• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fuel prices going mad

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Fuel prices are going up, predicted to go to over £1 litre here, by my calculations thats about $7 US gallon
Its about 98p litre today for diesel, costed £50 to half fill the van. I used £7 of fuel mowing today. Still, maybe it will keep some people off the road.

On another note, ale is now £1.75 a bottle in the shop, and lager is £3.50 a pint in the pub

Life is getting expensive, its funny, it pains me to spill fuel, knowing that that puddle on the floor cost someone 50p+

P

Pigtails

I hear You... We just got back from Utah and Neveda.. Fuel was Almost $3.00 a gal there!! :pat:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Normally in my hometown, a small midwestern town, we have enjoyed some of the lowest fuel prices in the country. This afternoon I noticed that our leading chain of gas stations has now crossed the $3 mark. That means that regular unleaded prices in my town have gone up .51 per gallon in the last 8 days. :(

Diesel is still at $2.79.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
We should hit the $3.00 mark in the next day or so. My wife when filling up the Suburban only put $50.00 in it hoping that fuel would go back down before she empties the tank. Our problem our smaller car we had to loan out to our son while his is in the shop.

I think it is ridiculous when the big companies are recording record profits. I demand an investigation. :whistle:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Most of the US refiners are switching over from MBE(?) additives to Ethenol, the problem with that is that Ethenol cannot be transported via pipeline because it will absorb water, it must be trucked or carried by rail or barge. This crossover is cause a major problem with the US prices, but there is no question that increased global demand is raising prices worldwide.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Bob,

From what I am hearing is the ethanol is going to cost us just as much if not more. Right now the price per gallon is less, but you also get less miles per gallon and if the demand for ethanol goes up it will end up costing us more. But, then it would help our economy as far as corn production being needed more.

murph

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Just now finally even.........................................In 1976, after graduating from high school, I bought a 1 year old 1/2 ton GMC pickup with 10,000 miles on it for $2695.00 out the door. Gas was then about 49.9 at the cheapie stations, and 55.9 at the name brand places. I remember going off to college that fall and gas was going up to 65.9 at some stations & I wondered how I was going to be able to afford the commute back & forth from home to school. Looking forward to 2006, a 1 year old 1/2 ton pickup with 10.000 miles on it( a bare bones model) is going for 16-18 thousand if you can find one at all. That's an increase of about 6X on the truck price in 30 years. Considering the inflation in our economy, gas has really been a real bargain for a long long time and is now just getting in line price wise with what everything else costs us. I don't want to pay it either, but I think the higher fuel prices are here to stay.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yuk, my Foden gun tractor does about 6 miles to the gallon - think it will be severely restricted on milage when it is better - gearbox problems.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes Tom, you're right. I recall quite well that gas prices just jumped the week before I got my driver's license. It had been in the 40 something cent range for years and when I filled up my very first time I'm positive that gas was .56 a gallon. I was not only worried about being able to afford gas at those crazy prices, but I was honestly worried that we were going to run out of gas. Taking that price and comparing it to the inflation rate, as much as it hurts to admit it, gas prices have been relatively low. Hopefully they don't go to the high end of the scale to make up lost ground.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo . . . I can remember when White Castle Hamburgers were 12-cents, that is the cheapest gas I know of.

Murph . . . yup I believe that you are correct that there is no price advantage to using ethanol. But the current spike up is partially due to the switch to ethanol which has higher transport costs.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Now you have me wanting a slider. Thanks. Was gas prices at about .31 when you got your license Bob? Afterall, you are older than me. :poke: I remember as a little kid that my dad would run between two stations by us depending on which station was .31 and which was .32 a gallon.

buy_25

Banned
here we go again..another fuel price topic:pat::pat:. Welcome to life. It was over $3 per gallon days ago here. It feels like KBN here asking over and over ...... Did we not go have threads like this back in December??????

Most people are still doing nothing to change there usuage of fuels; me included. I could careess.

Pay the price and move on in your life.

Gas is still cheaper then diesel..he he he

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Now you have me wanting a slider. Thanks. Was gas prices at about .31 when you got your license Bob? Afterall, you are older than me. :poke: I remember as a little kid that my dad would run between two stations by us depending on which station was .31 and which was .32 a gallon.

Honestly I don't have a clue what gas prices were back then. I don't remember what they were when I started driving either. But as I grew up down the street from a White Castle Hambuger stand in Whiting, IN, I do remember when the price when from 12-cents to 14-cents! :eek:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
buy_25 said:
Pay the price and move on in your life.

Gas is still cheaper then diesel..he he he

That is basically what has been said; gas prices have been comparatively low for decades. It's catching up now. Do I like it? No. Will it change my personal driving habits? No. Will I lose any sleep over it? No. Will I agree with people who say that they hate to see it go up? Yes. I don't see anyone groveling over the prices or saying Armageddon is here. They just don't like seeing it finally go up although it was inevitable.

P.S. Diesel prices here have been lower than regular unleaded prices for several months now. :thumb:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Gee Bob, you were supposed to take the bait about age. Apparently age isn't bothering you either. Just so other's know, Bob is only 2 years or so older than me. I'm not really riding him about his age...

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:

Ahhh...I can bring ya some Monday. I'm sure they will be fine cold and after the flight. :puke1:

buy_25

Banned
Dargo said:
P.S. Diesel prices here have been lower than regular unleaded prices for several months now. :thumb:
Diesel is still more then super around here (MA and CT) ; and has been since 2002. gotta love it! :yum::yum::yum:

buy_25

Banned
They just don't like seeing it finally go up
Welcome to 2006 & life!!!!!. It is not 1950 forever nor do I like many things in life. It is called deal with it and be a man. Wait till this winter again. Same crap with heating prices etc. blah blah.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Dave. Good link! It lets me prove what I stated. Here is my area:

Diesel Cheaper here

Oops! My "area" is the 2nd area; the "Evansville/Henderson" area.

buy_25

Banned
DaveNay said:
http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/CTavg.asp
http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/CTmetro.asp
http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/MAavg.asp
http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/MAmetro.asp

Diesel is currently sitting in between regular and mid gasoline prices, and has a record high that is lower than the record high of regular.

:tiphat:
gee, I just LIVE here and know what I see. Do you live here???

I do not need links since I LIVE in MA and drive in CT everday..Links are incorrect.

Today super duper is $2.95 and diesel is $3.05...any questions?

If you drive around the city like a clown. cheapest diesel is $2.89 and super duper is $2.71..Again if you want to waste your time.

Lastly, it [diesel] has been HIGHER then super duper in 4 years. I should know, I live here. And I am glad it is higher.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
buy_25 said:
Today super duper is $2.95 and diesel is $3.05...any questions?

Yeah, I dealer friend of mine just showed me info on a Lexus LX470 counterpart sold overseas that is diesel. He told me that Lexus may have it here in '08. You gonna buy one? :poke: :rock: It does look pretty sweet to me. I'd like to see one.

buy_25

Banned
Dargo said:
Yeah, I dealer friend of mine just showed me info on a Lexus LX470 counterpart sold overseas that is diesel. He told me that Lexus may have it here in '08. You gonna buy one? :poke: :rock: It does look pretty sweet to me. I'd like to see one.
Diesel lexus? I doubt that will happen very much. It is like Toyota has had small pickups over seas that are diesel; not here.

But, no I would not buy a lexus diesel. If fact I am TRYING to get the wife to buy the new GS300. Then again I want another bike! :)

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
We're off gas prices a bit, but the Toyota Tundra and Sequoia plant is just up the road from me. I have several friends and relatives who work there. They have told me that Toyota has brought in several pickups with the Toyota diesel engine in them that already conforms to the new low emission standards and will run on the ultra low sulphur diesel that will be out 1/1/07. Based on that, I do think that Lexus may bring their diesel over. The LX470 gets pounded by their competition for getting worse fuel economy, less hp, less power and a lower towing rating. From what I'm told, their diesel is awesome and gets at least 7 mpg more per gallon. Fuel prices have been much higher in Europe for many years and they have been required to have low sulphur diesel for years. Over there diesel's dominate the road. Since we are moving in the direction to be just like them on fuel quality and fuel price, it seems logical to me that we will begin to see more diesel vehicles here just like they have there.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
We're off gas prices a bit, but the Toyota Tundra and Sequoia plant is just up the road from me. I have several friends and relatives who work there. They have told me that Toyota has brought in several pickups with the Toyota diesel engine in them that already conforms to the new low emission standards and will run on the ultra low sulphur diesel that will be out 1/1/07. Based on that, I do think that Lexus may bring their diesel over. The LX470 gets pounded by their competition for getting worse fuel economy, less hp, less power and a lower towing rating. From what I'm told, their diesel is awesome and gets at least 7 mpg more per gallon. Fuel prices have been much higher in Europe for many years and they have been required to have low sulphur diesel for years. Over there diesel's dominate the road. Since we are moving in the direction to be just like them on fuel quality and fuel price, it seems logical to me that we will begin to see more diesel vehicles here just like they have there.

Yeah...everyone keeps talking about the new 2007 Tundra (to be built in Texas) is going to have the Toyota diesel, but they haven't confirmed it yet.

buy_25

Banned
I do not get why everyone is talking about it. It (Tacoma disel) has been for sale for several years outside the USA.

It only gets like 28 MPG while the USA (gas) gets what, low 20's? It will take years with higher price to buy and diesel price to break even.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
buy_25 said:
I do not get why everyone is talking about it. It (Tacoma disel) has been for sale for several years outside the USA.

It only gets like 28 MPG while the USA (gas) gets what, low 20's? It will take years with higher price to buy and diesel price to break even.

Aww, c'mon!! You know you want one so bad you can taste it. You can't tell me that it wouldn't be better than your old ps diesel!! I know it's not another bike you want...:D