• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Instant messaging

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I see in my edit profile page, I can setup instant messaging. But where do I find my ICQ and all that other stuff?:smileywac

Also, I saw on "Who's on Line", Google Spider. What's that?:smileywac

I'm serious guys, I really don't know.:fart2: :toilet:

OkeeDon

If you have already set up instant messaging somewhere else, the spaces are for you to display your contact information. Much the same as a telephone number; you don't set it up here; you just display it so others can call you. If you value your privacy, don't bother. The spammers even know how to send instant messages (IMs) to you. There are 3 primary instant message systems: AOL, MS and ICQ. Some people use all 3. I don't use any. I hate being interrupted by someone who wants to chat; it's worse than the phone.

The Google Spider is crawling through the web searching for new stuff. Ever wonder how, when you do a Google search, they know where everything is? That's because they send out armies of spiders to crawl through the web sites and remember everything they see. Some other search engines use robots, which they call "bots".

Seriously, the "spiders" and "bots" are simply nicknames for automated software that surfs the web under control of a computer and sends back text and images of what it finds. The computers back at home base then evaluate the information, sort it and index it, and it becomes part of the search data base.

I think of them as ants out in search of new food supplies, which they report back to the anthill, and thousands of ants pour out.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
John, do you have any IM software downloaded?
I assume you are running MS XP right? If so find windows messenger, it should be there somewhere.
You need to make an account with your email address. then just type that email into the MSN box.

Havent you already done this, afterall it worked earlier on didnt it?

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks guys. Yup, it did work earlier. What I was doing was screwing around in the Who's on line feature, and saw this icon in Jim's line. Didn't know what it was so I clicked it to see what would happen. Lo, the heavens opened up, the leaves went back on the trees, and I was in immediate communication with none other than Mith. I don't see an icon like that on my line, I WANT ONE TOO!!!:whistle:

Don; Thanks for explaining the spider thing to me.:tiphat:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Hate to break the news to you, but you can talk to yourself all you want, but you can't instant message yourself. Now go play with a sheep instead!!!!!!! :whistle:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Hate to break the news to you, but you can talk to yourself all you want, but you can't instant message yourself. Now go play with a sheep instead!!!!!!! :whistle:
I wish I could, but Ursula is out with the girls!:moon: :beer: :rofl1:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, I got my goofy little icon, but now I can't send a bloody thing!! Says I have an ActiveX control. I'm quitting till the morrow or I might show this thing what active really means! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH:mad: :mad: :mad: :batterUp: :pat: :pat: :pat: :beer:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
we have contact, and you have a fancy little icon ;)
now if only there was a program by which we could instantly send beers :beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith said:
now if only there was a program by which we could instantly send beers
There is.... pour it in your fax machine then dial John's fax number. It also works with pizza but the original doesn't come out quite the same after running through the machine.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey, I could send him a Fosters, just tell him to hold an empty can under a rat when it does a piss ;)

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:
Hey, I could send him a Fosters, just tell him to hold an empty can under a rat when it does a piss ;)
Man! I sure do agree with that, Fosters is liquid caca!! Hey Jim, what's the beer that comes in the red and white checkered can? If I remember right, that stuff was pretty good! And if ya try to fax me anything else, one of the cats upchucked in the fax, Jan's cleaning it right now. Just give it an hour or so to dry out!:rofl1: :wave: :beer: :beer:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
John, just make sure Jan dont press the send button by accident, I dont want no hurl here :eek: ;)
Phwa, dunno about red and white check, never seen one like that before, remember the name. Fosters is only good when others are likely to steal your beer, make the bastards regret it! :D

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
[. Fosters is only good when others are likely to steal your beer, make the bastards regret it! :D[/QUOTE]
:agree: :14_6_12: :beer: