• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SOLD 1983 DMC 1450 wide track for sale soon

The Sweet Wbj1

SOLD I will soon be listing my 1983 DMC 1450 wide track and Thiokol tilting dual axle trailer. This cat has sat in my garage in Atlanta for a few years now. It was owned by the Department of Energy. Drives forwards, backwards and loads on a trailer no problem. Unfortunately, being in Atlanta I have never had it out in the snow. Not listing it just yet as there are a few more things I need to finish up. So just a heads up for anyone that may be looking for a cat this year. For a substantial price increase, say $7,000, I would consider selling it with no engine or transmission.

The cat has:
-455 hours
-New exterior paint job. All doors, windows, badges, etc removed for paint.
-Ford Industrial 3.3L inline 6
-C4 transmission
-OC 12 rear end
-Foam filled tires
-Front and rear winch quick connects
-Nice cargo bed with a "truck box"

The trailer is the heaviest duty Thiokol tilting trailer I have ever seen.

Attachments

• IMG_8514.jpg
    IMG_8514.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 793
  • IMG_8515.jpg
    IMG_8515.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_8513.jpg
    IMG_8513.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 755
Last edited by a moderator:

Dadbeau

Re: 1983 DMC 1450 wide track for sale soon

How much for the cat and trailer?
I am confused on the no engine & transmission note

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

that joke is a forum ribbing type joke.

that is a really wide Wide track.

Sweet cat!

PJL

Pretty cool that it comes with the US plates too.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Very nice looking machine with super low hours!!!

While the DMC 1450 may "look like an Imp", there's a world of difference between the various models, and IMHO the DMC 1450 is the best of breed, and this is a wide track machine to boot!

To expound a bit, the original Imp came out in 1964, had a 30 HP Wisconsin V-4 engine, a 4-speed manual transmission (with a hand clutch). Payload was 1400 lb, with 3,600 sq in of track. The DMC 1450 has a Ford 6 cylinder that's rated at 104 HP, a 3-speed automatic transmission. Payload is increased to 2,400 lbs and a wide track has 4,788 sq in of track area. Comparing the two, despite their somewhat similar appearance, is truly "apples to oranges".

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter

How much extra added to price for a set of wipers? Nice looking Cat!

The Sweet Wbj1

Dadbeau - I haven't really decided on a price yet.

PJ - I thought the tag was cool. It was under the seat. In the truck box there was a track jack and a survival candle kit!

Blackfoot - Thank you for the extra info!

Wakeup - Wipers will be included for NO CHARGE!! I have them, just haven't gotten them back on yet!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Mr, Buffet I would entertain an engine and transmission included price, I have some really cool trading bits as well.

I'm afraid if you pull the motor and transmission it would be out of my price range. unless of course you professionally rebuild the tracks, idlers and what not......

(I'm being sassy, but I am serious about the price check)
I have all the colors, even orange ones.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter

great cat and will put tucker sno cats to shame, very capable machine and give the Stockholm syndrome snow tracs a real run for the money, so, come on what is the price, how many tuckers does it take to buy it?

you are such a tease, did you go to the PT Barnum school of shameless of self promotion, great marketing, it is for sale but not just yet, and lets see who steps up and makes an offer that you can't refuse, while the rest of us are left waiting for a price, brilliant!

Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

I figured the "trading bits" comment out of the Ringling Bros. play book would blow up my PM box......especially the orange colored ones move....

I even have an engineless tucker in the trading pen. :cool:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter

and the price is???

I can see it as a great people hauler

Attachments

• DcatBackLg.jpg
    DcatBackLg.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Very nice looking machine with super low hours!!!

While the DMC 1450 may "look like an Imp", there's a world of difference between the various models, and IMHO the DMC 1450 is the best of breed, and this is a wide track machine to boot!

To expound a bit, the original Imp came out in 1964, had a 30 HP Wisconsin V-4 engine, a 4-speed manual transmission (with a hand clutch). Payload was 1400 lb, with 3,600 sq in of track. The DMC 1450 has a Ford 6 cylinder that's rated at 104 HP, a 3-speed automatic transmission. Payload is increased to 2,400 lbs and a wide track has 4,788 sq in of track area. Comparing the two, despite their somewhat similar appearance, is truly "apples to oranges".

In my quick synopsis of differences I left out something significant, and I want to correct that.

My understanding of the evolution of the Thiokol snow cat models is they had a pretty unusual and unique drive system in the early years of 4VLs and it's siblings. Then Thiokol went to using the OC-4 rear differential, which I think can be described as "fine for light duty usage", but Thiokol later switched to the OC-12, which is much more robust. Well, the DMC 1450 got the upgrade to the OC-12, which further reinforces my contention that it is the best of all the Imp variants, and being more desirable deserves a significant price premium over the earlier 1404 and 1402 models.

People who have read my posts over the years know that one of my hot button issues is parts availability. And really it's not just that you can find parts, but that you can find them at reasonable prices. My understanding is the engine in the 1404 Imps is a 1.7 Liter Ford V-4. To make matters more complicated, Ford actually made two 1.7L V-4 engines. One was called the "Essex", named after the plant in England where they were built, and the other was the "Taunus", named for the German Ford car model the engine was designed for. The Taunus engine was built in Cologne, Germany I can't speak intelligently about the differences between the two engines, though they had different bore and stroke configurations. I believe neither engine was used in a US automotive application, though Ford did sell a 1.7 liter industrial engine for various applications and I think that was the Taunus version.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can elaborate on the differences as well as parts availability...

vintagebike

Ford 1.7 V4

Just starting to recover from the Paradise Fire. Not much left of my bone stock, original 1968 Saab Sonett ll with the Ford V4.
Thankfully, we lost no family, pets or friends.
DF8DF124-2BF0-42A6-A4A9-2E3233392D99.jpg

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

I believe if you dig back a bit in the hay day of the forum, there is a layer of pre-tucker enthusiasm that was present here on the forum. that enthusiasm was the thiokol lineage

Nutster had a an imp that was well designed. heavily modded

the members before that build would share a lot of good info about the power plant. I think taunus was the correct motor, it shared the 2.8L motor we enjoyed that power plant in the small ford ranger, it is a bolt in for the mid yeared imps (post air cooled - pre 200 Cu )

I have a push rod in my 1404 imp from a ranger, installed by the seller, invoice in the paper work pile.....

the OC-4 only has a light duty rating on this forum. every where else it lives, (in the Oliver world) ( Clark world ) ( cletrac world ) it is known as one tough sum Biotch.

There are many Oliver dozers and Loaders that moved loads of dirt and gravel and mining carts that toiled in mines sporting those rear diffs. most all had the benefit of external drop boxes and that is where operator ignorance shows up. I include myself in that descriptor. the pinion is tiny You would be hard pressed to break that pinion is torque is applied and the ring can turn. ( if you are froze down, I was.... and in a crisis..... I was you can break a ring, I did. ) the little old lady got to the hospital, I am learning the nuances involved in setting up a pinion that is part of a differential.

the super imp is a speedy light weight imp. it is much heavier than a standard imp.
The HP to Weight formula is consistent all across all snow cat platforms as they evolved. if you are struggling to follow this last statement put 1950 pontoons on a 1970's tucker.

Put 1980's carriers on a 2000 model year. ALL current Tucker machines are insanely heavy these days their foot print has not changed.

imps grew in stature both foot print and hp

The Sweet Wbj1

Thanks everyone for all the great Imp info!

Y'all are going to twist my arm and peer pressure me to post a price before I was ready. I wanted to get some good pics of the trailer and all that before I figured out and posted a price. Anyway, I will be asking $23,000 for it with the engine and transmission. Like I said still a few things I need to get done on it, like putting the wipers back on! Being in Atlanta I think this gives any East Coasters a much shorter drive than having to go get one out West. However, I do spend a good bit of time in Montrose, CO so for anyone out West that wants it I could get it to Montrose for you.

Redsqwrl - Unfortunately I can't do any trades on this one. My snow cat stable only has one stall. I am clearing out this stall so I can move in the Snowzilla machine I am getting from Blackfoot!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Well as you continue to serve your circus wheeling and dealing apprenticeship.......

the trading wasn't for your stable... the key to the ringling methodology is to find something YOUR seller wants and then work your barters in that direction....

I'm concerned about you, you might be taking this snow cat thing too serious, like perhaps the notion that Owning just one is acceptable!?

I hope you realize this is an attempt at humor.

any one need a Terra tracked 1642?

PJL

23,000 sounds very reasonable to me.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter

hey squirrel, you really need to make a deal for the DMC 1450, you need it!

let's see gizmo squirrel, using his Ringling and Barnum training, has now found an interested party for his 1642

now gizmo, needs 1 or 2 more to come the circus,

pretty sure squirrel will show us all how it is done

fyi, great machine, fairly priced and you will not be infected with Stockholm syndrome

Last edited:

201spryte

I believe if you dig back a bit in the hay day of the forum, there is a layer of pre-tucker enthusiasm that was present here on the forum. that enthusiasm was the thiokol lineage

Nutster had a an imp that was well designed. heavily modded

the members before that build would share a lot of good info about the power plant. I think taunus was the correct motor, it shared the 2.8L motor we enjoyed that power plant in the small ford ranger, it is a bolt in for the mid yeared imps (post air cooled - pre 200 Cu )

I have a push rod in my 1404 imp from a ranger, installed by the seller, invoice in the paper work pile.....

the OC-4 only has a light duty rating on this forum. every where else it lives, (in the Oliver world) ( Clark world ) ( cletrac world ) it is known as one tough sum Biotch.

There are many Oliver dozers and Loaders that moved loads of dirt and gravel and mining carts that toiled in mines sporting those rear diffs. most all had the benefit of external drop boxes and that is where operator ignorance shows up. I include myself in that descriptor. the pinion is tiny You would be hard pressed to break that pinion is torque is applied and the ring can turn. ( if you are froze down, I was.... and in a crisis..... I was you can break a ring, I did. ) the little old lady got to the hospital, I am learning the nuances involved in setting up a pinion that is part of a differential.

the super imp is a speedy light weight imp. it is much heavier than a standard imp.
The HP to Weight formula is consistent all across all snow cat platforms as they evolved. if you are struggling to follow this last statement put 1950 pontoons on a 1970's tucker.

Put 1980's carriers on a 2000 model year. ALL current Tucker machines are insanely heavy these days their foot print has not changed.

imps grew in stature both foot print and hp

To say the 2.8l V6 from a Ranger etc is a "bolt in" really is a stretch! Bell housing bolt pattern is the same as well as the motor mounts and if you source an early enough 2.8 it will have funky "siamese" heads on it that combine two of the exhaust ports making manifolds and piping line up with where the V4's would have been but the motor is obviously longer and space is VERY limited in the little 1402/4 engine bay. Cutting out the radiator and moving it forward is the answer but thats just the start of a bunch other fun problems!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

mr vintage bike, isn't the lost in space machine based on the DMC 1450?

PP, I remember being glued to the TV as a youngster watching Lost in Space and thinking The Chariot (as it's called) was the coolest thing ever. But that was back in the mid-sixties, well before Thiokol introduced the 1450.

A fellow back east built a replica and I understand takes it to malls and such for various promotions. Here's the story behind it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoImogGmT-c

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter

PP, I remember being glued to the TV as a youngster watching Lost in Space and thinking The Chariot (as it's called) was the coolest thing ever. But that was back in the mid-sixties, well before Thiokol introduced the 1450.

A fellow back east built a replica and I understand takes it to malls and such for various promotions. Here's the story behind it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoImogGmT-c

oh, the great Blackfoot Tucker, you are right, but was it not still built upon a thiokol chassis?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

To say the 2.8l V6 from a Ranger etc is a "bolt in" really is a stretch! Bell housing bolt pattern is the same as well as the motor mounts and if you source an early enough 2.8 it will have funky "siamese" heads on it that combine two of the exhaust ports making manifolds and piping line up with where the V4's would have been but the motor is obviously longer and space is VERY limited in the little 1402/4 engine bay. Cutting out the radiator and moving it forward is the answer but thats just the start of a bunch other fun problems!

well stated, it bolts up is better word usage. the fact that the harmonic balancer on my V-4 ( or what you call the HB) is actually the end of the cam shaft. and it being driven by a phenoic gear to make it quiet still blows my mind. that motor is cool on so many levels....

A Motorsport acquaintance of mine campaigns saab sonnets at road america in elk hart lake Wisconsin. He desires the imp front engine covers, I seek the accessory pulley from AC equipped saabs. occasionally he shares juicy little bits of information about how to buy a starter motor for $70 or part numbers for carb kits... I wish I kept better notes

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

being a 1450 owner in the past and knowing them somewhat better after my restomod... this unit I would say worth at least $30k in my opinion... but than again, all up to the buyer's "evaluation".

Very nice looking machine! One I would keep in my collection if I had the space

The Sweet Wbj1

Here are pics of the trailer. It is very solid. Two brand new tires on the rear axle. The other tires and the spare are in great shape with pics included to show tread life. Brakes on both axles. Winch on front and back. All lights and brakes work as they should. Putting a new trailer jack on it.

Attachments

• IMG_8546.jpg
    IMG_8546.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_8547.jpg
    IMG_8547.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_8548.jpg
    IMG_8548.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_8550.jpg
    IMG_8550.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_8551.jpg
    IMG_8551.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_8554.jpg
    IMG_8554.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_8553.jpg
    IMG_8553.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_8552.jpg
    IMG_8552.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_8555.jpg
    IMG_8555.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_8556.jpg
    IMG_8556.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_8558.jpg
    IMG_8558.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_8560.jpg
    IMG_8560.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_8562.jpg
    IMG_8562.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 229

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter

really good machine and well worth the asking price and you get a decent trailer also. it is a no brainer