• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sno Trac in Alaska

anchorage craigslist > for sale / wanted > recreational vehicles

Snow Trac ST4 - $6500 (Anchorage)

Date: 2010-10-13, 10:23AM AKDT
Reply to: see below

1967 Aktiv ST4. Well known design, don't let age fool you. Perfect for going over muskeg to get to the big moose, or for over-snow in winter (yes, off-trail in deep snow).
I am Selling this one because I have a '76 wide-track version of same rig. Brakes replaced this year, timing and valve clearance also this year. Convertible roof slides back so you can stand up and look out / shoot. If you need to educate yourself on these machines please go to google and type "snow trac forumsforums" into the search box.

Only call: Two_Four_Two - 5061 if interested. <----- That's the number to call.

This rig will out-perform most track rigs in muskeg and deep snow due it's lighter foot-print. Lower PSI than ANY thiokol or nodwell and most older Bombardier- research and you will see. The point is that HEAVY = STUCK. This can be pulled with a standard car-hauler trailer and 1/2 ton pickup (machine is much lighter than other track rigs).

Please only call (907)242-5061 if interested.

This can be pulled with a standard car hauler trailer and 1/2 ton pickup (machine is much lighter than other track rigs). Brakes replaced this year, timing and valve clearance also this year.

moose rig, hunting rig, buggy, track rig, thiokol, argo, IMP, nodwell, sno trak, sno trac, snow trak, vw, collector, antique

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Attachments

• 3nc3o53l75V45O15Q3aaddf23a694e9e714a8.jpg
    3nc3o53l75V45O15Q3aaddf23a694e9e714a8.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,161

mojo66

hi, i mine up in collinsville, i see your in trapper creek!...you got parts or know anything about them, this is my first, i plan to haul some fuel and suplies in across the kahiltna river......peace .............mojo

I don't know much about Snow Tracs except a lot of people like them. Almost like a cult.:whistling:

I've got a couple of Pisten Bullys I use to groom the Petersville and Trapper Creek trails with. You probably know some other mining buddies of mine in Collinsville and also own BC Excavation in Anchorage. They were talking about hauling in fuel this winter too so they maybe happy to see a little nicer trail put down by your Snow Trac.

I might see you between Kroto Creek and the Forks Roadhouse someday while out grooming. Try and stay on top of all the ice and snow on the Kahiltna flats.:biggrin:

mojo66

yeah i know Gordon, they are the ones that bought part of the mine from us, you probably know Pete and Glen, and posibly some of the guys at camp creek, is Tiny philips still around, how about Ginger that use to own the roadhouse, she still lerking around?... maybe we will hook up, im shooting for Jan or Feb for hauling.

mojo66

you want to trade one of your pisten bully's for my snow trac? good deal? lol........:) what year are your rigs? boy they look nice,,,,,i probably know you, i lived out there every winter prior 10 years ago, from 1983 to 1999 i believe

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
hi, i mine up in collinsville, i see your in trapper creek!...you got parts or know anything about them, this is my first, i plan to haul some fuel and suplies in across the kahiltna river......peace .............mojo
Mike strang at the abby on knick goose bay road knows his way around the snow tracs and also is one of the best air cooled mechanics in alaska the old guy that owns estes auto also has worked on quite q ffew snow tracs i have also restored one i don't claim to know it all but will be willing to coach you if necessary our member lyndon is the resedent expert on snow tracs and has likely forgot more about them than all of us know.

you want to trade one of your pisten bully's for my snow trac? good deal? lol........:) what year are your rigs? boy they look nice,,,,,i probably know you, i lived out there every winter prior 10 years ago, from 1983 to 1999 i believe

While that IS tempting...... nope nope I just couldn't do that to you.:biggrin:

I have 84 PB200 that I resurrected from the dead and used for 4 years and is now used for parts until I get time to do a complete rebuild. Then there is the 87 PB200 that I have been using for the past to seasons and is starting to show its age. Then late last season I bought a 93 PB260 but didn't get a chance to use it yet. I just picked up a PB200 chassis from my buddy in Valdez that I plan on making a trailer out of in my spare time.

