• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol - DMC - LMC Company History

the old trucker

Yes...This is a very good place to find a Thiokol 601 however when one comes up for sale, you better be fast and have cash in hand.:wink:

WANTED... older Tuckers (running or not) also, tracks (steel or rubber belted) and parts.

Weatherby have you ever thought about calling in help to look for your older tucker ?? Those two guys (Frank & Mike) that are on the show American Pickers Antique Archaeology seem to get all over the country. I would say they have seen some old cats in their travels. I think they are located in Illinois. You'll never know till you ask...
OT.

weatherby

OT....Your the second person that has suggest that idea, and I agree , I think it's a good idea. Those guys (Frank & Mike) may be a good source for old cat parts. I have on several occasions seen some unique and hard to find things in the background of there picks.
Thanks ....I need all the help I can get.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm looking for one that need's work no motor or trans i would like to use a 6bt cummins motor

There's a guy on the forum here that has a bunch of them. They rarely, if ever, see action.(at least that we know of) I believe he lives in Maine. You might want to try him to see if you can pry one of his 32 601's out of his hands.:whistling:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
There's a guy on the forum here that has a bunch of them. They rarely, if ever, see action.(at least that we know of) I believe he lives in Maine. You might want to try him to see if you can pry one of his 32 601's out of his hands.:whistling:
groomer are you saying he should paint his thiokols krusty orange

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
OT....Your the second person that has suggest that idea, and I agree , I think it's a good idea. Those guys (Frank & Mike) may be a good source for old cat parts. I have on several occasions seen some unique and hard to find things in the background of there picks.
Thanks ....I need all the help I can get.
i was watching frank and mike thismorning and they met with a guy who had a crosley snowmachine hanging from his rafters the cool thing was it was drivin with a set of podd tracks that looked like baby tucker tracks.

tomelroy

Does anyone know what the last year they produced the Super Imp and what was the company name at the time. Thanks
I have never seen a 1450 Super Imp without he DMC badge so i would guess 80-83.

I have never seen a 1400 series IMP with a DMC logo, I guess the last 1400 were produced in 79.

I have never seen a 1500 without the LMC logo, so i guess 84-2000.

I do have a 1980 DMC 1200. The cat has the DMC 1200 Badges on the sides. Serial number starts with D0A, thats D, Zero, A and i believe the DMC/LMC Serial numbers indicate the year made in the second digit of the number. For example a 1988 LMC cat might be L8A. The Thiokol serial numbers are not done in this fashion and as far as I know there is no simple way to determine what year a thiokol cat was made. Would be nice if someone posted the production info so cat production date could easily be determined.

ray green

Thiokol also sold units in europe under the name ratract. They shipped the chasis over to europe and had a company in europe build the two man cabs for the 2100Bs which the laws there required for safety.
Rat Green

ray green

History
I have been looking on the site and can find no reference to the 3 wheelers that thiokol made for a few years before honda and the rest came out with them.
Ray Green

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ray,

Maybe you should post some information here about them. I had no idea they made such a thing. I am sure I am not alone. Anything you can share would be great.

Regards, Kirk

ray green

Kirk
Ibelieve that in the early 70s or late 60s the made a couple of batches of 3 wheeled bikes for the ski areas in the west as we had none of them in our service center in the east of canada. They did not stay on the market as this was just around the time of the sunday river lawsuit and the had a tendency to roll over. this was at least 4 years before honda brought out their bikes.
Maybe peterson may be familiar with these?
Ray Green

weatherby

Ray,

Maybe you should post some information here about them. I had no idea they made such a thing. I am sure I am not alone. Anything you can share would be great.

Regards, Kirk

Yep, Thiokol did make a three wheeler, along about 1970, they were called Terra-Cycles. I'm sure I have some photos of them also, I will look them up in a few days when I get back home.

the old trucker

If you google in thiokol terra-cycle, here is what came up. Click on this (Thiokol To Produce All Terrain Vehicle .) & it shows a pic of the bike & a story about it. I don't know how to post it on here.

Did you mean: thiokol terracycle

Search Results

1. Thiokol To Produce All Terrain Vehicle .

news.google.com/newspapers?nid=336&dat=19710322...
    You +1'd this publicly. Undo
    for Terra-cycle, a. the process of setting up dealers across nation," said Elaine Rich, manager of the Logan Division of Thiokol Chemical Corp. Some dealers ...

weatherby

Another pic for your viewing pleasure :thumb:

Attachments

• Thiokol 3 Wheeler.jpg
    Thiokol 3 Wheeler.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,126

Dirtyjoe

I remember seeing these at Welches Fun Cars in salt lake city back in the day,still see them once in a while on ksl.com.

The Sweet Wbj1

Sorry to revive an old thread, but looking for a little clarification here. The guy who has this DMC 1450 is calling it a 1998. Obviously, that does not seem possible unless I am confused. It has DMC badge on the side. What does the serial number start with an L? Shouldn't it start with an L? How can I figure what year it is? I am guessing 1984?

dmc%20tag_zpsrn5ljsdb.jpg

tomelroy

Mine have a DMC badge for the DMC and a LMC Badge for the LMC, but 84 was the transition year. That was probably one of the last 1450 ever made. LMC was still a division of DMC in the 80's.

only my LMC has exterior markings and they are decals.

Trackrig

A historical Thiokol / Juggernaut / Foremost Nodwell Question for you.

Juggernauts were built in the early 1960s. My question is who really built them? Did all three companies have involvement? Most of them just said Juggernaut on the sides of them. Depending on the required payloads, the number of axles varied in a configuration of four tracks. The track carriages underneath pivoted to provide turning. I'm sorry for not knowing how to size the pictures correctly. Scroll to the right for this picture.
juggernaut-de-thiokol-nodwell-8t-cu-16000-pounds.jpg

Here's another one. Look at the right fender, right under the name Juggernaut in yellow and you'll see the name Thiokol in either chrome or white. Also right under the hood emblem is the name Thiokol

31701f20-6ab0-48d1-88f6-8e4e.jpg

This Juggernaut just has the name Foremost on it - no Juggernaut or Thiokol.

1d634567-76e0-48f2-a22f-db87.jpg

I'm 99% sure the undercarriages were made my Foremost / Nodwell. I'm not sure who Juggernaut was? That was Thiokols involvement - did they assemble them?

Thanks,
Bill
trackrig@gmail.com

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the trade mark was owned by Thiokol

Word Mark: JUGGERNAUT
Status/
Status Date:
EXPIRED
1/21/1989
Serial Number: 72249087
Filing Date: 6/27/1966
Registration Number: 0835825
Registration Date: 9/26/1967
Goods and Services: AUTOMOTIVE LAND VEHICLES
Mark Description: NOT AVAILABLE
Type Of Mark: TradeMark
Published For Opposition Date: N/A
Last Applicant/Owner: THIOKOL CHEMICAL CORPORATION
BRISTOL
Why is this contact information displayed?
Mark Drawing Code: Typeset (Words/letter/Number)
Design Search:

catservice

Just ran into an old engine builder. Super cool
guy. He told me that he worked with Emmet Divine & LeRoy France. These two guys were both professors at the university and used the engineering shop on nights and weekends to develop the Frandee. He told me that after these two guys figured things out, the university said they built it using university materials and knowledge. They (the university) then took all the documents and sold it to Thiokol. Basically screwed Emmet & LeRoy.

I have no reason to not believe this guy as he seemed to know a ton of information about Frandees that most people wouldn’t know.

Here is a recent story re DeLorean DMC/LMC history. Difference in this story from ones I have previously seen is that apparently the sale to employees never went through and DeLorean eventually sold it to a shell company that he still controlled. Ending is same though, bankruptcy in 2000

chowderman

I'm just sufficiently a Luddite that I'd buy an 'original' DeLorean just for the fun of it.
there is a company in Texas that restores them to OEM condition . . . bring lots of money . . . .

however comma, so way far too many critics of the car have pointed out how uncomfortable it was, hot, cramped, no ventilation . . . on and on. for me, I'd want to take it on a 5-6 hour fun ride - which, iffin' you did that, you'd regret....

aka: my brother had a Porsche boxster? 'small thing' model - whatever it was . . . insisted my parents take it on a spin from Phila area to visit us in Charleston, SC.
they were calling rental car companies and airlines for prices to get back to Phila without the Porsche . . .

not at all different from an Austin Healey 100 aluminum racing body once in possession . . . fun to drive, cooked your feet, top up or down,,,, wish I had kept that - the aluminum racing body became a mega$$ collector item.

Reactions: PJL

madfoot

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in and say thanks for that vintage pic of the terra-cycles. My grandpa worked for thiokol after returning from ww2 until he retired in the 80s. I grew up riding terra-cycles. He was full of great stories of happenings at thiokol. One of which was when they first built the little 3 wheelers. They hadn’t quite figured out the correct gearing and brakes. One of the engineers accidentally drove one 30 ft up the side of a building. He always said that wasn’t an exaggeration. The guy spent some weeks in the hospital. Anyway thanks agian. I’ll look around his old stuff and see if I can contribute some pics/info.