• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

J5 Ram skidder

J5 Bombardier

Glad this thread is back . Belting that came with the Ram Skidder
I would use it for sure, 6" on the outer band would be no problem and you could probably get away with it on the inner, trimming a 1/2 " on 80 feet is no fun. I have a 3 overlap on my J5 and 4 on my muskeg when I did them. More Pics please.:hammer:
J5 Bombardier

J5 Bombardier

As for the bolts, I guess the idea with fine thread is they don't rust in the thread area the same. I would use what ever carriage bolt I could get price wise and regular head on the over lap for threading them in with the impact. Stover self locking nuts are a must for myself as it is #@#@! when you have a cleat nearly fall off on the first trip out with your new tracks. Regular nuts will stay tight eventually, but lots of checking them at the start.
J5 Bombardier

mog5858

well with us having very nice weather and no snow i only got a little done in the shop as i was getting outside things done and with no snow was little motivation to get my track finished. i been working on making a punch to work with my iron worker so i don't have to punch them by hand. the hollow punch is working good just need to make a new with a better way to clear the cutting's. witch way dose the belting get bolted on rubber side facing the ground and the cords facing the inside? i going to add a few pic's old pic's as photo bucket wants 300.00 a year for the links to work. :(

eXHnEbr.jpg

eKXZvmh.jpg

nikos

mog5858
Well with us having very nice weather and no snow i only got a little done in the shop as i was getting outside things done and with no snow was little motivation to get my track finished. i been working on making a punch to work with my iron worker so i don't have to punch them by hand. the hollow punch is working good just need to make a new with a better way to clear the cutting's. witch way dose the belting get bolted on rubber side facing the ground and the cords facing the inside? i going to add a few pic's old pic's as photo bucket wants 300.00 a year for the links to work.

The add pics

Nikos

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 240

mog5858

thanks for resizing the pics still trying to get things right with the new webpage. well with the holidays behind us i got a little more work done one my track belts. had to make a new stripper plate and some top hat washer for the jig but i think i ready to start punching look out. hope my punch is up to the 500 some odd holes as i did not harden it.
Uyga6tB.jpg

3wywCnV.jpg

0qPUkWm.jpg

mog5858

well back at the tracks almost got one full track done but i got a question about the backing plates. i don't have enough too use all the heavy ones that have a back to them is it ok to have some mix in of the single side one or should i fab up some new back? so far i only have to go back and re-punch one hole that's off not too bad i don't guess the real test is once i get the track on the machine.

Attachments

• IMG_5201.jpg
    IMG_5201.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_5177.jpg
    IMG_5177.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 150

J5 Bombardier

I have seen the old style guides with a flatbar brace added on, they just weren't that great a guide, to light. Would be nice to have all new style on those brand new tracks, but mix them, unless you come across some. Maybe a new thread on fabbing up some dies to make them
J5 Bombardier:hammer:

mog5858

so what your saying is i should make some? is there any place out there making them/ to buy or do you have to get from a parts machine ? i think i might be able to make some but that means one more project for the shop plus i would have to go shopping for more tools for the shop and i might never get the ram back running. i am only missing a few so i might just make them thanks for the info.

J5 Bombardier

Yes , the fun of operating 50 plus year old machines. Plan A is a parts machine. B is parts, that are now getting expensive and hard to find. Plan C make your own, usually it's a combination of the three , to keep them going. I think you have it under control .
J5 Bombardier:hammer:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If your ever in Minnesota,we have several thousand but there still on used tracks.
And would not pay to ship. And to costly at shop rate to remove. But you could cut off a section and the price would be right

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't care what they say about you Boggie, you are alright in my book. I like your altitude.