• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Yard Art "Bombardier BB Carrier" restoration HELP NEEDED

BB Carrier

[FONT=&quot]Hello All

My name is Paul and I live Vancouver Washington. My friends family gave us this 1961 Bombardier “BB Carrier”. We have decided to restore it, any information would be very helpful. Engine: Simca Flash Special 1290cc 57Hp. Transmission: Simca ??? Four speed. Thank's [/FONT]

Attachments

• 100_0002.JPG
    100_0002.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,366
  • 100_0005.JPG
    100_0005.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,350
  • 100_0006.JPG
    100_0006.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,332
  • 100_0011.JPG
    100_0011.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,354
  • 100_0001.JPG
    100_0001.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,433

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: Yard Art

Welcome Paul!

I live east of you on the outer border of the county. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be much help in your restoration project.

I'm pretty sure you will get some good input soon. There are lots of snow cat people here and they will be showing up more as we get closer to the winter. If you don't get much feedback now - check back in a month. There will be more die hards around then.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Yard Art

Paul, welcome to the forums. I've got to say that you have an awesome little project in front of you, I'm jealous! But I'm not going to be able to offer anything more than moral support and a little information that I dug up.

Bombardier BB Carrier 1
The Bombardier BB Carrier 1 was acquired by the J. Armand Bombardier Museum in 2005. It was restored by the museology department and in 2007 became part of a new exhibit entitled Joseph-Armand Bombardier, a passion for invention and enterpreneurship. The 100th anniversary of the birth of the famous inventor provided us with the ideal opportunity to show off this unique vehicle to the public.

Historical background

During the winter of 1957, Joseph-Armand Bombardier was perfecting the invention of new types of vehicles which would move on very light treads. The end result was the Bombardier BB Carrier. From 1959 to 1961, L'Auto-Neige Bombardier Limitée manufactured 32 models of this three-seater, amphibious vehicle. The BB Carrier had many diverse characteristics. It was fast, mobile, light and economical to run. Most remarkable of all, it was able to travel along the water as well as on land. Experimental runs were carried out on lakes and waterways in Québec, like the Saumon River in Kingsbury. This remarkable machine was also used (among other things) for checking out telephone lines and travelling through the forest. Joseph-Armand Bombardier's experiments with light vehicles led directly to the invention of the Ski-Doo®2Snowmobile in 1959.

Specifications

Overall length: 238 cm / 93 inches
Overall width : 183 cm / 72 inches
Overall height : 150 cm / 59 inches
Dry weight : 930 kg / 2,050 lbs
Turning radius : 305 cm / 120 inches
Payload capacity : 453 kg / 1,000 lbs
Maximum speed : 40 kph / 25 mph
Engine : Simca Flash Special (4 cylinders); 57 HP @ 3,100 / RPM
Transmission : 4 speeds forward and one reverse
Track width : 68.5 cm / 27 inches
Tires : 40.8 X 10.1 cm / 4.80 / 4.00-8 (total of 16)

We do have some Bombardier owners here, I don't know of any with that model. Hopefully one of them has some additional information to help you out, maybe some specific advice, etc. Now if you had an Aktiv Snow Trac then I could bury you with information! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• choix_2007_1.jpg
    choix_2007_1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,335
  • choix_2007_2.jpg
    choix_2007_2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,318
  • choix_2007_3.jpg
    choix_2007_3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,326
  • choix_2007_4.jpg
    choix_2007_4.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,307
  • choix_2007_5.jpg
    choix_2007_5.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,293

BB Carrier

Hello, and Thanks’ for the welcome.

[FONT=&quot]We have contacted the Armand Bombardier Museum, they told us that thirty two units were built, only ten are knowing to exist, this is #11. The museum piece was modified, so they are interested in this machine, all stock. Bombardier sold units to dealers. This unit was sold by dealer in Seattle Wa. (pic). The dealer sold it to TimberLine lodge, Mt. Hood Oregon. It then was sold to a private party in eastern Oregon(1972…), and now my yard “the women love it”… The drive is seized , engine also. We pulled the engine and tore it down, in the hot tank now. The transmission is good. I have not pulled the steering clutch assembly apart yet, don’t know if it is a wet, or dry setup. We have located some Simca parts, still need a full gasket set.

Again, Thank you for the Welcome, Paul

[/FONT]

Attachments

• 100_0009.JPG
    100_0009.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,300
  • 100_0007.JPG
    100_0007.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,303

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
BB Carrier Interesting find.............. We will have some spares for the machine but no literature. not sure how many were made It could be one of very few. It does resemble the old Muskegs but the tires are smaller and the center of the tub is narrower too. but the sprockets and the cleats are still made.
The cleats are the same as the early snow buses and the the sprockets are same same as the early Sidewalk plows of that era.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you've got an interesting project there. Keep us updated on your progress.

ps.......we like pictures........lots of pictures.....

79bombi

Site Supporter
BB Carrier - are you on the main road from Portland to Mt Hood? I think I remember passing the "tractor" yard art this summer on my trip.

