• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Long time to wake-up coming off standby

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I put my computer on "stand-by" at night instead of turning it down.

When I fire it back up in the morning, it takes forever (5-10 minutes).

Is there a way I can figure out what's causing it to take so long?

I do leave applications open (MS Word, Firefox...). I try to shut down Excel before I use stand-by since I heard it can be a hog.

Any ideas?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think all MS Office apps can be a hog ....but as a rule I do not use standby. I just set it so the disks stop spinning and the monitor goes blank after 30 minutes of idle time. I like that better than standby and it accomplishes about the same thing.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I prefer to close down as much stuff as I can when not using my computer. I always close my browsers since I'm just paranoid like that.

I don't put my main computer to sleep ever. I just have the screen turn off after x minutes of inactivity. I know that the family XP machine that does go into Stand-by mode automatically eventually needs to get re-booted at least once a week.

My Mac works fine when it goes to sleep but it doesn't get worked as hard as my Windoze machines.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Have you tried shutting it down (not just rebooting) and letting it sit for several minutes before starting it back up again?

It can do wonders as far as speeding up your machine when running windows applications. It's a pain when you are used to leaving several apps open all the time, but the time taken to save, shut down and re-boot is more than offset (usually) by the amount of speed you regain.