• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

early tucker photos

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Your most welcome......... You have posted lots of neat stuff. Nice to see someone with a passion for cats like us.:wink:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Descriptive to go with the Tucker drawings

Page 1

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 743

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
1944 tucker, grass valley, calif. sold new to webb moffett, ski lifts inc. seattle wa. J J tucker at the wheel.

Actually that picture was taken at Soda Springs , Cal . I recognize the hotel and the railroad track in the background . I have been there many times . It is the same road that will take you to Serene lakes in placer county .

Hi Glacierparkbus

Thanks soooooo very much for sharing all the great old Tucker photos. I've been very busy with work and home stuff and have been away from the forum for awhile.

I thought I had a pretty good knowledge of Tucker products before - but I had no idea of some of the prototypes they experimented with that you have shared here.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks again!!

Mark

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
something different, still tucker

Attachments

• early tucker159.jpg
    early tucker159.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 703
  • early tucker162.jpg
    early tucker162.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 725

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
tucker

Attachments

• early tucker163.jpg
    early tucker163.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 694
  • early tucker164.jpg
    early tucker164.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 693
  • early tucker165.jpg
    early tucker165.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 704

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Very interesting!, dual wet disc brake steering, almost a Delorean style track and
Body just needs gull wing doors. Thanks Jinn!

Almost looks like like top driven sprocket above the track, positioning of the three guys in the picture would hide it.
Large V8 engine

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
couple more photos

Attachments

• early tucker161.jpg
    early tucker161.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 681
  • early tucker160.jpg
    early tucker160.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 693
  • early tucker158.jpg
    early tucker158.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 673

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That machine would have a extremely low center of gravity and possibly was built for summer or dirt travel. With the top rear mounted drive to have the less ammount of debris. I wonder of it still is? Would make a nice museum piece

Thanks for the post

jask

That machine would have a extremely low center of gravity and possibly was built for summer or dirt travel. With the top rear mounted drive to have the less ammount of debris. I wonder of it still is? Would make a nice museum piece

Thanks for the post

I was thinking the same thing,... and with those grousers it would own icy sidehills. Probably would be less fun in deep powder.
not sure of the vintage but i am thinking this would predate the Kristi machines?
again.... thank you!! Jinn :)

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
according to info on the back of a few of the photos, the machine was know as Bobcat, built late 60's, anyone pick up on it has a small block chevy V-8

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
more bobcat, even color ( orange )

Attachments

• early tucker187.jpg
    early tucker187.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 646
  • early tucker180.jpg
    early tucker180.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 649
  • early tucker182.jpg
    early tucker182.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 644
  • early tucker183.jpg
    early tucker183.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 651
  • early tucker184.jpg
    early tucker184.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 649
  • early tucker185.jpg
    early tucker185.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 652

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Amazing photos, it appears the one disc is a clutch and one is a brake the dual disc brake set is receiving its fluid from internally which would indicate it to be a rotating group

Would love to find this machine if it's still out there? What a great find

Thanks

PS. Noticed the idler say H & K. Most likely Holden and ?

jask

This is great! I feel like we are on a guided tour of the evolution of the design. the second and last pic are obviously not part of that design but as a transitional track they tie the two design together and lead us to the modern track. Do you have any further information on the Bobcat? Was it just a design project or was it designed for a specific application?
The leaf springs in the front and center positions are intriguing,the pins seem very small for the sort of loads that would be expected. I wonder how the rear point was articulated? it appeares to be a square tube- rigid from the frame with some form of articulation at the beam.

need ....
more...
info...

:)

jask

Thanks! it looks like the square tube might be a travel limiter to prevent the beam ( and track ) from moving too far away from the drive sproket.
Do you know what became of this machine?

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another link to tie into the second page:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/a...Trans-Antarctic-Expedition.html?frame=3030804

"We'd scarcely set off before we ran into trouble. This was the first deep crevasse, just 25 miles from Shackleton. Leading from the front Bunny's Sno-Cat Rock 'n' Roll became jammed nose first in the far wall. In such cases recovery was a long and skilled manoeuvre and often seemed impossible, but our engineers always managed to figure a way to haul our vehicles to safety."

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And one for you users of the 'fiber tons' for decreased weight:

"Heretofore, the pontoons, and the endless track engaging elements thereof, have always been made of steel or like heavy metal, and their total weight has been considerable and such as to cause the vehicle to sometimes bog down as, for example, when traversing light or powdery snow.
It is, therefore, the major object of the present invention to provide a pontoon unit, for the purpose described, wherein the body is made of a material such as rigid Fiberglas or similar plastic material which is relatively light compared to steel; there being, on such body, an endless track engaging structure of wear resistant material such as steel or the like."

Attachments

• toon.jpg
    toon.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 683

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And one for you users of the 'fiber tons' for decreased weight:

"Heretofore, the pontoons, and the endless track engaging elements thereof, have always been made of steel or like heavy metal, and their total weight has been considerable and such as to cause the vehicle to sometimes bog down as, for example, when traversing light or powdery snow.
It is, therefore, the major object of the present invention to provide a pontoon unit, for the purpose described, wherein the body is made of a material such as rigid Fiberglas or similar plastic material which is relatively light compared to steel; there being, on such body, an endless track engaging structure of wear resistant material such as steel or the like."
And heretofor where as I have worked on both the Fiberglas and steel pontoons find forthwith that the Fiberglass may just be containing more mass than the steel. Next time I have both apart I will weigh each, independent and heretofor separate.

jask

I did a double take when I saw the oil lamp heating device in the drawing, has anyone seen any photos of this early style pontoon with a access door?

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The first three posts. But I didn't know what they were for before either.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
"In order to maintain the housings (l) are heated or warmed so as to prevent freezing of the various shaft bearings mounted in the housings, a heating device of suitable character, as indicated at (H), is disposed in each housing, being accessible from covered manholes (E8) in the outer side of the housings."

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did a double take when I saw the oil lamp heating device in the drawing, has anyone seen any photos of this early style pontoon with a access door?

Here you go jask

Attachments

• Early tucker machines.jpg
    Early tucker machines.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 669

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This history is amazing. Thank you for sharing with us! Hoping to bring lots of knowledge Back East In April!