• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My first wall!

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have taken up bricklaying! I needed a retaining wall as I am about to put an arch up to train a wisteria up, so I have attemped to build a little wall. I have photographed it as it may fall down if my first attempt at making mortar doesn't work, but at present I am very pleased with it. It is even quite level!!

Attachments

• Wall and pond 002.jpg
    Wall and pond 002.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 52

loboloco

An interesting mix on your bricks. I assume they are pick ups from somewhere? Hope it works for you

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Loboloco, yes just some bricks I had lying about the place from previous builders and scrounged ones from anywhere I could collect them. 'Rain stopped play' today so I don't know whether they have set or not and I can't continue with the project - think I might go paint a picture in my studio!

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
couple of tips ....when you do the mix use a ratio of 4 parts soft sand to 1 part cement(not to dry and yet not sloppy....like a thick peaked cream)....try not to mess about with the mixture too much...just lay the mortar on add the bricks scrape off excess ....fill any bits and tidy up any untidy bits when the mortar has add time to settle a bit as this stops stains on the wall.

But you are doing a great Job IQ i admire your spirit.

I will get a pic of my first brickwork attempt later(that was some years back)...if i remember.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anita, I have only one question.

Did you get a permit from your local council to allow you to build that wall?​
:hammer: