• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Virus?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've gotten about 15-20 e-mails with a virus attached in the past day or so.

Be careful what you open...

One said it was from the FBI and I've been to some bad internet sites.
Lots from "postmasters" about returned e-mail.
Others trying to tell me about my new id/password on some site.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I too have been getting them and they are being sent through the Yahoo sites address. I checked the IP address after getting the first one and forwarded it to abuse@yahoo.com . My virus protection didn't pick up on that one, but I don't open any attachments. Now that Norton did a update, it is removing them. I gave my computer a shot of Tamaflu, so it should be OK. Junk......

humor_me

I've also been getting a bunch from "delivery failure"s from
postmaster at cnh.com and postmaster at new holland.com with something about Paris Hilton in the body of the email.

I decided to let NH know some smartass is using their good name inappropriately.
Maybe their legal team will be interested.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We've been getting both the "FBI" and the "Paris Hilton/Nicole Riche" viruses at our office. The Paris Hilton one I got this morning used a "HOTMAIL" address, but I didn't bother to look at the other 3 or 4 of them that I got over the past week.

Here is what the Chicago Tribune published about the FBI virus:
Published November 23, 2005

CHICAGO -- FBI officials warned the public Tuesday to be aware of a scam in which an e-mail purporting to be from the FBI actually carries a computer virus.

The e-mail tells recipients that the FBI has observed them accessing illegal Web sites. It then instructs recipients to open an attachment to answer questions.

The zip attachment contains the virus, FBI officials said in a news release.

The e-mail appears to come from addresses such as mail@fbi.gov, post@fbi.gov and admin@fbi.gov and is signed "Steven Allison ... Federal Bureau of Investigation." But it is not from the FBI, officials said.

"The FBI does not engage in the practice of sending unsolicited e-mails to the public in this manner," FBI officials said.

Computer users should delete the e-mail without opening it, the FBI said. The FBI is investigating the e-mails' origin.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Haven't gotten the Paris Hilton one but now I'm getting the FBI version but it says it's from the CIA...
Across my 7 personal e-mail address', I'm now getting about 20/day.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is it ever going to go away???
I'm still getting these things (and about 10 derivations...)

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I get a couple two or three every day. Eventually they will go away. I wish there was better controls to stop that crap.

murph

OregonAlex

doubt the situation will ever get better. It has gotten worse over the years and will continue to get worse. As users crave more and more features and flexiability hackers use it as an opportunity to violate the system in many new and creative ways. When there is a will there is a way, and if more and more people will be affected by a new, creative and perhaps more challenging explote, then that is even more attractive. I think thats the appeal, dont you?
The ability to affect as many people as possible by defeating a system that is designed to be difficult to defeat. They don't do it for the money, they do it for the challenge and the fame.

OkeeDon

The hilarious thing about the FBI email is that so many people apparently feel guilty about the sites they have been visiting, and so they believe the email...

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Some users are hopeless.

About twice a year for the past several years, I receive an urban legend titled 'FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:Warning' from my AOL based relatives. It discusses "if someone calls from ATT and asks you to dial 9 then this number ...". (As described in
Link: Snopes)
The email includes a cc list and prior cc lists totalling maybe a thousand email addresses. And of course an admonition to send this intact, with the thousand addresses, to everyone you know, immediately.

Then it's followed a few minutes later by followups from perhaps a dozen recipients to the same thousand people, referencing the Snopes debunking and complaining about cluttering up the Internet with useles junk.

I have spoken face to face with two of the relatives that near-simultaneously send this to me every time they receive it but of course the reply is 'But it might be true, and it says right in the mesage to forward it to everyone I know!'

Bah.

OregonAlex

OregonAlex said:
...but I saw it on TV.. so it must be true..
by this.. I mean.. the same principle that continues to drives people to making infomercials... Lose Fat from a Pill, Inflatable couches which are the best thing since sliced bread because it was developed by Nasa Engineers..
You get a big enough audience and people will belieave anything they are told or read. Politicians do this all the time.. look at.. NO.. not gonna go there.. that is for another forum.. ;-)

oh.. by the way.. the next version of Windows will revolutionize the computer industry. It will be more secure, more powerful, more stable, and help to eleminate spyware and unwanted spam. Step right up young man and upgrade now! Don't miss out on your chance to get the lastest version of Windows VISTA! The best one yet. MS Windows Vista.. Its the Pinnacle! The the best view from the TOP!

Microsoft - The Best is Yet to Come... We make sure of that.

suckers!

Last edited:

OregonAlex

"I love this name. 'Vista' creates the right imagery for the new product capabilities and inspires the imagination with all the possibilities of what can be done with Windows -- making people’s passions come alive."

--Jim Allchin, group vice president, Platforms Management at Microsoft

Just gives ya a woody thinking about it... doesn't it?