• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Glue help

rugerman

I've got a aluminum boat that I got in the 80's with a Aluminum floor and carpet over that. The carpet is rotten so I removed it but the glue is tough, looks like it was painted on and carpet was laid over it. I got the carpet off and the scraps of carpet but the glue won't budge. I've tried carb cleaner, mineral spirits and automotive bug and tar remover, only the carb cleaner did a thing and it took a lot to get a quarter size spot clean. Does anyone have a solvent that will cut the glue residue so that I don't have to resort to a wire brush or sand paper. Thanks for your help.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got a aluminum boat that I got in the 80's with a Aluminum floor and carpet over that. The carpet is rotten so I removed it but the glue is tough, looks like it was painted on and carpet was laid over it. I got the carpet off and the scraps of carpet but the glue won't budge. I've tried carb cleaner, mineral spirits and automotive bug and tar remover, only the carb cleaner did a thing and it took a lot to get a quarter size spot clean. Does anyone have a solvent that will cut the glue residue so that I don't have to resort to a wire brush or sand paper. Thanks for your help.
Aircraft (Kleen-strip brand) paint stripper would probably be the best and the cheapest in my opinion, if its not painted aluminum, it comes in quarts or gallons :wink:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
If all else fails....heat gun and paint scrapers. It's not ideal,but it will work.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Aircraft (Kleen-strip brand) paint stripper would probably be the best and the cheapest in my opinion, if its not painted aluminum, it comes in quarts or gallons :wink:

Are you referring to MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone)?

If so, I agree. That should do it. It's available in the paint department of most box stores. Next to the acetone.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you referring to MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone)?

If so, I agree. That should do it. It's available in the paint department of most box stores. Next to the acetone.
Yes, I beleive thats what it is.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Acetone works good but will catch fire on a dry fart. Goo gone will work but is damn expensive for a big area. Whatever you use make sure it won't eat aluminum.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Whatever you use make sure it won't eat aluminum.
MEK won't eat aluminum. That's what we used on military aircraft when we needed to do a paint job.

Plastic on the other hand will get messed up. Not sure about wood as I don't recall ever using it on wood. It dries as fast as Acetone so I wouldn't think it would do anything.

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Acetone works good but will catch fire on a dry fart. Goo gone will work but is damn expensive for a big area. Whatever you use make sure it won't eat aluminum.
Acetone ..is extreamly flamable..don't use any electrical around it..:doh:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the glue you are trying to remove is contact cement if you use mek or acitone you will have to lay a cloth over it to alow the solvents to penetrate the glue and soften it up avaition paint stripper is different it will come out as kind of a jell and you can let t sit for several hours than clean it up with a pressure washer. for the cost of the chemicals it may cost less to get a da sander and some 130 padds and sand it off

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Aircraft remover and pressure washer can be painful if you get the remover sprayed back in you face....been there done that, be careful and cover up,especially around your eyes(ouch)

Kane

the glue you are trying to remove is contact cement if you use mek or acitone you will have to lay a cloth over it to alow the solvents to penetrate the glue and soften it up avaition paint stripper is different it will come out as kind of a jell and you can let t sit for several hours than clean it up with a pressure washer. for the cost of the chemicals it may cost less to get a da sander and some 130 padds and sand it off
Yep. Contact cement. And yep, in lieu of trying to dissolve the stuff with solvents (and just spread the mess around) it may be best to remove the cement with mechanical means. Imagine that nice shiny aluminum when you're done.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
both of you are right and you can normaly putty knife most of the stuff off before the wash down. it will make a mess that's why i suggested a cheep da sander with 130 paper if you are looking for shiny than keep dropping to 600 grit after that some polsh will work if carpet is going back down than the 130 will work just fine also scotch brite padds on a small grinder should also work good.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
both of you are right and you can normaly putty knife most of the stuff off before the wash down. it will make a mess that's why i suggested a cheep da sander with 130 paper if you are looking for shiny than keep dropping to 600 grit after that some polsh will work if carpet is going back down than the 130 will work just fine also scotch brite padds on a small grinder should also work good.
Sorry Don, but the last thing you want on the inside floor of an aluminum boat is shiny or even sanded where its not a flat finish. Thats why most people put indoor outdoor carpet with glue to get rid of any reflection. :wink:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry Don, but the last thing you want on the inside floor of an aluminum boat is shiny or even sanded where its not a flat finish. Thats why most people put indoor outdoor carpet with glue to get rid of any reflection. :wink:

Gee, I thought it might have been about traction . :whistling::hide:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
With a shiny floor, you can get the sun to shine where the sun don't shine.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you going to put carpet down again? If so, can't you just leave the glue there?

Lia

Banned
Are you going to put carpet down again? If so, can't you just leave the glue there?

Good thinking Batman! I was wondering the same myself, rugerman. If your going to lay tiling or cushion floor, whatever, you're going to have to get the carpet glue residue up; but if you're going to lay more carpeting, bczoom's suggestion could be that answer. :unsure:

Good luck with it in any event...

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
most of the carpeting in boats is pretty thin you will feel the glue under it but a dual action sander will smooth things out nicely and than you can lay new carpet using the old residue as a primer if one wants a bare floor it will be more work to get all the glue up as stated before it could be slick with out the carpet plus noisy when walking on it or while motering

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
They make a spray can water base paint and gasket remover and sell it at most part stores if that helps.

rugerman

I'm going to leave it bare, but I made a pad out of closed cell foam to cover it and make it anti slip, the pad will kill reflection and keep down noise also as well as keep it from getting too hot in the sun. DDS as to the noise, when I had the boat built I had them put floatation between the bottom and the floor which stiffened the boat and cuts the noise a bunch. I tried brake cleaner yesterday and so far it does the job pretty well and is cheap. I also have some starter fluid (ether) that I'm going to give a shot. Thanks for the help.