• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Estate jewelry ???

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a question ???

What's the best way to sell a piece of jewerlry ?? I inherited a 63ct gold/quartz pendant .It has no sentimental value . It was won in a ticket raffle . It is big and really ........big ! Did I mention it is big .
It came out of the oldest mine that is still running in the U.S. "The Sixteen to One mine"

It has been apprsised at $6000.

I don't do jewelry !!!! I will never wear it . To big for the wife too .Maybe Mr. T would like it .

So I thought maybe on EBay ,but I can't seem to find anything that is even close to the size or price of this thing , on there site ????

I don't want to do the Craigslist as I do not want to attract a nut case that I end up killing when he tries to rob me .

The jeweler wants it bad and wants to sell it on commission of 60/40 . 60% to me . That seems high to me , But then again I have never done this .I do think this would be the safe way to go .

Any suggestions?
Here's a really bad picture . The gold keeps blinding the camera ,when I try to take a decent picture

Attachments

• gold necklace 001.JPG
    gold necklace 001.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 220

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Ask the jeweler who appraised it for you to recommend a consignment shop that they trust.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ask the jeweler who appraised it for you to recommend a consignment shop that they trust.

I kinda feel uncomfortable asking him that question , as he is the one that would like to consign it .

The 60/40 deal sounds good to me.

Ok Thanks , maybe i'll just do that then . Less Headaches that way .

Who in the hell wears this kinda crap ??????? :unsure: A rototiller for my tractor sounds a lot more useful

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
You should try to negotiate that 60/40 split down to 60/20. 20% sounds like a more reasonable commission.

:mrgreen:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Al for a better photo put a new dime next to it. That will be a size comparison but more important it will give the camera something to focus on. Obviously it can't find the focus with all that glitter.

Here is an example, a photo I posted here back in 2005.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I would get a second opinion of valuel. A jeweler who wants to take an item on consignment after doing the appraisal might not have an impartial opinion. I appraise real estate, and I would want a second impartial opinion on any property that I might want to purchase if I had done the first appraisal. I would also ask the second appraiser what the going rate is for a consignment sale vs outright purchse n your area.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I think I would get a second opinion of valuel. A jeweler who wants to take an item on consignment after doing the appraisal might not have an impartial opinion. I appraise real estate, and I would want a second impartial opinion on any property that I might want to purchase if I had done the first appraisal. I would also ask the second appraiser what the going rate is for a consignment sale vs outright purchse n your area.
The first jeweler offered me $800 dollars and told me it was a great deal !:yum::yum::yum: I think he looked at my sweat pants and t shirt and made a wrong decision that I was in bad need . He thought I was desperate to sell . I thought that was hilarious .The outter ring of nuggets are worth more than that alone . I was still laughing as I walked out .I do not think he appreciated my humorous response to his offer .

My sister buys all her jewelry through the second Jeweler and suggested that I see him. He spent quite a while inspecting the piece and doing weights measurement .He knew where it came from before I even mentioned the mine it was discovered in .

So, After giving it some thought , I took it down and decided to let him handle it . I dropped it off this afternoon .
I think it will move pretty fast as Christmas is coming , he has a lot of high end buyers and his location is about as good as it gets .
I guess time will tell .