• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

got the snow trac and pb out.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
we went up to do work on some ham gear and made sure we could climb the steep grade up to the old microwave site Saturday. a pistenbully canyon,snowmaster,two snow tracs.
DSC00152.jpg

we noticed while eating lunch that the cotter keys broke and fell out on the drive chain on the snow master. see the broken ones on the bottom.
DSC00160.jpg

one strand of the rusty barb wire made a fix good enough to get back.
luckily some of the wire was cut off long on the fence when built and it was trimmed off then untwisted for pins. hey ,it wasn't bailing wire!
DSC00162.jpg

PJL

You missed a long day at the Sno Jammer Poker Run. I'll post a few pics later. More sleds than you can count.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
3 'Sweed's' and a German! All powered by VW engines! No "Orange anywhere in sight! And two of the machines are over 50 years old?

They produced roughly as many P1 Rolls Royce cars as Snow Trac's. Most of the Rolls Royce's still run,... but they are in Museums! "Jolly Good Show!"

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Contrary to what some seem to believe your cat doesn't have to be Orange to get were it is going in the snow. :hide:

In the mid west we go UNDER the tree's as we have very few conifer's to go around as they do out West. Orange machines would never make it under the tree's we drive under, not around.

Some say the Snow Trac's grousers are to shallow to get the job done. This has not been my experience ever...

Wonder what they would say if a Snow Trac showed up painted Orange? :thumbup::yum:

Regards, Kirk

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Contrary to what some seem to believe your cat doesn't have to be Orange to get were it is going in the snow. :hide:

In the mid west we go UNDER the tree's as we have very few conifer's to go around as they do out West. Orange machines would never make it under the tree's we drive under, not around.

Some say the Snow Trac's grousers are to shallow to get the job done. This has not been my experience ever...

Wonder what they would say if a Snow Trac showed up painted Orange? :thumbup::yum:

Regards, Kirk

Kirk, Kirk, Kirk...

I'm one of the naysayers, or "Snow Trac deniers", if you prefer.

Really? You're claiming Snow Trac proficiency in deep snow based on THESE photos? Look at the chain link fence and how it's basically as tall as the shorter person's neck. That makes the total snow depth what, maybe three feet? Maybe? And look how far the tracks aren't sinking. Oh my God, there's four inches of powder. We better break out the BIG snowshoes!!!!

But all "powder" is not created equal. Snow in the PNW, where these pictures were taken, has much higher moisture content than snow in Utah or Colorado. That higher moisture content translates directly to better flotation, because the snow is more dense.

And BTW, the reason you can drive under tree branches isn't only because a Snow Trac is so "vertically challenged", it's because of all the snow that ISN'T THERE!!!
:clap::clap::clap::th_lmao:
Don't take any of this seriously...I'm just having fun with you...

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
uhhhh, hmmm Kirk Kirk Kirk

you do know, it is very dangerous to get into the tree wells in winter, it is a very serious situation and there are always a couple of deaths due to falling into tree wells, please stay out of the tree wells in winter

so, just what trees are you driving under? maybe a maple, but not pines, firs, etc,

FYI, my Orange Tucker can go anywhere your snow track can and places that you can't go...
and do you remember a couple of clowders ago and a certain Tucker torpedo...

I still recommend buying a snow track...best value for the money and cute, really cute snow cat:eatdrink::eatdrink::eatdrink:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk, Kirk, Kirk...

I'm one of the naysayers, or "Snow Trac deniers", if you prefer.

Really? You're claiming Snow Trac proficiency in deep snow based on THESE photos? Look at the chain link fence and how it's basically as tall as the shorter person's neck. That makes the total snow depth what, maybe three feet? Maybe? And look how far the tracks aren't sinking. Oh my God, there's four inches of powder. We better break out the BIG snowshoes!!!!

But all "powder" is not created equal. Snow in the PNW, where these pictures were taken, has much higher moisture content than snow in Utah or Colorado. That higher moisture content translates directly to better flotation, because the snow is more dense.

And BTW, the reason you can drive under tree branches isn't only because a Snow Trac is so "vertically challenged", it's because of all the snow that ISN'T THERE!!!
:clap::clap::clap::th_lmao:
Don't take any of this seriously...I'm just having fun with you...

I dug down to the grass to install markers to tell the depth from a camera mounted on the tower. this is me standing on the ground.the red tape is the 4ft mark. snow trac tracks can be seen next to me.
DSC00129.jpg

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
SO what is being said about Tuckers is there is magic pixy dust snow that a Snow Trac will not go in... but a Tucker will...

Even if that is true, no were but in Colorado and Utah does this pixy dust fall to the ground. Pretty small area were there is snow fall IMHO..

Not to mention, in a Snow Trac if your fallowing a Tucker, you get the feeling your watching paint dry. LOL!! Slow moving vehicle signs, well a Tucker needs two of these to signify how truly slow they are!

Yes you Tuckerites, I am poking fun your way. In the "steep and deep" all one needs to shame you is and ST4B the "SNOW MASTER" and you would hang your head in shame LOL! :thumbup:

Not to mention a lot less "vertically challenged" by low hanging anything... :wink:

BTW our snowmobile clubs Tucker 1000 spends a lot of time in road ditches, were many times it gets stuck trying to go over field drive ways. What a PITA that is... Rubber tracks are junk. Our old Ski Dozer has no such issues.... At groomer school we were shown a picture of what happens when you run your blade to low and catch a stump at grooming speed. That machine was damn near folded in half! A total loss for our Iowa DNR grooming program....

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
SO what is being said about Tuckers is there is magic pixy dust snow that a Snow Trac will not go in... but a Tucker will...

Even if that is true, no were but in Colorado and Utah does this pixy dust fall to the ground. Pretty small area were there is snow fall IMHO..

Not to mention, in a Snow Trac if your fallowing a Tucker, you get the feeling your watching paint dry. LOL!! Slow moving vehicle signs, well a Tucker needs two of these to signify how truly slow they are!

Yes you Tuckerites, I am poking fun your way. In the "steep and deep" all one needs to shame you is and ST4B the "SNOW MASTER" and you would hang your head in shame LOL! :thumbup:

Not to mention a lot less "vertically challenged" by low hanging anything... :wink:

BTW our snowmobile clubs Tucker 1000 spends a lot of time in road ditches, were many times it gets stuck trying to go over field drive ways. What a PITA that is... Rubber tracks are junk. Our old Ski Dozer has no such issues.... At groomer school we were shown a picture of what happens when you run your blade to low and catch a stump at grooming speed. That machine was damn near folded in half! A total loss for our Iowa DNR grooming program....

Regards, Kirk

oh you are on to something,

yes, you need pixie dust, but, not for what you think, it is to keep them running, and a very deep pockets, $$$$$

yes, you are correct again, in the over the snow travel food chain, the Tucker pontoon machine is barely one step above snow shoes, yes, they are SLOW, that is why they are painted ORANGE.

and if you want to go fast, get a Kristi KT-3, speed demon for the snow. or a bombi with a chevy V-8

and, as for STB4 Snow Master, that was a very clever marketing ploy and wonderful joke by the good folks in Sweden

and if you recall several of my posts on the subject, I have consistently said, buy a snow trac, buy a snow trac, buy a snow trac, buy a snow trac, buy a snow trac.

but now back to the real world, I would never go out in anything but a Tucker, enjoy the journey, get more smiles per mile, and home again.

one thing for sure, you will never see a Tucker on the streets of Stockholm, Sweden, but in the day, you did see lots of snow tracs, as winter set in, you would park the Volvo and use your snow trac to get to work. think of snow tracs as, a winter time Volvo with a German 38 HP engine...they go good on plowed roads

buy a snow trac!

Last edited:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I dug down to the grass to install markers to tell the depth from a camera mounted on the tower. this is me standing on the ground.the red tape is the 4ft mark. snow trac tracks can be seen next to me.
DSC00129.jpg

Jim, Thanks for the pic and the explanation. Definitely deeper than I thought.

Here's a pic for you and Kirk. It's where Tuckers hang out...

DSC00955.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 191

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
and, as for STB4 Snow Master, that was a very clever marketing ploy and wonderful joke by the good folks in Sweden

Nice try. At 0.32 lbs/inch the Snow Master has less ground pressure than any Tucker I'd wager. They have also got much more aggressive grousers than a standard ST4. A well regarded member here witnessed one of these out climb a Tucker at altitude in powder snow as I recall...

But of course there are 200 Tuckers for every ST4B these days.

BTW Blackfoot does your powder snow settle like it does here? We get both types here, and the light dry stuff is a lot better after 24hrs or so of settling in.. I have never had the pleasure yet of taking my machine to Colorado. On my to do list however...

Regards, Kirk

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice try. At 0.32 lbs/inch the Snow Master has less ground pressure than any Tucker I'd wager. They have also got much more aggressive grousers than a standard ST4. A well regarded member here witnessed one of these out climb a Tucker at altitude in powder snow as I recall...

BTW Blackfoot does your powder snow settle like it does here? We get both types here, and the light dry stuff is a lot better after 24hrs or so of settling in.. I have never had the pleasure yet of taking my machine to Colorado. On my to do list however...

Regards, Kirk

buy a snow trac

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I did, almost 10 years ago!! :thumbup:

Tuckers are not nearly as portable, and that was important to me. That old match box toy certainly helped, however.... :wink:

Regards, Kirk

you should have bought 2

I am laughing so hard right now, last time I checked both my 400 series tucker and my snot track fit on the same trailer and weight pretty much the same, nice try!!!

yup, the TOY it a great reason to buy a snot track ooops snow trac

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Regards, Kirk

It does settle, and sometimes we'll get a bunch of dry snow over a higher moisture content base and the avalanche danger skyrockets. In the backcountry, that is a serious hazard, and one must be constantly vigilant.

Back in January 2003 I had a brand new (third ride) Polaris Vertical Escape snowmobile. A buddy and I went sledding and there was a lot of snow. We went to a place he named "The Toilet Bowl", because the cross section of a toilet is similar. You literally "drop in" over an edge with the top being very steep and then it shallows out. My friend went first and I followed about 15 seconds later. All was going well when all of a sudden I felt the sled being pushed along in a different direction. The next thing I remember was tumbling in the snow over and over before coming to rest buried. I was very, very lucky as though I was on my back, I was close enough to the surface that some light made it apparent which way was up and I was able to put a hand through and then move the snow from my face.

My buddy helped dig me out and the sled was probably 150' further down the slope. After an avalanche the snow quickly sets up hard and it took a fair bit of time to dig the sled out. Right trailing arm bent like a pretzel, right front shock broken, various steering parts were bent, the tunnel was bent and we never did find the windshield. I never again took avalanche danger lightly. I think the saying "God protects fools and drunks" is appropriate: I was an idiot.

Just having the proper gear isn't enough. The avalanche beacons I've had are relatively primitive (hopefully they're better, now) and required skill and proficiency to use them effectively. A couple times when snowmobiling with a group, we'd hide a beacon in the snow and then everyone would use their beacons to find it. It was always ugly. If I said "Imagine the Three Stooges"; I'd be painting an accurate picture.

You might find this link interesting:

https://theleonardo.org/little-science-behind-greatest-snow-earth/

I wish my powers of description were better, because there are some days that are simply magical in terms of the snow, the multiple feet of fresh powder and the sunlight making the snow sparkle like a field of diamonds.

Die-hard powder skiers talk about making first tracks after a big dump. Well, imagine having square mile after square mile of virgin fields of new powder to just you and your buddies... You are literally making first tracks for hours...

This video does a good job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d94oPqbLXOA

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I see what you mean. Lol

A Snow Master would be interesting to see in powder like that. We just do not have that much of the dry stuff here. We had nearly a foot of it here earlier, and it is a wonder the wind did not blow for days fallowing. It settled and hardened enough for another foot of snow and 50mph winds. This filled all the ditches and buried some fences in the farmlands here. Really good running for a Snow Trac imho.

Lol I do mean we run under the tree's here. We don't get enough snow to bury them!!

Regards, Kirk

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I see what you mean. Lol

A Snow Master would be interesting to see in powder like that. We just do not have that much of the dry stuff here. We had nearly a foot of it here earlier, and it is a wonder the wind did not blow for days fallowing. It settled and hardened enough for another foot of snow and 50mph winds. This filled all the ditches and buried some fences in the farmlands here. Really good running for a Snow Trac imho.

Lol I do mean we run under the tree's here. We don't get enough snow to bury them!!

Regards, Kirk

yes, Iowa is a prefect place for snow tracs, not so good for tuckers, tuckers do not like hard pack frozen stuff

So, in your part of the world, snow tracs are the king of the overpass (the highest point on the landscape is a overpass)

buy a snow trac

PJL

Chick magnets=SnoTracs

Mr VT McCall 2017.

Attachments

• DSC00727.jpg
    DSC00727.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
in my snow trac yesterday heading for the hot springs.
interesting trip yesterday 20 miles in . I let the girls drive

DSC00172.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Stockholm syndrome and Jim Vermont, the only known cure is a very Orange Tucker Sno-cat. come drink the Kool aide and join the mafia

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Stockholm syndrome and Jim Vermont, the only known cure is a very Orange Tucker Sno-cat. come drink the Kool aide and join the mafia

that's what I have? my wife says otherwise. we snow trac owners sure love it and all the cash saved by not having orange. I will have a kool aide with you at McCall . you know someone has to be the underdog.
jimvt