• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Any Photos of 1966 Tucker 442-A Sno-Cats? Track info request too.

AdkSnowcat

Does anyone have any photos of 1966 Tucker 442-A Sno-Cats? I am also wondering if the tracks off this 1966 machine would fit a 1974 442A? The 1966 has pontoons painted blue--is there any information on when Tucker painted pontoons blue? The 1974 has fiberglass pontoons. (I'm hoping the tracks are interchangeable.) Thank you!

As long as it's a 400 series from the later sixties the pontoons should be interchangable. Do the pontoons have the sealed greasable end bearings? To the best of my knowlege the blue pontoons were just the fiberglass construction. At one time I had a '61 443A I purchased as a parts donor cat, it had two fiberglass 'toons and two steel 'toons. They produced the steel pontoons early on in orange then switched to black later on.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

AdkSnowcat

Thank you very much! So the blue pontoons are fiberglass--that means both my machines have fiberglass pontoons. I bought the '66 on the Internet. I haven't seen it yet (much less picked it up). So I don't know about the end bearings. It is great news that the pontoons and tracks are interchangeable! The '66 is supposed to have good tracks and rollers. My '74 can use better ones. At least I should be able to get one good usable machine out of this. (But I will shoot for two!) Thanks again!

AdkSnowcat

I am still trying to figure out if the '66 Tucker I bought is stock. It seems like I see so many different versions of sheet metal on these machines. I have seen a 1967 442A--it has a different cab. Many I see have different cab shapes on others too. Some seem to have no cab space between the rear edge of the door and the rear of the cab. Some have a foot or so of space. Some have a window there and some don't.

Some Sno-Cats also have sloping hoods (that is, the hood/engine compartment is higher in the rear near the windshield) and some seem to be pretty level. My guess is there was a sheet metal change between 1966 and 1967. I'd love to see some photos of 1966 Sno-Cats. Maybe the cab size was an option? I'd like to see a close up of a grill too. Do the side engine covers attach to the grill on the front (with rivets) in 1966? Thanks!

You know that's part of the Tucker fun - they made (and still do) many variations and custom tweaks to their cats.
For example, I recently looked at a hybrid 1644 / 1544 with 6 bogeys in the front and 5 bogeys in the rear that was a custom job from the Medford plant. Bill at Snotrans has it listed for sale. At first look I thought it was a mismatched freak - but that's what the original owner, PG&E I believe, wanted. For awhile it seemed that Tucker would change their sheet-metal every other year or so.

Enjoy your cat - hope it works out for you!

AdkSnowcat

Thank you! It seems like they must have made all sorts of configurations. I'd love to find some site that has photos of each year's models. I keep seeing more and more different looking Tuckers. Yours in the ID photo looks like a nice Sno-Cat. The Roanoke Transportation Museum near me has a similar one. I see a photo of it on Google every once in a while. Do you have more photos of yours? Thanks again!