• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fluid level in Tucker transfer case

1955tucker443

I've never figured out what the proper fluid level is in the Tucker tranfer case on my 1955 model 443. The fill hole is on the top of the case(accessed under the seat) and there are 2 small (1/4 inch) "inspection" plugs on the front of the case. One is just above the output yokes and the other just below. If I fill the case to the upper plug I get alot of leakage out of the yokes (even when not running) - possibly bad seals? If I fill it to the level of the bottom plug I get little or no leakage even while running. Does anyone know what the correct level is?
Thanks, Tom

Tucker-Terra

Call Tucker Sno-Cat Corp. 541-779-3731. Ask for Jeff Godard in Parts and Service. He will be able to help you. Good Luck

1955tucker443

Thanks, Tucker-Terra for your suggestion. Jeff was very nice but only had a guess - "fill it to the upper level to be sure". A freind of mine has a 1965 Tucker and he has 2 inspection plugs - both at the same level - above the yokes. So Jeff is probably right and I need new seals.
Jeff sent me the original shipping records for Sno-cats of my year: the one shipped before mine went to Paris, France and the one after mine went to Londan, England for the Trans Antarctic Expedition - cool stuff!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
At a guess, I would say the lower one of the two on that old of a piece of equipment. The seals back then weren't like the ones today, more than likely they were "Wiper" seals that stop the oil from leaking out when running in a storm of oil when driving, and they have little holes for the oil to drain back into the sump. When you fill to the high side, you are putting those seals "under" the oil level and it's maybe the reason they are leaking and doesn't with the lower level.

1955tucker443

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Fogtender. Two friends of mine were both of the same opinion - that those seals weren't designed to be under the oil level. I have a 1956 International Travelall with a New Process 201 transfer case. The fluid level on that is above the front driveline yoke but well below the transmission and rear driveline yokes. The front driveline yoke seal dosen't leak but that yoke rarely turns (thanks to the locking hubs). I was thinking of changing the seals on the Tucker case - I suppose a good parts guy could tell me if the old ones are wiper seals or not and that might answer the question? Thanks again.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Thanks for your thoughts on this, Fogtender. Two friends of mine were both of the same opinion - that those seals weren't designed to be under the oil level. I have a 1956 International Travelall with a New Process 201 transfer case. The fluid level on that is above the front driveline yoke but well below the transmission and rear driveline yokes. The front driveline yoke seal dosen't leak but that yoke rarely turns (thanks to the locking hubs). I was thinking of changing the seals on the Tucker case - I suppose a good parts guy could tell me if the old ones are wiper seals or not and that might answer the question? Thanks again.

In the old style systems like that, the oil "Storm" of the spinning parts covers everything in an oil bath. If you pull it apart, you will find an "oil slinger ring" that is a disk before the wiper seal, it spins on the shaft and keeps the oil from going out past the wiper seal. was a common system on older equipment and engines.

You can also just look at the seal housing, there may be a raised section at the bottom where an oil drain galley is drilled to allow the oil being "slinged", can drain back into the sump, where the newer seals don't have that.

Catless

Hey Tom:

Attached please find the picture of my transfer case on my 69 now that I'm out of the wild and back to the land of DSL...........

Photo taken from the rear of the "transfer case" showing the oil level above the output yoke. That's the way it was supposed to be filled 14 years after yours was produced. It looks like Tucker got tired of fielding this question and finally embossed the fill level on the case!

Have you checked yours out yet?

grd

Attachments

• transfercasesmall3.JPG
    transfercasesmall3.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

1955tucker443

Hey Greg

Thanks for the photo, I wish mine was as clear cut as that! I haven't got around to pulling yokes or anything else for that matter. Some day soon I'll tear into it.

Hope you got some things done on your Tucker while you were at the mine. Talk to you soon.

Tom