• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ALCO S2 Diesel with DCC & LokSound

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Recently decided to get back into model railroading after many years. I long since sold off all my old equipment. This time around I decided to try N Scale and go full Digital Command & Control. Things have changed considerably to say the least.

Well, my first engine came in today. It is an American Locomotive Company S2 diesel built by Atlas. It has all the bells and whistles, no pun intended.

I think I will be liking this new (to me) digital control. Performance is very smooth at low speed and the sound decoder is very nice.

http://youtu.be/tJ8zfQWI1_k

jwstewar

At some point, I would like to get a layout set back up. I had an N-scale that I was working on but never quite got going well on it other than the track wired and a few buildings. Was always frustrated with the couplers on N-scale and was trying to upgrade and add auto coupling and uncoupling, but ended up just ruining my locos. Most of the cars upgraded OK, but never did get the actual auto-couple/uncouple working. DCC was just starting to come out as I was getting out. Wanted to go that route, but life quickly forced me to lose interest.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
At some point, I would like to get a layout set back up. I had an N-scale that I was working on but never quite got going well on it other than the track wired and a few buildings. Was always frustrated with the couplers on N-scale and was trying to upgrade and add auto coupling and uncoupling, but ended up just ruining my locos. Most of the cars upgraded OK, but never did get the actual auto-couple/uncouple working. DCC was just starting to come out as I was getting out. Wanted to go that route, but life quickly forced me to lose interest.

N Scale has come a long, long way in the last few years. More and more people, like myself move to it as it requires much less room for the same size layout. Now, it is #2 behind HO and gaining momentum. HO is really the optimum size all around, but I cannot invest in the amount of basement space required for the layout I want.