• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Toyota Buy Back

DAP

I'm not sure if this has been covered here or not, but recently (and I'm a latecomer apparently) I learned the following:

If you own a 1997 through 2001 Toyota Tacoma (I think those are the right dates), Toyota will buy back the vehicle at 1.5 times the highest Kelly Blue Book value.

Here's what I'm lookin at:

1998 Reg Cab, with AC, Cassette, 5sp Manuarl and the 4 banger, alloys, bedliner. Paid 13k cash for it in 2001 with 43,000 miles on it.

As you can see, it is still in decent shape some 7 years and 80,000 miles later and the dealer will write a check for 11,7000 USD for it.

Seems that the frames fail with perforated members rusting through due to a "missed dip" in the line.

It's a liability issue now. If you happen to drive onto a lot with one they will keep it if at all possible and mail you a check.

This thing has been a complete maintenance champ. Oil and filters. That's it. Not even a brake change!

Any other Tacoma owners out there saying goodbye?

Attachments

• P0004809.jpg
    P0004809.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 142

urednecku

Site Supporter
Let me see....7 years usage, 80,000 miles, and besides regular maintenance, it only costs you $1,300?? Yes, I think you got your money's worth.
And yea, the liability could cost Toyota a lot more than that.

DAP

Let me see....7 years usage, 80,000 miles, and besides regular maintenance, it only costs you $1,300?? Yes, I think you got your money's worth.
And yea, the liability could cost Toyota a lot more than that.

The real difficulty is that I'm not really ready to part with it. It's A: paid for; B: runs like a top; C: I can get pert near 40 square bales in it; D: gets about 23 mpg,

Last year at this time, I was looking at super duty diesels with a crew cab and an 8ft bed ...

I figure if fuel prices keep going up, within a year, it could be an even trade: my tacoma for your 02//03 F350 crew cab dually with the 7.3L DI

:glare:
:glare:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
... even trade: my tacoma for your 02//03 F350 crew cab dually with the 7.3L DI
Won't be even, after you add in a year's operating cost differential!

Five years's differential considering fuel prices in the latter years? Do you *really* need a 350? :mrgreen:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What a deal. I wish I had a Tacoma. I know someone who sold his a year and a half ago to get a Dodge SUV. :bonk:

DAP

What a deal. I wish I had a Tacoma. I know someone who sold his a year and a half ago to get a Dodge SUV. :bonk:

Dangnabbit Doc .. I don't post a lot ya know, but I been here since 05!

Cant ya gimme another GREEN THINGY!

:chicken:

OSUfan

I know a coworker who use to have one of theose trucks with the recall. It was a nice looking truck. The guy had a nice suspension lift on it and I believe 32" tires. He had to let them buy it back from him. If I remember right I think he said he got 6500 for it. Which isn't bad... but you defenatly got the better price.