• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for a good heavy duty hose reel

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a couple nice looking hose reels on sale at Lowes. On sale for $34 each. Supposed to hold up to 175ft of 5/8's hose. All good. Till I got it home and tried to put our hose on it. I 'thought' 5/8's was the biggest size hose. I guess not. The 100ft hose I have would not even fit inside the 'box'. I had 20ft or so of hose that would not fit on the reel. See first pic to see the hose reel in question. It was tough to reel in the hose and not as stable as I had hoped. I also found I need the wheels cause that hose is heavy.

So I have two of these to return to Lowes next week and I'm looking for recommendations for a heavy duty hose reel. I found one on Amazon that looks like it might fit the bill but I prefer to see it and touch it before shelling out 99 bucks for a hose reel.

Link to amazon hose reel. https://www.lowes.com/pd/NeverLeak-Aluminum-Cart-Hose-Reel/1000147833

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• LowesHoseReel.jpg
    LowesHoseReel.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 20
  • AmazonHoseReel.jpg
    AmazonHoseReel.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 20

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I have 2 of really well built ones and each will hold 150 ft of 5/8" hose. One has bicycle wheels, the other was designed to be bolted to a wall but I adapted it to bolt to one of the old step style grocery carts that works similar to a hand truck. Linda ordered the bicycle style off amazon but I'll see if I can find a name on it and send you a pic of it. I'm pretty sure it will hold 200 ft of hose as long as you wind it on evenly as I do.
Mike

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought one of these a couple years back and after those 2 years, I'll give it "Just OK" as a rating. The mechanics of it aren't perfect and the chrome rusts pretty quickly (so I coated with Fluid Film). It does hold A LOT of hose. Although on wheels, I really don't move it so it works fine for me.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623839_200623839
product_200623839_200623839

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I wouldn't buy anything made out of plastic (or even aluminum held together by plastic) if you intend to use any sort of heavy duty hose.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wouldn't buy anything made out of plastic (or even aluminum held together by plastic) if you intend to use any sort of heavy duty hose.
Interesting as my experience has been the opposite. I've had/used those plastic Ames and Good Housekeeping brands of plastic carts and they last for many years (like 15+) but the cart is 99% stationary (not wheeled around). The one I have is nearly 25 years old and it's pretty well shot but still works. I only bought that metal one from Northern Tool as I received some gift cards and couldn't think of anything else to buy.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's mine, the name tag says "Liberty". That's a 100 ft hose on it.

Attachments

• hose reel 001 (Small).JPG
    hose reel 001 (Small).JPG
    61 KB · Views: 13
  • hose reel 002 (Small).JPG
    hose reel 002 (Small).JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 13