• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

any one attending arcticman

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
ALERT be on the look out for an awd ambulance van converted to a camper. my intelligence says silent member Bob Cat will be there some one snap a picture of him before he acts like Wilson and covers his face

undy

It's good to know that somebody's responsible enough to go.

There was a writeup in Skiing magazine a few years ago, about the race. 80mph uphill on skis sounds pretty exciting. If I was a bit younger and a lot less beat up, I'd want to give that a go.

Please share any pictures.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never been there even when I did live on the road system there is usually a lot of alcohol involved too. must be necessary to add a little liquid courage to be towed up a hill at 80 mph.

undy

Yeah, I got the impression that there were a lot of drunks too. I've never been a particular fan of being drunk, and I (almost) never drink and ski. I'd say it certainly takes big cojones.

As a young kid, I got clocked doing 55mph on skis, and that seemed fast then. Back when I skied on long skis...

At my age, I'd be a spectator at best, and it's a long way there from Wisconsin.

Woody_1

I've never been to it either Don. I know alot of folks that go. I'll try to catch someone and see if they can find the rig and take a picture. :brows:

Woody_1

I've never been to it either Don. I know alot of folks that go. I'll try to catch someone and see if they can find the rig and take a picture. :brows:
Hey Don, I just talked to a friend of mine down there right now. He said the weather sucks, they postponed the race and a bunch of people are packing up and leaving. He said he was going to stay another day but not much longer. He said he would try to find Bob and take his picture for us. I'll let you know how it goes when I here back from Johnny B. Later, Bill :brows:

aksnocat

I raced (as a skier) in the first three Arctic Man Ski and Sno-Go Classics. I groomed the course with my '77 1742 the first two years. Worked on TV coverage of the forth and fifth. Haven't been back since.

Think a springtime mountain Sturgis mixed with Burning Man. It's an interesting mix of motorheads and ski techs and drunken Alaskans of all sexes and sizes.

Nowadays they claim when the Arctic Man happens at the foot of the Gulkana glacier on the former pad for Isabell Camp, the largest construction camp during the construction of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline, it becomes the third largest town in Alaska - 10 to 15 thousand people complete with a large full bar, more than a dozen Alaska State Troopers and i think even a church service. Suffice it to say it's a wild, wild event.

Last edited: