• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for plans (to build mini-tracked vehicle like in this video)

fastkars52

Hello,

I just signed up. I'm looking to build a two passenger tracked vehicle similar to this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY7wd0OuEb4"]YouTube - tracked vehicle[/ame] :w00t2:

The seating would be inline. Anyway, does anyone know where I can buy plans for this kind of vehicle? Thanks. :biggrin:

Bruce

fastkars52@yahoo.com

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Looking for plans

Bruce,

Welcome to the forum!

Mind if we move this introduction thread over to the SnowCat area? You may get more hits there as not all of the snowcat guys venture out into this section of the forum.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Looking for plans

does anyone know where I can buy plans for this kind of vehicle?
I dunno where you could buy them but if you find out please share the source!!!

We have several hobby-fabricator/shade-tree mechanics here who would probably love to build that thing!

Mind if we move this introduction thread over to the SnowCat area? You may get more hits there as not all of the snowcat guys venture out into this section of the forum.
That's a good idea. I will move it to the NOT NECESSARILY SNOWCATS area to see if it draws more interest. There will be a 'redirect' from the original location to there also.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
By the way, for the tracks, I'd bet you could splice together a couple snowmobile tracks and make a set long enough to work on a small vehicle like that one. The hard part would be the steering mechanism, could a car differential be used???

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i think getting a snow trac varriator system would be a better choice for high speed opperation as brake steering can be exiting at high speeds, that is why all your new high powered armor uses a cross drive transmissions that chnge gear ratios from left to right to steer. that track sustem is cool and the road wheels look kind of sw48ish a longer track base would make for better stability and a smoother ride, the track system he has is using the walter christie princaples with a loose track and torsion arm axles i don't see much use for it but it seems capable and looks fun.

fastkars52

That's good info. Thanks. But it doesn't get me any closer to finding plans to build the thing. Once I have the plans in hand then I'll probably have further questions about what kind of tracks would be best, engines, diffs, and the like. Do you have a set of plans, or do you know where to get some? Plans are what I'm really interested in getting my hands on right now. Thanks. ;-)

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that's a one off machine i don't think you are going to find plans which is why i provided the info you need to create your own plans. in the long run you might save money buying a cushman trackster raid trac or a ranger for somethng in that size class and upgrade it with a moderen reliable engine.
if your are looking for a fun buggy than i beieve you will have to build from scratch

fastkars52

You may be right Don. But I'd still like to see if I can find some plans. I've also been contacted by a guy who has some used Thiokol's for parts. I may get there yet. Stay tuned. :w00t2:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I've seen these videos before. Neat and fun looking little toy.

It's powered by a little turbo diesel engine, too! :w00t2:

aksnocat

Here's something that looks somewhat similar that does offer plans:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPHT9wm5cI&feature=fvw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPHT9wm5cI&feature=fvw[/ame]

fubar

I dunno,
but if you go over to the first guys house, don't park your car where he can see it...unless you don't mind tracks all over it!! :hide:
I thought the white van was gonna get it a couple of times.

timandkim

cool stuff i seen a homemade sno cat made out of a front wheel drive car in the bush one time we were moose hunting and this guy came along got to look at it a bit but never had a camera ... also seen one built out of a hydrstatic swather that was a very nice machine ....there is a guy up here in the bush that is trying to put the components out of a hydrostatic swather into a br 100 tub will be a fine machine if it ever gets done ...
Tim

weatherby

Here is a little tracked vehicle

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 17,886
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 17,958

timandkim

and whats with the smooth flat track cleats something looks way off with the track set up .....wonder is that restored to 1953 original
Tim

timandkim

thanks for saying its a really good model i don't feel so dumb now...i just showed that pic to kim and she thought it was real ,,,but she is blond
Tim

timandkim

wow he sure did a neat job very deceiving pics that's why i don't buy sno cats off of pics on the internet ...if the guy ever makes a video sure would love to see it .... that is if the guy can get out of the cab to run the camera he looks kinda smooshed in there lol...

sutluc

About the first vehicle, I think the tracks are Hagglund tracks. I've seen videos of a few of those Swedish home built tracked vehicles and many of them seem to use those tracks.
I'd use conveyor belt. Time consuming making grousers and wheel guides, but probably cheap in comparison. (unless you live in Sweden, I think Hagglund tracks must grow on trees there)

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
they arn't skegga tracks but i believe they are a rubber track for a skid steer loader or mini excavator it looks like a go anywhere toy but i would bet after a 50 mile trip you would be wore out