• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

It wasn't McCall, but I got out with the cat

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Since my vacation had been scheduled and I was mostly stuck with the dates, I packed up and did some snow camping last few days.

Attachments

• DSC00523 - Copy.jpg
    DSC00523 - Copy.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 441
  • DSC0052fb7.jpg
    DSC0052fb7.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 439

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like fun... tell me about your trailer. I’m thinking of building one for my cat. How did you fab the ski?

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like fun... tell me about your trailer. I’m thinking of building one for my cat. How did you fab the ski?

First, my trailer had to do two purposes: Ski trailer and rock shield. If you want a world class model look at the one made by Mikemikelle. His is the target.

I wanted the following functions: As light weight as possible. Both a trailer and a rock shield. Cheap as possible.

The chassis is a cheap harbor freight folding trailer 1195 lb. I cut two 1 ft sections out of each side leaving a 6 ft trailer. The deck is 6 ft wide of 3/8ths plywood.

I used "SuperStrut" for the steel members and cut up sections of old water pressure tank for the ends. The ski is 1/2" UHMW 10" wide x 5' long (yeilding appx 1000++ sq inch bearing surface for the pair) There are 2 runners per ski each 30" long of 1"x1" UHMW. For the area not covered by the runners, the bolts are 1/4-20 with nylocks. The runners are tapped 1/4-20 and bolted through. Heated the UHMW to bend to the ends and then drilled and bolted them with counterbored holes in the UHMW.

I can post more images if you want. But mostly it was just a "what do I have, and what can I make" project.

The rock shield portion: It folds up to a 3 ft high x 6 ft wide barrier that mounts on the haul trailer (ski removed) to keep the front of the trac from being pelted with rock.

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
We're new to snow cats and haven't tried camping with it yet, Burgdorf has the rustic cabins but not sure that technically counts, but might have to try that. Being new here, not sure what part of the country you're in but we are lucky enough to be close to McCall. We tracked into GoldFork hot springs the 10th and this was going into Burgdorf the 11th and they have had over 30 inches since then.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/attachment.php?attachmentid=110552&stc=1&d=1550807057

Attachments

• 20190211_121405.jpg
    20190211_121405.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 377

vintagebike

Hope to see you for McCallin’ All Cats 2020. We are hoping to build a strong local snow cat group for the McCall Vintage Snowcat Club. Steve and the McCall Crew

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
While this was 'vacation', I was also looking at a potential new comm system for the research group. Short notice or I would have posted to see if anyone else wanted to go. It's much more fun (and safer) with a group.

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Yea Cidertom,
Copy the more fun and safer. But we too end up taking off by ourselves and getting pretty deep into the woods sometimes in our jeep, it could turn into a long walk home. Thats one thing in warm weather in the jeep, a whole other thing in winter conditions. These first trips for us learning and solving issues in the snowcat are where there is plenty of snowmobile traffic going by during the day. I have outfitted the cat with supplies and propane heat to last several days in the rear(8 passanger model) if it came to that. Right now in our area, search and rescue are looking for a guy that left his wife and child to walk out after thier truck got stuck in a snowbank while going into their cabin in a remote area. The wife and child were found safe in the truck by snowmobilers after a week there, he's still missing. That scenario is why we always take one of these with us.
https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Last edited:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
copy that, I also use the inreach units

I tend to go we’re others don’t. Sometimes as much as 70miles off the beaten paths.and yes,I have walked out 15 miles after miring into swamp. Always ready for a survival situation,you just can’t predict. I do tend to go alone or in very well trained, very small group. Just don’t want to have to call someone’s spouse and tell them any bad news. Unlike the show “naked and afraid “ I’m sometimes afraid and sometimes naked But hopefully not at the same time.:yum:

Last edited:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
When back country so far I have never been out of reach on the ham radio I have. BUT, the safety system I use, is two people who know where, when due. If something happens that I can't use the radio/beacon/etc they will initiate the search. I carry food, shelter, fire making supplies in the cat in easy to be thrown clear boxes. ( I've been in two cats that have caught fire) So if something bad happens, I trust my training and preparation to see me through until the cavalry arrives. In my opinion walking out is the last resort. Much easier to find the cat and then me in a treewell tent nearby.

All in all,having two+ cats is a better deal. Just sometimes it doesn't work that way.

CT

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If, I go it alone,I use the bread crumb markers with the inreach it allows markers to be placed on a computer that someone can check seeing your movements and
You can text canned messages out like “done for day all ok” or someone can text you a message to check up. And you can answer.

Two vehicles is always a better idea.....

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have any experience with ham radio but it sounds like it can cover that base as well. I have a buddy that has the SpotX and he likes it, but the features of the Garmin Explorer+ works for me. We do take responsibility for self and others when 'out there' so it's important to have some decent options if needed, you know, just because I'm not as invincible as I was when I was 18.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
another bit of insurance that would be a minor inconvenience and also fun is to tow a snowmobile behind on a trailer or on the rear deck if you have one. I am new to this too and my cabin is only 4 miles but if stuck could take you all day to walk out. With the thin air and the snow resistance up and down hill not to mention the bear and lion tracks everywhere. At the minimum it would be very stressful for everyone.in my cat even though a short trip I have enough supplies to do a minor bush fix to the engine and tracks (Fluids, tools, track patch and bolts, gas can, fuel line, universal radiator hose, water, jump pack with built in compressor ,small propane heater and a gun. It all fits behind the seat in the cab. I might never need it but it makes me feel better.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
It's all about the filling, not the wrapper.

Attachments

• igloo.jpg
    igloo.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 182

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Bears and Lions? Any Tigers? Oh my!
We're not in Kansas any more...

when I first bought the property it never really crossed my mind I was all over the property in the summer and never saw anything but deer. I have made 2 winter trips and both times bear tracks as big as both hands put together and mountain lion tracks as big as my fist. I'm a pretty soft target now days also going to pick up some bear spray.

luvthemvws

It's a foolish carnivore indeed that would mess with a Kristi in the wild!
Even disabled, a Kristi strikes terror in the hearts of others, much like a T-Rex (a K-Rex?).

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
It's a foolish carnivore indeed that would mess with a Kristi in the wild!
Even disabled, a Kristi strikes terror in the hearts of others, much like a T-Rex (a K-Rex?).

want to trade the kristy for the Thiokol I have sounds like I could carry a lot less gear and be safer too? OOPs now I'm going to get it from both ends I'll be safer with the wild life.

vintagebike

Only the strong survive

(Jump back a page first!) There will be bears. There will be wolves. Who will be brave enough for the overnight Snow Cat camping adventure? An optional add on to McCallin’ All Cats 2020. Friday February 21- Saturday February 22.

Last edited: