• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Painting drywall with electric sprayer

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen a youtube video where the guy finishes a room in record time using an electric airless paint sprayer.

I have a whole lot of new drywall to paint and would much prefer to spray than brush and roll. I think the paint would go further and I could get done quicker.

I thought renting equipment would be a good alternative but my local rental place has them for $75 a day. Commercial type sprayer. So ..I'll probably have to buy whatever I plan to use instead of renting.

But I've never done this. Do any of you have experience with this? Looking for tips, warnings and recommendations for what to buy if this is the best way to get er done.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a Wagner, the kind that sucks paint out of a bucket. It has performed well except the valve seat wore out in the gun and started leaking. I found the Wagner gun had a non replaceable valve so bought a Graco gun. If you need to stop overnite just immerse the gun with hose attached in a bucket of water. When finished cleanup should be meticulously done outdoors on grass or dirt. Start out with the snorkel in a bucket of clean water with a garden hose running slowly in the bucket. With the priming hose out of the bucket start switching the prime/ spray valve back and forth until water is clear coming out of the prime hose. Then start pumping water thru the gun until the water is clear by spraying into another empty container to see the clarity of the water. When done remove the filter in the handle and thoroughly clean it with water and a fine wire brush, remove the tip and clean it with the wire brush. There is a screen in the bottom of the suction that will need to be removed and cleaned also. Any paint stuck on suction hose, etc can be removed using a plastic dish scrubber. All this is assuming you're using latex paint.
HTH,
Mike

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How about something in between a regular roller and a sprayer?

Are you familiar with a "paint stick"? It's a roller on a long handle. The handle is hollow and using a syringe type action, you fill the handle with about a pint of paint from the paint can. You can then paint quite a bit by using what's in the handle as opposed to constantly going back to the tray.

Here's an example.
https://www.amazon.com/PaintStick-C800953-M-Applicator-Painting-Interior/dp/B0102ZBGJG/

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys.
I had not heard of that Brian. Pretty slick. It seems it would be ideal for smaller jobs so you don't have as much clean up as you do with an airless sprayer.
For this job and others this summer I am leaning hard towards an airless sprayer solution. I can envision quite a few project where that would come in very handy.
From Bob's post it appears he got the top of the line home owners unit. I would like to go that route if I can swing it, but review other makes and models to. Mainly looking at Home Depot and Amazon for now. Plenty of reviews to get ideas on operation of each type.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, just talked with my contractor. He has a sprayer. He showed me areas in the finished basement where the sprayer would be near impossible to use unless, a big UNLESS, the walls were to be the same color as the ceiling. Sounds good to me but momma says no freaking way. The ceiling will be white, the baseboard will be white so no way will she be happy with basic white walls. So ..back to the drawing board. That roller you shared above Brian might be just the ticket. But ...now I want a sprayer to for a few outside projects. I guess that can wait.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Or ....reading more I can probably use a canister sprayer and not do the trim areas. Still sounds better than rolling.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Even with a sprayer, you still will end up using a brush and roller. If the painters to send it with the sprayer it will run. It takes practice getting everything right. Don’t expect to save any time on your first project. You get the hang of it, but it is not a quick and easy solution until you know what you’re doing.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I once painted a basement with a cheap electric sprayer when I was younger. Didn't really think it through. Got great paint coverage. Spent about 2 hours trying to get the paint out of my facial orifices and hair. Nothing like shoving turpentine soaked tissues up your nose. Kind of gun shy on using a sprayer indoors but I think there are some pretty good HVLP sprayers out there these days.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Contractor is doing the ceiling tommorrow and Friday. Ceiling will be done. Drywall will not be ready for painting until sometime next week.

Thanks for the tips on this. I decided to try it on the mid priced end. I'd love one like you got Bob but not sure I'd have enough work to justify 389 which is what it costs now.

So I went with the
Wagner FLEXiO 3000 HVLP Paint Sprayer.
Home depot had it for 159.
Will report back once I've painted the walls.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck with it. Using a sprayer is one of those skills that I never mastered. I'll use one on big outdoor projects, which I don't do anymore, but never inside. I also hate the clean up afterwards.

I've used the paint stick that bczoom mentioned and liked it for doing walls and ceilings. It was quick and did a good job. As I remember, it was cheap enough that I didn't even bother cleaning it when finished. Tossed it in the trash.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a never used paint sprayer for sale. LOL really, I plan to return it. After reading more and watching some youtube videos on spraying I did not even attempt that.

But, I picked up one of the pump rollers and decided to give it a try. I didn't care for it. The handle sticks out to 4 ft when loaded and is hard to maneuver in hallways and impossible in tight spots where furniture is just a little ways from the wall. Cleaning it sucks. I just reread how ETF said he just tossed it rather than clean it. It only cost 24 bucks so dumb me cleans it but I have no plans to use it again. :bonk:

So I used the pump roller to put the primer on the drywall last night. Today put the first finish coat on the drywall and yes dammit, it does need a 2nd coat. Will be doing that tomorrow. Today used the basic roller. 3/4" knap roller that held more paint and it worked like a breeze. Reminded me of folks trying to make a better mouse trap when the existing one works. Same with the roller. It works. Easy clean up. 2nd coat should go on easy tomorrow, at least my back hopes so.

Will have some pics to share later tomorrow or Friday.

Again, thanks for the input. Y'all save me from making a mess with a sprayer trying to save time but I have a feeling I would have made a mess and cussed like the sailor I am.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc - When using the paint stick, do the big areas when the tube is full/long. When it shortens up, head for the corners or smaller areas. (Or don't fill the tube all the way if you have small areas).

Since you used the roller today and plan on using it tomorrow, why did you wash it? We just wrap it in one of those plastic grocery bags and put it in the fridge overnight.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I still prefer the regular roller to the pump. With just a little it I'd have to refill as often as I have to roll in the pan. More awkward to me.

Put the 2nd finish coat on today. Whew. Tired. For lack of knowing better I used 3/4 nap roller yesterday. It picks up more paint so you don't have to dip it as much and get thicker coverage (so the paint clerk told me). But, still needed another coat according to the boss. Before doing it I mildly disagreed with her. After putting the 2nd coat on I do see the difference in depth and shine, so she was right, but I won't say that to loud. LOL

Today I used the 3/8 nap roller. Maybe I should have used it both times but I had both so I used them. I simply do not reuse rollers. For the cost I have no issue using a paper towel to take them off the roller and toss them straight into the trash. I have washed them out before and after spending hours painting then taking 15 minutes to wash it out both my back and I prefer to toss it. I had never heard of wrapping and putting it in the fridge. Interesting but I do like starting out with a new roller if possible.

We are now ready for the flooring and cabinets to be delivered tomorrow. Next on the agenda flooring will go down, then doors, trim and wet bar cabinets. Contractor is doing most of the work from here on out. Woo Hoo.
Here are a few pics ...

Attachments

• IMG_4632.jpg
    IMG_4632.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4633.jpg
    IMG_4633.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4634.jpg
    IMG_4634.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4635.jpg
    IMG_4635.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4631-b.jpg
    IMG_4631-b.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 16

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Looking good Doc.

We're in the same process at out house. We're in week 4 but the painter took a week off for the birth of his third child. He's now back and in full swing. I've been watching him work to see the difference in what he does to what I do. He spends an inordinate amount of time in prep. Not just taping and caulking but in sanding, scraping and filling. The actual application of the paint doesn't take that long and everything gets two coats. He'll probably be finished in another week. I hope. I'm tired of smelling wet paint.

The other tradesmen are lining up behind him so he better not slow down. The electricians are here tomorrow to replace fans and a bunch of light fixtures.