• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Progress on IMP

hansoni

Been busy the past couple weeks with some time to spend on the IMP. Floor is down and cage built for the cab. Should get most of the sheet metal on this week. Layout for seating and mock up of windows and a cardboard gas tank thats being made now.

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,077
  • seating.jpg
    seating.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,072
  • windows.jpg
    windows.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,088
  • P1010095.jpg
    P1010095.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 1,075

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking good!!!

Your on the home stretch, winter is coming soon..

Hope for some snow soon....

Regards, Kirk

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Outside the box question:

Is there ever any consideration to roll over protection? Your cabin looks very well thought out, but if the vehicle ever goes over it looks like it will crush easily.

hansoni

I may still put a roll bar on the inside somewhere around the middle. Did they come with roll bars from the factory? Do they roll?

jkp2

I think I've seen this IMP before. Did you buy it in Otisfield? They had 2 of them, I bought the other one a couple of years back.

I like the full cab, nice work!

hansoni

It is! Thing was so ripped apart we had to re-build or replace a lot. Building a hydraulic steering system now.

I sent ya a pm

Steve

Restless

Am anticipateing a like project were did you access your rivets they look like a perfect match... thankyou for shareing your project pics ..

hansoni

I went through just over 1000 rivets. Got them at MSC or Grainger. I built the cab similar to how the rest of the machine was originally built with .050 aluminium sheet and overlapped the roof panels on the sides and back and used chalking on all the roof framing before putting down the roof panels. I used 3" spacing on the rivets just like the machine had already staggering them where I could. I used 2" spacing on the center roof panel where it overlapped the others.

hansoni

Back from paint and dry fitting a few things before nailing them down. My son and I have had fun with this project and hope to have it running by the end of the week.
Glass should be in this week too.

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 693
  • red3.jpg
    red3.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 688
  • red2.jpg
    red2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 682

NE-Iowa

Congrats and an amazing Job on the Imp!

Frederique B.

Back from paint and dry fitting a few things before nailing them down. My son and I have had fun with this project and hope to have it running by the end of the week.
Glass should be in this week too.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Shaping up nicely!

question, can you pull your radiator straight up through that hole in the hood?

that is a great Idea.

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Looking fantastic. Did you replace your springs too? Got a good part number/supplier for a match?

hansoni

Yes the previous owner had cut the hole big enough to lift the radiator out. They had also switched over to an electric fan and they both don't fit unless you load both at the same time the fan through the front. We did replace all the leafs with new I have a drawing somewhere.
Steve

Attachments

• spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 660

hansoni

Here we are at about 90 percent complete had it out this weekend running the kids around the yard. Looks like we could actually get some snow tonight!

Attachments

• P1010330.jpg
    P1010330.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 499
  • P1010331.jpg
    P1010331.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 499
  • P1010334.jpg
    P1010334.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 502
  • P1010336.jpg
    P1010336.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 505

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice job. We got about 8" in Mass today. Hope you get to get it snowy new few days before the big melt!

Snowgeorge

Great looking imp
I'm the new owner of a 72 imp and want to put a muffler on the exhaust currently it is straight piped o under the passenger door. I was thinking of turning the corner and running it out the back with a glass pack any suggestions
Snowgeorge 72 imp

undy

any suggestions
Snowgeorge 72 imp

Sure.

First off, I'd suggest starting a new thread about your own cat. It keeps things a little easier to follow. People will post advice to you on your thread, and this guy's thread stays a bit more on-topic.

Second, I'd suggest tacking on a photo of your cat. Yes, we've all seen pictures of an Imp before. But we're all voyeurs and want to see more. Sort of the old expression about "you'll catch more flies with honey...". The more honey, the more bees.

:brows:

Third, do you want a muffler or a glass-pack? From my experience as a kid, they are not synonymous. Maybe it was my accelerator foot, but glass-packs never did much muffling where I was.

:whistling:

Scotg1107

I'd love to see some more info on your Hydro steering setup do you have any pictures of it and do you care to share some info about it?

Thanks

Scot

hansoni

We used a small belt driven Victor pump mounted on motor with a left and right solenoid valves actuated by an electronic joystick. I have the PSI set at 400 with a return flow gate. 6 gallons of ATF. Two small hydro pistons in the back that the flow is adjustable for speed. I used a return spring similar to the stock ones just a little heavier.
Here is a sketch of how it works and a pic of the pistons in the back and a partial look at where I mounted the solenoid panel in the tunnel.

Attachments

• 2007-12-31 23.00.00-51.jpg
    2007-12-31 23.00.00-51.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 395
  • bruce.png
    bruce.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 393
  • 2007-12-31 23.00.00-212.jpg
    2007-12-31 23.00.00-212.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 387

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I see a couple of issues that could be a concern:

1. With solenoid valves the brakes are either on or off. I have found that when driving my cat, which has the same differential/brake unit as yours, that I make a lot of fine adjustments to the steering. Especially when traversing a slope as the cat will always want to turn downhill. Brake application while traveling along can vary from minimal to maximum and everything in between. With a non proportional system, you may find your steering to be very jerky and have difficulty with overcorrecting. With the high grousers you are using, this could put a lot of stress on the drive system. The only time I use full steering force is in a tight turn and even then rarely. Most of the time it is just small light momentary pulls on the levers.

If you are in fact using proportional hydraulic valves then this would not be a problem, but gets way more complicated with amplifiers, feedback and gain control, etc.

2. With a dead engine, you have no brakes or steering.

I have a lot of experience in hydraulic control systems (machine tools and aircraft) and just wanted to make you aware of potential issues with a non proportional steering system.

Last edited:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I see a couple of issues that could be a concern:
1. With solenoid valves the brakes are either on or off.
The way I avoid this on my tractors, is use either a flow restrictor orifice or a needle valve. The issue then becomes that when you want a full cylinder, you are still stuck with the slower action. I've done solenoids and the trick is getting the balance between flow and speed to achieve what you want. If you really want the electric over hydraulic, you might need a second circuit that trips when the joystick is at extreme, with no restriction. "wham" you be at full brake on that cylinder. But that adds a lot of complexity that I wouldn't want.

Great thought project

hansoni

Had her out yesterday and everything worked great. Steering is flawless and just like with the levers you can moderate the turn with the joystick. Despite the high grousers we didn't break anything and had awesome traction up some steep uphills and no problem sidehilling.

Attachments

• January 22 2017.jpg
    January 22 2017.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 310