79Bombi

BB Carrier

Hello All
I looked at Weatherby's Thiokol Restore project today, amazing work, if this is the standard here, we are up the creek… Ever try to find Simca engine parts, they might as well be gold plated! Three cam bearings $150.00, Gasket set $90.00, Rear main seal $50.00, I found the main seal local $7.50, what a rip off. Enough whining. We have a few more pictures. Paul

Sprockets: 12"dia. root Cogs 1.5"h Pitch 5.8" W 2.0"
Belts: All 5.5' wide
Tires: 4.8/4.0X8" = 16

Attachments

• DSC02358.JPG
    DSC02358.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 1,200
  • DSC02361.JPG
    DSC02361.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,200
  • DSC02360.JPG
    DSC02360.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,216
  • DSC02348.JPG
    DSC02348.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 1,214
  • DSC02344.JPG
    DSC02344.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 1,214
  • DSC02356.JPG
    DSC02356.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,201

BB Carrier

We received an email from the Bombardier museum with a 1961 BB Carrier parts list attached. It consists of Eight pages, part #, description, quaintly. IE: D-527, Differential Carrier Assembly (welded), 1. They said a lot of the parts were the same as the J5 & SW units of the time. Anything on the differential will help, (pre load, lash, etc.) Thanks, Paul

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is there any chance you can post the parts lists they sent you so everyone can see the information?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We received an email from the Bombardier museum with a 1961 BB Carrier parts list attached. It consists of Eight pages, part #, description, quaintly. IE: D-527, Differential Carrier Assembly (welded), 1. They said a lot of the parts were the same as the J5 & SW units of the time. Anything on the differential will help, (pre load, lash, etc.) Thanks, Paul

We have a complete teardown and rebuild manual online at our website for the Bombardier Differential also called the T-16 differential it is under parts
diagrams. www.mn-outdoors.com as mentioned we have hundreds of older parts for the Bombardier's

BB Carrier

I will post parts list when I get my scanner fixed. Thanks for the link Boggie, very helpful. We have pulled the tracks, wheels, the walking beams were seized, a little heat & a improvised puller. I pulled the differential plug and four gallons of water ran out. We removed differential cover, does not look good. Are any internal gears available? The ring & pinion may be ok. The differential carrier is welded into the center tub and is built differently than the drawings depict. The brake rods come up through the top cover not the front. I don’t know if can see this in the pic’s… Paul

Attachments

• DSC02396.JPG
    DSC02396.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 1,098
  • DSC02400.JPG
    DSC02400.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,116
  • DSC02401.JPG
    DSC02401.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 1,101
  • DSC02394.JPG
    DSC02394.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 1,116
  • DSC02382.JPG
    DSC02382.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,115
  • DSC02391.JPG
    DSC02391.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 1,120

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
BB Carrier, We have all the parts for the Diff,The only thing that looks a little different is the thickness of the Ring gear. Is it a 9tooth or a 6 tooth pinion looks like a 9? 35 tooth Ring? Someone said they may have spot-ed another one of these in Minnesota just lately we are checking into it now. Yes the steering band levers oscillate between top or front on different versions but the chunk is the same.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks a lot like the diff in the J-5. Casing is slightly different though.
picture.php

picture.php

Yes, you are correct the Chunk on the SW 48,54,64,J5,All SV Models,Muskeg
And even some of the Go-tract is the same with few exceptions the ring and pinions. 9 or 6 tooth pinion and most are a righthand ring left hand pinion but a few are left hand ring and right hand pinion. some of the Go-tracts have a different axle gear but in nutshell most parts are the same.

BB Carrier

[FONT=&quot]We need some advice please… After six hours the diff is out. Not very easy working under the dashboard. This unit is quite a bit different from the drawings at Boggies site. The planet & pinion gears are one piece. They wrapped brass stock around the shaft and pressed them into the end piece… Are others assembled this way??? All three bosses on the small end are cracked. Side play on planet bushings .125in. The big end is in better shape, but still to sloppy. The ring and pinion gears are Dana, 43 / 8. Are parts available to update this to the two piece planet, pinion? Thanks, Paul[/FONT]

Attachments

• DSC02402.JPG
    DSC02402.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 1,036
  • DSC02406.JPG
    DSC02406.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,017
  • DSC02408.JPG
    DSC02408.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 995
  • DSC02409.JPG
    DSC02409.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,017

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is quite different than most. can you get a shot looking into the case?
what was the bearing number on the ends of the chunk? I'm hoping that you can update it with the modern chunk. if not it may be really hard to find those parts. normally there is a bushing around those shafts.:chris:

BB Carrier

That is quite different than most. can you get a shot looking into the case?
what was the bearing number on the ends of the chunk? I'm hoping that you can update it with the modern chunk. if not it may be really hard to find those parts. normally there is a bushing around those shafts.:chris:

Correction on the end bearings: Cup, Timken # 28317, Cone, Bower # 28156. On this unit the bushing is presses into the brake drum gear. Paul

Attachments

• DSC02412.JPG
    DSC02412.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 702
  • DSC02414.JPG
    DSC02414.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 708
  • DSC02415.JPG
    DSC02415.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 719
  • DSC02416.JPG
    DSC02416.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 697

BB Carrier

Hello All, Just letting you know were still at this... but slowly ...

DSC02526.jpg

P60 is all rebuilt & runs nice.

DSC03239.jpg

Started working on the tracks, a lot of sandblasting.

Paul

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm glad to hear that you are still working on it and making progress !

The engine looks sharp !

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Paul,

Looking good....but now you will have to tell us why there is a large model
rocket on your shop wall!:biggrin: Another hobby perhaps? :whistling:

Regards, Kirk

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
You have quite a project going on there . Very nice work . I love seeing the old cats carefully reborn . Welcome to the group of Rare ones !!!!:smile:

rickster

I wonder if I am number 12 or one of the 10 remaining.I am also planning on fixing my B.B.up.I just had it shipped from Halifax, N.S.to Winnipeg, Mb.glad I found this forum.

gregolver

I know this is an old post but I joined just so I could post on it, any updates to it,

I found this ,I was trying to find some info on the BB carrier, as to what it was, I found one here and I'm trying to buy it, I had no idea what it was( I knew it was a Bombardier snow cat but that's all I knew, Its a basket case but its there, if I can make a deal on it I will post it , this one has a flat head straight six in it, hi to all