I live up the Parks Highway about 15 miles north of Trapper Creek and usually only go over toward P-ville to groom. I do most of my riding in Denali State and National Parks. In the mid 90s I spearheaded the trail system that I now groom to help reduce the conflicts on a lot of the local trails, reduce the number of people getting lost, and to combat the greenie bastards(oops was I not suppose to say that?) who are trying to lock up all the public lands.

I don't know if we have ever met but it is very possible.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
While that IS tempting...... nope nope I just couldn't do that to you.:biggrin:

I have 84 PB200 that I resurrected from the dead and used for 4 years and is now used for parts until I get time to do a complete rebuild. Then there is the 87 PB200 that I have been using for the past to seasons and is starting to show its age. Then late last season I bought a 93 PB260 but didn't get a chance to use it yet. I just picked up a PB200 chassis from my buddy in Valdez that I plan on making a trailer out of in my spare time.

I live up the Parks Highway about 15 miles north of Trapper Creek and usually only go over toward P-ville to groom. I do most of my riding in Denali State and National Parks. In the mid 90s I spearheaded the trail system that I now groom to help reduce the conflicts on a lot of the local trails, reduce the number of people getting lost, and to combat the greenie bastards(oops was I not suppose to say that?) who are trying to lock up all the public lands.

I don't know if we have ever met but it is very possible.
i think this forum will permit the b- word when greenie is placed in front of it

mojo66

I wasnt planing on buying my snow trac untill i seen the price, i just bought a polaris wide track prior to it for hauling fuel up to the mine, bought a couple sheets of 4x12 aluminum .080.and one inch square tubing to make some sleds, I'm in the process of making two freight sleds out of them for the polaris and some other snomachine to haul hopefully 120 gal at a time (4 - 30 gal plastic containers) similar to these... http://www.huskyfreighters.com/resources/SLEDFLYER10.pdf ....but now i will also make a skid or sled for the snow trac, i was thinking about using street guard rails for skis but its just a thought right now, anyone know of a good freight sled plan out there? ..im for all options if it dont kill my pocket book... i do have a winch on the snow trac so pulling heavy loads uphill shouldnt be a problem, (drag out , winch in)

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I wasnt planing on buying my snow trac untill i seen the price, i just bought a polaris wide track prior to it for hauling fuel up to the mine, bought a couple sheets of 4x12 aluminum .080.and one inch square tubing to make some sleds, I'm in the process of making two freight sleds out of them for the polaris and some other snomachine to haul hopefully 120 gal at a time (4 - 30 gal plastic containers) similar to these... http://www.huskyfreighters.com/resources/SLEDFLYER10.pdf ....but now i will also make a skid or sled for the snow trac, i was thinking about using street guard rails for skis but its just a thought right now, anyone know of a good freight sled plan out there? ..im for all options if it dont kill my pocket book... i do have a winch on the snow trac so pulling heavy loads uphill shouldnt be a problem, (drag out , winch in)
i have a few ideas take a look at some of my post's from last winter under adventures and usage i had 2 sleds ome was a small sled the other was a large one the large one had 8 drums of fuel on it the smaller one could haul 3 until some one borrowed it and drug it accross bare ground with 3 drums on it i also have a tracked trailer i plan to fit to carry 2 250 gallon iso containers

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
try this link if i can do it

