• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HISTORY: ASV Track Loaders evolved from Snow Tracs!?!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In addition to playing with Snow Tracs, I also play with small agricultural equipment and skid steers/track loaders/mini excavators, etc. I've got a repair project along the river bank behind my home so I've been digging into renting some equipment that is more suitable for the repairs than tractors I own. Locally there is an ASV dealer who rents ASV track loaders so I did a bit of digging and found that the guy who developed ASV track loaders is the same guy who used to import Snow Tracs into the US.

The company history page of the ASV website mentions the connection and I thought I would post it here for anyone interested in Snow Trac trivia.

Attachments

• 1HISTORY--ASV-Inc.jpg
    1HISTORY--ASV-Inc.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 590

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Neat!
They seem to make a very well built machine; wouldn't have made the Snow Trac association had you not posted it.

When I bought my PT, that was one of the options the seller was looking at instead. I haven't followed them much, but I guess the association with CAT has really driven their resale value.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am a big fan of the Power Trac machines, I didn't realize you had one. When I was looking for a slope mower I compared the PT422 with a Steiner 415 and a Ventrac 3000. I ended up with the Ventrac because it was the best for my needs, but if I was looking for an all around tractor, the PT would have won easily. The PT was not nearly as good on the slope as the Ventrac or Steiner, probably due to the weight transfer systems on those machines that increases traction to the front of the machine. But overall the PTs are better machines for multiple uses. I wish I had known more about them prior to buying traditional tractors, but once you have a bunch of money tied up in implements for standard tractors it makes switching to Power Tracs a very expensive proposition and I had no reason to switch. I just had a weekly task that I needed to accomplish with optimum performance, comfort and speed.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
I remember reading your comparisons; mine wouldn't have fit your task at all: 2445 trailer package. That is the neat thing and sometimes frustrating thing about the PTs; they can do so much, but are not the best tool for any one task. Compared to agricultural or construction machinery, I actually won't even call them bullet proof, but for a machine so versital yet still "tip-toes" across a lawn they are pretty well built.

We wound up way too close to Tazewell [partially intentionally :whistle: ] last spring to not pay a visit. Neat machines, but just couldn't justify the $. However, I remembered a 02 550 hour trailer package at 50% of new on their website - and only half the distance as Tazewell; it kept drawing me in, by August I couldn't resist.

Still snow here, but just changed all the filters for summer; 100 more hours somehow just snuck on that meter since we bought it!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Much as I admire the Power Tracs, I would say they are ideal for some but my dream machine would actually be a RUBBER TRACKED New Holland Boomer, about 40hp, with a 16LA front loader, a TNT system on a Cat1/2 3pt hitch, with TNT hooked up to a power beyond hydraulic port, plus at least one spare rear hydraulic port. I would want the rubber tracks to be 'turf friendly' like the optional ASV turf tracks, but I would like them to have reinforced attachment points for the easy addition of 'rough terrain' cleats that could be added on to the tracks. (yes, I dream about machinery at night)