• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Just me? Or does this feel like its going to be a very long day?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
SUMMER SOLSTICE TODAY :hammer:

The longest day of the year. Its all down hill from here. Days will be getting shorter for the next 6 months.

5 Facts to know about today

http://www.ibtimes.com/summer-solstice-2014-5-facts-know-about-first-day-summer-1606440
When does the summer solstice begin, exactly?

In the Northern Hemisphere, the summer solstice begins at 6:51 a.m. EDT on June 21, according to Almanac.com, officially ringing in summer. The date brings the year’s longest stretch of daylight. Though the hours of sunlight depend on location, many areas will see 16 hours’ worth of light on Saturday.

Why does the solstice occur?

The word solstice is from the Latin solstitium from sol (sun) and stitium (to stop), because it appears the sun stops at the solstice. The solstice happens twice annually due to the Earth’s axis of rotation. Depending on the calendar year, the summer solstice happens annually in December for the Southern Hemisphere and on June 20 or 21 in the northern half of the world.

For science aficionados, the summer solstice occurs precisely when the Earth's axial tilt is most inclined toward the sun, at the degree of 23° 26', its most extreme. In June, the tilt is toward the sun in the Northern Hemisphere, while the second yearly solstice, the winter solstice, in December, the tilt is away from the sun in the Southern Hemisphere.

How is the solstice celebrated?

The solstice marks the first day of summer in the Northern Hemisphere, and that means flip-flops, beach trips and barbecues. In southern England, thousands flock to Stonehenge to see the sun rise from the vantage point of the 4,000-year-old solar monument.

The summer solstice is also a time of celebration for Christians and Pagans. In Christianity, the first day of summer marks the festival of St. John the Baptist, and in Paganism followers celebrate what they call "midsummer" with bonfires and feasts.

Is it the longest day of the year?

The summer solstice has the longest hours of daylight for the Northern Hemisphere, Time And Date reported. The sun, which usually rises directly in the east, rises north of east and sets north of west. This means the sun is in the sky for a longer period of time, yielding more daylight.

Why do the warmest days of summer generally come long after the solstice?

According to Space.com, it takes a month or two for some geographic areas to see their warmest days simply because it takes the Earth time to warm up. In fact, solstices do not mark the start of winter or summer at all; they are actually the midpoint of each season.

Almanac.com calls this phenomenon, when the land and oceans release stored heat back into the atmosphere much later than the first day of summer, the “seasonal temperature lag."

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's just PART of the North Slope's 'Longest Day':

Longest Day: 63 days, 23 hours, 40 min.
Official sunrise: 12:09 AM - on 20th of May
Official sunset:11:18 PM - on 22nd of July

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's just PART of the North Slope's 'Longest Day':

Longest Day: 63 days, 23 hours, 40 min.
Official sunrise: 12:09 AM - on 20th of May
Official sunset:11:18 PM - on 22nd of July

OK, now you are just showing off :poke:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I plan to light a bonfire and do some feasting. :clap:

Now that sounds like a plan!! Maybe some tannerite andd some gasoline to light the fire with! Yea!

The crazies that are out tonight better beware...:brows:

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
today I walked a 12 mile stretch of forest road picking of trash. we had about 10 people and found some interesting stuff.
This is what I did on the longest day.
a boot with a fake leg in it.
DSC00270.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
this weekend 1 trip to teller to pull codes and check out a no start 140 miles round trip Mini me made new friends and went swimming. day 2 a trip to the historic corduroy road on the casadepaga to install a new wheel bering on Brutis the temps sat had to be hitting 70 degrees. Tim spent the day swimming with the dogs in the casa . Dad cooked up some chili and hot dogs over a camp fire for chilli dogs. hooked the jeep to Brutis and made our way back to the road ,Tim and the dogs ran the last 5 miles back right down the middle of the Solomon river back to the trail head. pics are coming, I have to down load them.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well we are not in Alaska but our daylight in Idaho are very long right now . 4AM to 10 PM

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
here are some pics from the last few weeks 2 weeks ago I ran brutis in to ruby creek to move a nodwell trailer to a mining claim. on the way out I had a wheel bering on the right front axle fail I dismantled it in the field put the road wheel onto a 4 wheeler and rode biker bitch out. last weekend I fired up the old trusty cj-5 threw on the tow bar and went back out in the back country with mini me and the dogs spent about 45 minutes reassembling Brutis and took a trip into the casa depaga river along the historic corduroy road. Tim played with dogs barak Obama (the black mop) , Sarge the little white moxie ,and Boss dog the 8 month old chocolate lab trailer park trash mix. we ate chillie dogs cooked over a fire than headed home getting back into town about 11:30pm all this after a trip to teller 80 miles the other way to preform some service calls on some cars up there. now I can't put up the pics because there is a security token missing any body know what this is

jask

Don your images or the total upload size probably exceeded the maximum allowable, try to resize the photos (sometimes emailing them to yourself will do this automatically) or post them one or two at a time.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Had to get up at MIDNIGHT just for the bloody blokes at the forum!,...@#$%^&*!-vs- which answer is more politically correct?
(It was overcast the last whole week, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)
100_0882.jpg

100_0883.jpg

MIDNIGHT YESTERDAY 6/30, AND MIDNIGHT TODAY 7/1.

undy

a boot with a fake leg in it.
DSC00270.jpg

That's not exactly something that somebody would just walk (or limp) away and leave. Lucky it was just a fake leg.

Around here, somebody just found two bodies in suitcases along the road.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
finally got my longest day photos posted. as you can see MiniMe feels no pain . just swimming away with snow in the background

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 147

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
hey I have some winter pictures of the last train to no where. the corduroy road was built with rail road ties from the Solomon rail road aka the last train to no where. shown in the first picture. the rail way ran from nome to council. it hat 2 barge river crossings one at safety and one at Solomon shown in the first picture. the goal was to link seattle to Russia through a rail network the rail road never got any farther south than to council, and no farther north than bunker hill. when the rail road went bankrupt the local miners in the casadepaga drainage ,scooped the rail road ties and built a road across the tundra from the north fork of the Solomon river to ruby creek.the road still exists today as a state right of way but it is in bad shape from years of truck and equipment and atv traffic over it. the road I believe was built in 1909

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Your pictures were GREAT!. That's one formidable Thiokol!

"ROADS?,.. WHERE WERE GOING WE DON'T NEED ROADS!"

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
yes it's getting ready to move a mining operation from the end of the kugarok road to about 8 miles out of taylor. I will try o shoot some photos of it. I took a flight over it Monday night.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll bet it really pays off to do some 'Visual Inspection' before going on one of your expeditions. Something folks in the lower 48 don't think about.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you are right one also has to remember even if you are right on the deck you can't see just how rough the ground is. out here with no trees you can get on a hill top and see farther than you may want to walk or ride.

jask

Great pics Don, that water looks good and cold. That trailer looks impressivem How much weight are you able to haul at a time?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the trailer showed a shipping weight of 12 k I moved that pretty easy I'm figuring with the right set up I should be able to move up to 20 k across a groomed trail. but a whole lot less if the snow is deep or terrain is to steep.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
HEY,.. THE SUN IS GOING DOWN,... NO,.. WAIT A MINUTE(63 seconds actually), It's Back up,.. False alarm
This actually happens tomorrow. Working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, in a place where the Sun doesn't go down gives a whole new meaning to: "No Rest For The Wicked" --- But the Food sure is good!