• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Recovery is in sight: Twinkies to return this summer!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
By Martinne Geller

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The new owner of Hostess Brands Inc's snack cakes hopes to have Twinkies back on U.S. store shelves by this summer, according to a member of the purchasing group.

"Our family is thrilled to have the opportunity to reestablish these iconic brands with new creative marketing ideas and renewed sales efforts and investment," Daren Metropoulos, a principal at his family's private equity firm, told Reuters in an email on Tuesday.

"We look forward to having America's favorite snacks back on the shelf by this summer."

Daren's father, Dean Metropoulos, teamed up with Apollo Global Management to offer $410 million for Twinkies and other snack cakes. Their offer was to serve as the minimum offer for the business but no other bidders emerged.

News of their winning offer was revealed late on Monday in a court filing.

http://news.yahoo.com/owners-hope-twinkies-u-store-shelves-summer-175652370--sector.html

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know guy's, might be like buying a Homelite 30 years ago and buying one today. Not really the same product.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Ahhhh, the Ford Edsel. A really spiffy car with a two-tone paint job, lots of chrome and an unfortunate distraction in the front!

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a friend who is an Edsel collector. Okay, he's really a Ford dealer that was never able to dump the inventory they stuck
him with. He describes the Edsel as follows:

"A car designed to meet a demand that wasn't there and that was designed to use standard Ford parts ... until you actually need one!"

As a personal aside, it has always seemed interesting to me that the guy who authorized production of the Edsel was the
same guy most responsible for the policies used in conducting the war in Vietnam: Robert McNamara. Terrific decision
maker, eh? :ermm:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I would LOVE to have a collection of Edsels. Matter of fact, if our child is a boy, he's getting named Edsel. Lith is even on board with it!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Because the Edsel is the key to automotive happiness. Let me enlighten you:

Unique
Rare
Gutsy
and just all around Bad Ass

Any questions? :D
I did a resto on one back in the 80's. Not worth the trouble.

Unique? hardly,,,,,Odd? yes, but just a chromed up Dolly Pardon Ford Mercury
Rare? well yeah, nobody bought them....
Bad ass????,,,,more like a Lincoln Town car on qualudes.

JMHO but I'll bet I could find a person or two who would agree.

And certainly, the Edsel in nothing like a Twinkie.

If you don't like Pontiac Boonievilles then how about an Oldsmoble Cutlass,,,say 1969,,,1970 Or the Starfire series?

When we can drive cars like that again,,,,the world will be a better place.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I did a resto on one back in the 80's. Not worth the trouble.

Unique? hardly,,,,,Odd? yes, but just a chromed up Dolly Pardon Ford Mercury
Rare? well yeah, nobody bought them....
Bad ass????,,,,more like a Lincoln Town car on qualudes.

JMHO but I'll bet I could find a person or two who would agree.

And certainly, the Edsel in nothing like a Twinkie.

If you don't like Pontiac Boonievilles then how about an Oldsmoble Cutlass,,,say 1969,,,1970 Or the Starfire series?

When we can drive cars like that again,,,,the world will be a better place.
Hey, I like Bonnies, too. And ANY Oldsmobile is tops in my book, ESPECIALLY a Starfire. But I love me the weird, unique, and rare. It's right up my alley. And guess what? I like classic Renaults, too!!! So there! :yum:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey, I like Bonnies, too. And ANY Oldsmobile is tops in my book, ESPECIALLY a Starfire. But I love me the weird, unique, and rare. It's right up my alley. And guess what? I like classic Renaults, too!!! So there! :yum:

Well then here is sumptin' for your collection,,,
http://www.cafepress.com/+1958_ford_edsel_shower_curtain%2C640804430?cmp=pfc--ca--us--571--640804430&utm_term=640804430&utm_content=ChannelAdvisor_US_shopping&utm_campaign=Shower%2BCurtain&utm_medium=productfeed&sourcecode=affiliate&utm_source=CSE&pid=5185601

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a friend who is an Edsel collector. Okay, he's really a Ford dealer that was never able to dump the inventory they stuck
him with. He describes the Edsel as follows:

"A car designed to meet a demand that wasn't there and that was designed to use standard Ford parts ... until you actually need one!"

As a personal aside, it has always seemed interesting to me that the guy who authorized production of the Edsel was the
same guy most responsible for the policies used in conducting the war in Vietnam: Robert McNamara. Terrific decision
maker, eh? :ermm:

Robert S Mcnamara

The "S" stands for Strange... Yes really!

Back to the subject,,,,DS, your example suggests that Rusty has a good point. Perhaps we can consider things back to NORMAL when a big company can foolishly present a product under the conditions as described by your friend, and it is the company, not the taxpayesr, that takes the financial hit for the joke.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Robert S Mcnamara

The "S" stands for Strange... Yes really!

Back to the subject,,,,DS, your example suggests that Rusty has a good point. Perhaps we can consider things back to NORMAL when a big company can foolishly present a product under the conditions as described by your friend, and it is the company, not the taxpayesr, that takes the financial hit for the joke.
That is exactly what I meant.

What? OK maybe I just really love Edsels.

But I totally agree with what you posted.