. I haven't done this yet. However, I can see how this can save a whole bunch of time rendering to MPEG if you are using a Non-Linear Digital Video Editing System. For example, I can hook up my Mac directly to DVD Recording and play through my edited video which will output to the Firewire port and have the DVD recording record. This can save me many hours of transcoding DV to MPEG2. Not sure how many people are following what I am saying here.

Anyhow.. another reason (probably the main reason) this particular model is popular is that people have figured out a way to turned of the Macrovision protection. So you can record directly from a copyrighted VHS recording or from a DVD player (I guess) using the higher quality RCA inputs.

You can also use the machine as a VCR. Recording many many shows on a single disc and if you use rewrittable media you can even reuse the disc by erasing shows on it at will. It also has its own built in turner so you can watch one program and record another. Very cool what $120 buys you these days.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Alex, I wanted the "one box solution" and found a reasonably inexpensive DVD Recorder with a VCR. It cost me about $250, is made by Samsung, but I found many other brands as well. Prices range all over the map on them but all were more expensive than a stand alone DVD recorder. For cost savings, your solution is the best. For people who follow the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid!) it is hard to beat a All In One type unit. To record from the VHS tape to a DVD is almost as simple as pressing 1 button.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey OA,
Good find. I had not noticed the price drop. Sounds like something I need real bad. Thanks for the pointer.

OregonAlex

Hey Bob... I would have loved to get a unit with both the VCR and DVD recorder but I did not know of any that let you defeat the Macrovision and so it won't let you tranfer movies that you have bought onto DVD.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
OregonAlex said:
Hey Bob... I would have loved to get a unit with both the VCR and DVD recorder but I did not know of any that let you defeat the Macrovision and so it won't let you tranfer movies that you have bought onto DVD.

There is one model i know of that will do it and it is Govideo vr4940. I got it from qvc for $258.00 delivered to my house. I haven't burned any yet but my buddy has burned a ton of them. He hasn't found a movie yet that won't burn. And to burn dvd to dvd he just hooks up a cheap dvd player to the front of it. I bought it to burn all the home movies to dvd and like Bob said...one button and that's it.

Dur

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
The secret to beating the macrovision on the govideo is when you copy a dvd is to hit the "record" button first and then hit the "play" button on the movie that you are copying. A buddy found this out accidently.

Dur

buy_25

Banned
Durwood said:
The secret to beating the macrovision on the govideo is when you copy a dvd is to hit the "record" button first and then hit the "play" button on the movie that you are copying. A buddy found this out accidently.

Dur

If you are good and have good software you can remove all the macrovision on DVD's etc.

OregonAlex

buy_25 said:
If you are good and have good software you can remove all the macrovision on DVD's etc.

we were talking about macrovision on VHS tapes. coping VHS to recordable DVD. Not copying DVDs.

OregonAlex

Durwood said:

Dur
sounds like the unit only samples for Macrovision detection when it first starts recording.. "accidentially; on purpose bug" :coolshade

buy_25

Banned
OregonAlex said:
we were talking about macrovision on VHS tapes. coping VHS to recordable DVD. Not copying DVDs.

Basically it was the macrovison or any copyright can be by-passed it you are smart enough.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tact said:
Can the DVD recorder record pay-per-view movies from DirecTV or from Cablevision?

As far as i know yes. It is the same as a vcr would be only burning on a disc.

Dur