• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Firefox, FU*$%& settings box thing, ruin my life, AAAAGHHHH

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok, some queero box thing came up when i tired to open Firefox about user profile things, there was one there so i tried to open that but it said it was in use, so i clicked make another one. Now ive lost everything on the browser, passwords, bookmarks, the lot.
So how the hell do I get that stupid little box back so I can go on to the previous settings and get all my stuff back?
It basically said it was so multiple users of the PC could have different settings for the browser, different profle thigs.
No idea why it came up, kinda dismissed it so sorry no details other than that
Any help would be most worthy and appreciated
Does it show I'm just a weenie bit annoyed :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Nah, not bothered about what browser it is, just must get those bookmarks back, lots of stuff there I doubt I could find again
Oh boy :(

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith,

Take a look at the instructions on this page regarding managing profiles.

Specifically, the section titled "Create a New Profile".

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Durwood said:
Avant Browser is better anyway.
http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Dur

No, it is not.

Avantbrowser is a different wrapper around the Internet Explorer rendering core .dll files. It in no way improves the security and reliability of the application. It has a prettier interface, but it is not a more stable or secure browser. If you wish to improve stability and security, you need to use one of Firefox/Mozilla/Opera/Jaguar.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
DaveNay said:
No, it is not.

Avantbrowser is a different wrapper around the Internet Explorer rendering core .dll files. It in no way improves the security and reliability of the application. It has a prettier interface, but it is not a more stable or secure browser. If you wish to improve stability and security, you need to use one of Firefox/Mozilla/Opera/Jaguar.

I have probably 12 browsers and the ones i use most are Opera,Avant,Firefox and Slimbrowser in that order.I said it was a better browser imo. Firefox and all of them have their flaws.

Dur

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave,
thanks, that got me the window so I could now change back.
When i click on my old profile I still get the 'Firefox cannot use profile as it is in use'
Well, I dont know where its in use, becuase I dont think its in use on my comupter, got no windows open.
Any ideas, thanks....;)

Dur, just saw your link, thanks, im on my way over there :beer:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Restarted and now its working again, whaoooo, now to save those bookmarks.......
Thanks for the help

PS, on that forum Dur sent me too there already a guy called Mith, stole ma darn name!

OregonAlex

this seem to be a lingering problem with the Netscape code base. Mozilla has the same issue... I see it every couple of months. When I see that.. I quit the browser immediately and reboot.

In the past when I have tried to proceed with the new profile button it wiped everything out!

So remember, when you see that problem.. Exit and reboot. Rebooting fixes everything!

glad you figured it out on your own without wiping out everything.

Oh.. I loved the subject line of this thread.. "ruined my life" that is a good one.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Alex, thats exactly what I did, new profile, poof, all gone :eek:
Rebooting does fix everything, some dude directed me to a FAQ, it was covered there, just reboot or delete the program using it in the task manager. Its to do with something filling up the URL line in the history log or something, anyway, enough of the technobabble

Man, started a 30 min peice of work at 3pm, its now 8pm and i'm 1/2 way there, ah well, still got 2 hours to waste :D :mad:

OregonAlex

well as always.... if you are having problems odds are you are not alone...
I just find it amusing when people tell you.. oh it must have been just you and something you did to cause the problem. Its your fault.

this sounds like a serious bug... to bad it has not been fixed. I first saw this about 3 years ago and still exists in the code base.

just reboot it. ;-)