• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

First motorcycle ride of the year

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like today will be the first ride of the year. Weather is going to top 50 (F) degrees today without rain. We did have a 50+ degree day but it was raining. There were quite a few bikes on the road that day but I was running errands and getting stuff done and by the time I got home the rain was coming down too hard and the temps had begun to fall.

So today looks like the day!

Planning to take out both bikes and just run them around to make sure they survived the winter with nothing going wrong.

If I survive there should be some sideways and upside down iPhone photos posted late this afternoon.

:laugh3:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Two good rides today. Weather is approximately 55° and sunny. Took out the lovely Mrs_Bob’s first, ran it about 40 miles on rural highways and side roads in Illinois. Came back home, switched to mine and ran along the Kankakee river.

Attachments

• 666F7058-7BB1-4E1D-B11C-C9D38CCAF6BE.jpeg
    666F7058-7BB1-4E1D-B11C-C9D38CCAF6BE.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 120

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So the weatherman said that the rain would start here about 5 PM. I was out on the motorcycle at 1 PM and guess what happened? Yep the rain started. Drizzle for 1 mile. Out right rainstorm for 10 miles. Last mile home just a drizzle. By the time I walked out of the garage the sun was shining again.

Fortunately I was already on my way home, had I been farther away it would’ve been a longer more soaking ride.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Rain storms suck on a motorcycle. Even worse is getting caught in a sudden hailstorm/thunderstorm. Been there. Done that. Myself and a couple other bikers I didn't know ended up pulled over once in a rest area taking cover in an outhouse as it was the only shelter around.

Canadian eh!!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tthe rain was not predicted to come until 5pm ... started at 1

And of course I was taking the long way home from the cigar lounge. I left there shortly after noon, sun was shining. 2 miles from a little drive-in restaurant where I planned to stop for lunch I noticed a few drops on the windshield. Of course I was not wearing motorcycle pants; I had blue jeans to soak up all the rain. Everything else I had on was waterproof.

Turned to a good rain before I got into the village of Beecher where the drive-in is located. Beecher is 8 miles from my home.

Rained pretty good until I was about 2 miles from home. Then drizzle from there home

Down pouring for a little bit, mostly just a steady hard rain that was manageable, but as this bike is on factory tires and I’ve never ridden this one in any rain before I didn’t know what to expect. Never felt slippery. Never felt insecure. Actually I was surprised how well the tires did given the fact that I’ve read lots of complaints about them on Honda groups.

Sort of glad it happened because it taught me that the tires are fairly secure in the rain. Still glad I didn’t have to go any farther in the rain but I figure I got a good pretty good feel for the rain performance of the tires and was glad to have gotten it this close to home.