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=34855&highlight=iditarod

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=35760&highlight=fuel+mission
these links show both my smaller freighter and the larger one i borrowed to move the larger amounts of fuel i now have a tracked trailer wich will work out better up here where we can go from snow to no snow both sledds have hdpe runners and the runner supports are hdpe pipe wich gives a little flex the smaall freighter has a steel frame with wood deck like a folda sled on steroids and the large freighter is wood frame work just like the wood freighters that have been used in these parts for years. pm me if you are interested in more details or better pictures

mojo66

yes i would love to see the larger sled plans or w/e.. what would be nice to know is how much can a snow trac actualy pull on a packed trail? i do have some hills to climb.. also, depending on fresh snow conditions, how do they do breaking trail up hill or for that matter any fresh fall? i was thinking about adding small angle iron on the cleats, thinking about bolting them on the cleat holes or posibly welding half inch flat stock to the existing cleats, mine are kinda flat.....thanks dds for your help......mojo

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
yes i would love to see the larger sled plans or w/e.. what would be nice to know is how much can a snow trac actualy pull on a packed trail? i do have some hills to climb.. also, depending on fresh snow conditions, how do they do breaking trail up hill or for that matter any fresh fall? i was thinking about adding small angle iron on the cleats, thinking about bolting them on the cleat holes or posibly welding half inch flat stock to the existing cleats, mine are kinda flat.....thanks dds for your help......mojo
my load of fuel was 3800 pounds if you look at a topo map of the kugarok road from nome to pilgram river ypu can see what terrain i had to cover most of the trail was well packed effertlesly up and down the hills i came to the sled was sinking in to the pack about 3 inches also you have to rememder i have a 1600 engine that's about 60 hp if you have the older 30 to 40 horse motor you may have to scale the load back get a cylinder head temp gauge and attach it to #3 cylinder and when towing under load keep rpm between 3000 and 4000 rpm to maximize air flow accross the engine.

mojo66

yes , mine is a 40 horse, i noticed your unit has air intake mounted on the side, is that stock?... mine did not come with it, infact there is not even a air filter, looking at some items to make it external,,thinking about finding rubber radiator hose and mount it somehow to the iner body and outer made of pvc..still not sure

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
yes , mine is a 40 horse, i noticed your unit has air intake mounted on the side, is that stock?... mine did not come with it, infact there is not even a air filter, looking at some items to make it external,,thinking about finding rubber radiator hose and mount it somehow to the iner body and outer made of pvc..still not sure
no it's not a stock air cleaner it's an nib oil bath unit i just couldnt throw away i figured i could find a use for it some day works good on the snow trac don't use raidator hose the fuel vapors will eat it up i'm using scat hose if i lifed in anchorage i would go to ak rubber and get fuel filler hose i willpost some pics of my intake system this weekend for you

mojo66

ok great , i look foward to seeing those picks...... the only problem i might have is finding an elbow to mount on the carb that will clear the hood..the carb is perty close to it, maybe 4 inches, i could be wrong

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
here some pics of my induction system i take air from the air cleaner it runs through the heater on the muffler and into the carb this keeps the carb warm with no carb icing inside or out the 90 is just abs plastic itht a hd hose clamp at the bottom also are some pics showing just how far the sprokets can wear at this point teeth will start to break off and a close up of my runner system on my smallersled i used 8 inch pipe on the runner supports if i did it again i would use 12 inch pipe also mu skies are 8 inches wide a larger sled might go with some thing around 12 inches

Attachments

• intake pics 002.jpg
    intake pics 002.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 889
  • intake pics 003.jpg
    intake pics 003.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 874
  • intake pics 004.jpg
    intake pics 004.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 873
  • intake pics 005.jpg
    intake pics 005.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 851
  • intake pics 006.jpg
    intake pics 006.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 860

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Say that is one large battery you have on your ST Don,

Is it one of those commercial batteries, a D8 series, 1,100 or 1,500 cold cranking amps.....? In your temps mid winter I suppose I would want one too!

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Say that is one large battery you have on your ST Don,

Is it one of those commercial batteries, a D8 series, 1,100 or 1,500 cold cranking amps.....? In your temps mid winter I suppose I would want one too!

Regards, Kirk
it's a bci group 31 that one is a agm hawker oddisy