• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SIP based VoIP providers

OregonAlex

Anyhow into using SIP based VoIP providers? Start explorering this wondering if anyone else has experience with the various ATA units out there.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OregonAlex said:
Anyhow into using SIP based VoIP providers? Start explorering this wondering if anyone else has experience with the various ATA units out there.

Huh?........................Chit, I wish I knew what he was talking about, does it have something to do with welfare...............:pat:

:yum:

OregonAlex

Big Dog said:
Huh?........................Chit, I wish I knew what he was talking about, does it have something to do with welfare...............:pat:

:yum:
come back to this post in about 3 years.. it should make sense by then. ;-)

OregonAlex

OregonAlex said:
come back to this post in about 3 years.. it should make sense by then. ;-)

if you are interested in playing with some interesting technology and learning about how VoIP will change the world of telephones.. I recommend checking out:

www.gizmoproject.com
www.freeworlddialup.com

no subscription required and you can play around with VoIP networks on your computer using a software based VoIP phone. (note: this is not the same as Skype, which is closed VoIP network).

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FYI VoIP = Voice over IP. In other words you can use the same line you use high speed internet for your PC and add voice to it. The voice signal travels over the IP data. I worked at one site that used it and you could not tell the difference in voice quality. All calls are local because of this. Now it is available to most anyone with high speed internet.

OregonAlex

Doc,

I believe a lot of major teleco have switched to VoIP for routing calls between the central offices.

Did anyone else notice that long distance prices have dropped recently?? This is why.

In a world, when you can send an IM message around the world for the same price as next door, why should long distance calls/international calls cost any more then one next door?

SIP stands for Session_Initiation_Protocol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol

it is a common protocal used between various VoIP network providers making it possible to call from one network provider to another without doing through POTS (Plain Old Telephone System). I.e. Read Free Calls to someone outside of your VoIP network provider.

ATA stands for Analog Telephone Adapter. This piece of HW allows you to use your existing phones on a VoIP network.

Last edited: