• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stores checking recipts at the door.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I recently read this but I dont agree. Whats your opinion?

Letting stores check your receipts You know those stores like Best Buy or Fry’s who treat you like a potential shoplifter after you leave and want to verify your receipts at the door? They have no right to do it! The worst is when there’s a huge line and they expect you to wait there. Just walk past and say “no thanks” when they go to look at your receipt. They legally have to let you go. The one exception are “clubs” like Costco where you’ve agreed to allow this in your membership agreement.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I recently read this but I dont agree. Whats your opinion?

Letting stores check your receipts You know those stores like Best Buy or Fry’s who treat you like a potential shoplifter after you leave and want to verify your receipts at the door? They have no right to do it! The worst is when there’s a huge line and they expect you to wait there. Just walk past and say “no thanks” when they go to look at your receipt. They legally have to let you go. The one exception are “clubs” like Costco where you’ve agreed to allow this in your membership agreement.

I haven't come across anything like this thus far, Sushi.
Most of the stores I shop have those panels at the door to walk through, after you check out.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Unless I'm in a membership store, I don't let them check my receipt.

If they insist or get in my face, I let them know they either let me pass or arrest me for shoplifting. I let them know if they take choose the latter and there is no evidence of shoplifting, they'll have further issues with me, my attorney and the law. They always let me pass...

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Me too. Fry's is the only place I shop that does this. For some reason they put the most hardheaded and inexperienced new hires on door guard so of course the kid goes nuts verifying every last box of staples and ream of paper shown on the receipt.

I just tell them I've already checked it and walk on out. Fry's has learned by experience they can bluff but they can't back it up with anything.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
To go a little off topic, I had a check out kid forget to activate a $50 Menard's gift card that I'd bought for my brother in law last year.
I was ticked off and embarrassed when he bought home improvement supplies, then the card wouldn't "work".
I took the card back to the store myself (no receipt grrrrrrrr) and explained that I'd clearly recalled standing in line and watching the kid take the wrapper off the gift card.. whether he activated it, I don't know.
I was busy putting other things on the counter out of the shopping cart, assuming he knew what he was doing.
Still makes me angry to think about it.
I refused to argue with store management and bought another gift card, making sure it was activated.
Bozos!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Next time, skip the gift card and give cash and instructions on where to spend it. I doubt most men would care.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
To go a little off topic, I had a check out kid forget to activate a $50 Menard's gift card that I'd bought for my brother in law last year.
I was ticked off and embarrassed when he bought home improvement supplies, then the card wouldn't "work".
I took the card back to the store myself (no receipt grrrrrrrr) and explained that I'd clearly recalled standing in line and watching the kid take the wrapper off the gift card.. whether he activated it, I don't know.
I was busy putting other things on the counter out of the shopping cart, assuming he knew what he was doing.
Still makes me angry to think about it.
I refused to argue with store management and bought another gift card, making sure it was activated.
Bozos!
Sorry to hear that. Even without you having a receipt, I'll bet their system has a copy of the transaction. I've gone into stores months later with a return and all I have to do is give them the item and my credit card. Their computer spits back the info on when the card was used for any/all purchases of that items UPC.
On a related note, I've found it doesn't work to buy a card and then immediately use it. It normally takes 24 or so hours for activation. If I'm buying a big box-store (Home Depot or Lowes) purchase, I buy that amount in gift-cards from the grocery store then go to HD/Lowes to buy the item. Well, the card(s) aren't yet activated. Oh, I buy the cards at the grocery store since their "points" give me cheaper gas.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Since I didn't have a store receipt, the jerk manager said they would have to investigate it, because as far as they could tell it was considered a stolen card.
I did suggest they look into it, but I never got a call back. :(
Like I said, I bought another card from them and made damn sure I watched the cashier activate it.
From now on, it's Lowe's or Home Depot for me..
Hrrrrrrrmnnnnnnnnphhhhhhhh screw Menards! lol

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
because as far as they could tell it was considered a stolen card.
They're screwballs.... The card has no value until activated so in fact, it's really not a stolen item since it has no value. I'd bet you could grab a handful of cards and take them with you saying "I'll activate them later" and they should just let you take them.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
They're screwballs.... The card has no value until activated so in fact, it's really not a stolen item since it has no value. I'd bet you could grab a handful of cards and take them with you saying "I'll activate them later" and they should just let you take them.
Believe me, I tried to explain to them that I had about $100 worth of store items that I paid cash for (including the damn gift card), I even told them right down to the last detail what I'd bought.
Christmas decorations, a large bag of Jack Links beef teriyaki jerky (for the brother in law as well) and a toy for the dog.
I told them approximately what time I made the purchases.
Seems it was going to be hard work for them to look into it.
bahhh, I don't care.
They suck, I won't shop there again.
I was a fool to go back a second time and get a gift card, but I wanted to make it right for my brother in law.
I consider it my $50 Christmas F-up of 2006.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think we have had this discussion some time ago in another thread. I am not going to search for it though. If I remember right it was mostly over Sams and Walmart. Sames and Walmart's reasoning is they want to make sure you got everything on the ticket??? yeah right. It is all a joke because the performance of the guy going the work is worthless. He looks and runs a yellow line through the slip. He doesn't move anything around or anything like that.

murph

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Its there is deter theft. I would imagine some theif getting nervous if he might get checked.
Though at Frys, I agree. It bugs me. Its right after checkout and the way they set it up I cant see ANY theft. But Im not a thief so... maybe they have statistics that it helps? :idea:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Could be to catch internal issues too. If their friend lays 5 items on the belt and one costs $3.00 and the other 4 costs $100, the cashier could scan his or her buddies $3.00 item 5 times. The receipt still shows 5 items purchased, but a closer look shows the cashier in kahoots with the "shopper". My son worked in security at a large retailer and saw it almost every day.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Everybody knows to watch for thieves.

What they teach you in classes on auditing the effectiveness of physical security systems, or IS (data) security, is that the real risk is internal. People see the huge stream of $ going through the system and spend years devising a method to divert some.

Little guys take merchandise, like the guy I wrote up who ordered more jeep winches than the government needed so he was selling the excess at the flea market. He almost made it to $15,000 then somebody turned him in.

One of the larger inside thefts I saw in the newspaper was a clerk responsible to pay the dredging companies quarterly for their work keeping a shipping channel open. One of the companies existed only in her imagination but she paid it (paid herself) for years before someone noticed.

I got stuck in Lodi (well, Stockton, same thing) for a whole Christmas season one year making that District Office miserable because a fraud had been discovered in another district hundreds of miles away, and I was already onsite doing a routine audit. Every time they figured out another thing that had gone wrong in the problem district, I was asked to search for the same weakness in 'my' district. I didn't find anything aside from the scrap dealer was allowed to weigh the stuff he took and nobody verified his claimed weights, but the potential loss for that minor issue, and not too likely to happen, was just a few hundred $. That problem district had lost cash that should have been in the safe, well over $100,000, and there were no records to determine the real amount. I heard it was collusion among the office coke head bunch, one of whom was the supervisor who was dating the cashier when he should have been an independent control checking her accuracy. It was my colleague doing the routine audit in that district who discovered the problem.